PDA

View Full Version : Any advice

tflhndn
04-20-06, 07:46 PM
I just got a call from my PLT SGT and I'm on standby to go to Iraq. While nothing is definate it is highly probable.

I have not yet been and any advice from people that have been would be greatly appreciated. I'm 1161 Refrigeration Mechanic and would be working in utillities.

Thanks in advance

Old Marine
04-20-06, 07:49 PM
My advise is: KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.

outlaw3179
04-20-06, 08:37 PM
Start getting your affairs in order. Calling your Creditors. Advise them that your are being deployed each one has different ways of dealing with deployed servicemen but all of them under federal law has to comply with the soldiers and sailors relief act. Gett your will ready, and also if you choose to, a living will. I know its kind of morbid but its very necessary and it will also help you keep your mind on your task while your over there.

Some stuff that I found really usefull:

1. Cold weather gear. Sometimes it gets really really really cold.

2. Digital camera

3.Invest in a good digital watch.

4.Ipod

5.Another set of Ballistic goggles. ( I didnt like my Wiley-x's ..would fog up to bad. )

6. A better rigors belt.

7.I cant remember exactly the name of them but there are a certain kind of earplugs that expand during a loud noise. Some of our Marines would wear them during convoys in case of an IED blast.

With regards to military gear Im not sure how much patrolling your going to be doing but if you want to you can invest in different vests, magazine holders, gloves, and all other kinds of cool gear. I bought all my stuff from http://blackhawk.com/ . I would definetly suggest getting gloves and extra magazine pouches and if you want to more eye pro.

If you have any questions or anything else feel free to PM at any time . Ill do whatever I can to answer any questions to make sure you come back safe and in one piece. Semper Fi Marine.

mrbsox
04-21-06, 11:58 AM
Some stuff that I found really usefull:

7.I cant remember exactly the name of them but there are a certain kind of earplugs that expand during a loud noise. Some of our Marines would wear them during convoys in case of an IED blast.

Look at SUREFIRE for some new ear pro they are offering. I got a set that I'm using during my MOUT training, and like them. They are a bit expensive, but are comfortable, don't fall out or work loose, and you can still hear pretty well.

I might add a pair of 'snips' for cutting. Take a 67gr. 5.56 spire point FMJ, and turn it into a 60gr. blunt nose. :D (kiddin on that)