PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Weaponry!!

lovdog
04-22-06, 07:57 AM
I thought a little weaponry update might bring things in perspective since you are either a part or becoming a part of the military of the United States. I have always been a little alarmed of our capabilities - and it is frightening to say the least when it comes to the "amount" of firepower that the United
States has in its possession. To my knowledge, there have been four (4) incidents that could have resulted in collaterol damage to the world, not just the United States. One was as recent as 1995 when a rocket (joint US and Norway for scientific purposes) was launched from Norway and Russia perceived this as a first strike. For your information I thought this article on the Trident might prove useful. As I recall - the last I had heard that there was enough nuclear weapons in the world today to destroy it (Our Planet) 26,000 times!!
After looking at these calculations for the Tridents - remember that we have 18 Trident Subs today, not 14!! This is the Trident Submarines alone, this does not count all of the ICBM's that are located throughout the USA.
http://nukewatch.com/projectelf/tridentkilling.html

Sleep well, my Marines. SF

yellowwing
04-22-06, 05:22 PM
(Our Planet) 26,000 times!!
I don't know if its that high. A buddy toured one of the silos in North Dakota. The Air Force guy said that the main reason why there was such planned overkill was the reliability of the machinery. An ICBM is so complicated that really weren't sure how many would actually work.

Tiamat13
05-07-06, 05:38 PM
Toward the end of the cold war there was enough combined nuclear weaponry between The United States of America and the now former USSR to vaporize every square mile of land on earth 3x.
Nuclear subs, like the new Seawolf, carry Theatre class ICBM's with MVRW payload that can target and hit 8 seperate targets. Each Thermo Nuclear warhead is about 50megatons of yeild.

Tiamat13
PS: If MAD occurs, and all nuclear capable nations launch all weapons, the only life that could survive on earth for an estimated 500,000,000years would be those dependant on deep sea thermal volcanic ecosystems.

Wyoming
05-07-06, 05:43 PM
PS: If MAD occurs, and all nuclear capable nations launch all weapons, the only life that could survive on earth for an estimated 500,000,000years would be those dependant on deep sea thermal volcanic ecosystems.

... or a family of cockroaches.:cool: