PDA

View Full Version : Draft boards stay ready - just in case

fontman
04-20-06, 01:22 PM
By Pauline Jelinek
Associated Press

Sitting on a military draft board is not a taxing job right now. With no draft, the boards have, well, no work to do - nearly 11,000 people training for a crisis that may never come.

"It's not hard at all. There's nothing to it," deadpans Michael Cohen, a Selective Service System board member from Highland Park, Ill.

That could change if there is a national crisis and if the government decides the crisis requires a return to the draft that ended 33 years ago. Officials say they don't expect to restart conscription - public sentiment is heavily against it - but should they, draft boards could face their biggest work load in history as they help decide who gets drafted and who doesn't.

Until then, a draft board member's main chore is training.

At half-day annual sessions, they keep up on rules for granting postponements, deferments, exemptions and conscientious objector status. They also learn how to hold meetings, judge evidence and elicit testimony.

Then, as boards have done since the system was created in 1980, they wait.

"It's a ghost of a job," said board member James Stephen Brophy of Burke, Va.

And a ghost of its former self.

Before the draft ended in 1973, some people demonstrated outside of draft board offices and burned their draft cards to protest U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War. Many baby boomers still remember the names of board members who judged their cases.

Today, most people don't know the boards exist.

An agency independent of the Defense Department, the Selective Service System trains board members and plans alternative national service for objectors, but its main task is keeping an updated registry of males aged 18-25 - now some 16 million individuals - from which to supply untrained draftees that would supplement the professional all-volunteer armed forces.

Conscientious objector groups, and occasionally some members of Congress, oppose the idea of keeping the Selective Service at the ready.

But few opponents focus on the boards, which wouldn't be activated unless there's a draft.

"Nobody's complaining about what we're doing," said Brophy, an attorney who was appointed a board member five years ago. "It might change if there was a crisis."

Indeed, repeated polls have shown that about seven in 10 Americans oppose reinstatement of the draft. Yet with President Bush saying U.S. troops will remain in Iraq for years and with the Pentagon now calling the war on terrorism the "Long War," many Americans find it hard to believe repeated government assurances that there are no plans to revive conscription.

"Beware of attempts to revive military draft" has been a typical Internet headline in recent years.

If the government restarted the draft, here's the plan:

-A lottery would choose the order of callups from those millions registered.

-Draftees would report for physical, mental and moral evaluations.

-When evaluation results are in, they'd have 10 days to appeal their status.

Training has taught board members to expect a range of claims - "students who want to finish college ... ministers ... people that don't believe in fighting," said board member Helen Obernagel, 45, of New Athens, Ill.

"We're here so that they don't have to go scrambling around looking for people qualified to determine who's eligible and who isn't," said Cohen, a 66-year-old retired firefighter who is one of America's 10,300 local board members. There are also several hundred appeals boards above the local boards.

Board members are young, old, of different races, incomes - dentists, secretaries, maintenance men and real estate agents.

There are long lists of volunteers for the unpaid positions, which are filled through nomination by each state's governor.

Officials say diversity on the boards would make any new draft the most equitable ever. And draft boards could have more work than ever.

More people could apply for exemptions because more men have custody of children now. And more might be supporting parents because of the increasingly graying society and looming Social Security problems, Brophy said.

What would happen if there were no draft boards ready?

"If everyone said 'no, no, no,' who would decide?" said Obernagel, a board member since 1992 who works two jobs: massage therapist and hospital secretary.

"When you see a war like we're in now, you don't know what will happen," she said. "We're always ready to be called up, in case they need us."

Oh well, my draft number was 13 back in 1969 so I decided to join the Corps vs. getting drafted into the frickin' Army, thank God!

:flag:

rktect3j
04-20-06, 01:32 PM
We aren't ready for a draft yet. But when we are you can bet that three months after the draftees arrive the Marines currently serving are not going to be too happy to be on the recieving end of it.

My dad got drafted. His papers came about 6 months after joining the Corps while in El Toro, I think.

Old Marine
04-20-06, 07:48 PM
I believe we should have a draft.

During Nam I trained recruits in Diego and we had a whole lot of draftees. These guys were a little older, and thus more mature and were great recruits.

Don't know how they were when they got to the fleet, but while in Boot Camp most were model recruits.

For those who do not like the draft, I say when a young man graduates High School he should serve two years and then go on to College or do whatever he thinks his calling is.

hrscowboy
04-20-06, 08:51 PM
oooorrrraaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh gunny, I couldnt agree with you more...

redneck13
04-21-06, 05:14 PM
:evilgrin: :mad: I get all up tight when I even think about the "DRAFT." Yes, I too while training recruit's in Diego, had some draftee's, that the Corps chose while standing in line at the deportation point to head for training. I was a witness to it when I joined the corps. Draftee's, were in front of us, this Military person, went down the line....Marine's, you five, Army you six, Airforce?, don't remember, Navy, you three and so on. Even though my time on the field may have been a bit later than the hard draft, I still got some. Yes they were more mature, older, and wasn't looking for any "give me stuff."
However......I am totally against any draft. Rummy Dummy has seen to it that the Military has downsized. They are destroying B-52's other aircraft as I speak here. If there's a downsizing in every area, why should there be any talk of a draft? Isreal is the only country I've heard of where it's mandatory I think, even for women to serve two years in their armed forces. I don't think that's democracy. If a larger scale war, of any sort would come about, and the draft was institued? We'd have more than ever before, people leaving this country to avoid it. The draft no matter what is said, picks the poor, uneducated, as most when I seen it happening. It is so unfair, unbalanced, and they'd go nutsoid trying to figure out what to do. No, No, NO.."DRAFT!!" Carry on Maggot's.

rktect3j
04-21-06, 05:35 PM
Plain and simply put you should serve your country, yes, but it is better if those serving their country want to do it. A draft will just bring the morale and mentality level of the Corps down. If there is a draft I say let the other Armed Forces have the newbies. In order to earn the title Marine you should really want it bad.

redneck13
04-21-06, 05:41 PM
:flag: You got that right R man....I don't want to see our beloved Corps go down hill with people who don't want to be one of the, woops, The one and only best Branch of the Armed Force's in the world. Amen brother. SF All you maggot's, get out of my face!!!

innersanctum
04-25-06, 06:39 AM
For those that would know, does a draftee get treated differently than a volunteer through boot and even in the fleet? You know would there be any advantages to raising your hand in advance vs being forced to be there?

Night Jump
04-27-06, 02:28 PM
When the draft ended in favor of an all-volunteer military, many college-bound students breathed a sigh of relief. I fully agree that some sort of national service should be compulsory if it isn't voluntary. That reinforces nationalism and provides an opportunity to render service to others for those who would otherwise avoid the opportunity. If it was something like the Civil Conservation Corps or assignment to National Parks Department or supportive role for military personnel, it would be a step in the right direction. I think that step should have been taken in peacetime; however, to start the draft now, during a time of conflict, would send the wrong message. It might imply desperation to friends and enemies who perceive us as "overcommitted" or stretched. If a program of volunteeerism was effectively marketted to high school and college students (e.g., partial tuition assistance for those who volunteer for other-than-military roles), I think it might be successful. The draft was regarded as an intrusion in the lives of the draftees, but it did provide an appreciation of country and service for those who might otherwise have missed it. An awareness of history and respect for the flag seems to have deteriorated since the draft ended. A new generation has developed without that awareness, and I view that with concern.

redneck13
04-27-06, 04:04 PM
:evilgrin: :mad: :!: There's no need for a Dat Blame Draft period or for that matter any other civil duties that would "help" our Military. The Military makes it's "quota" based upon the Sec. of Defense, Rummy Dummy's thinking of "how many do we need?" The Military is now made up of lower income people, young men and women who can't find a job, the poor, and some who just want to serve and get the bennies of College money, trade job, money/training. Other's who want to make a career out of it, and goes to an Academy to become an Officer. If a person wants to dedicate their lives to the CC camps, or other, that's great....but, when Uncle Sam, (my land of time, ain't he in our face/homes/business enuf already?) starts telling more people that "YOU WILL SERVE?" You wouldn't believe the uproar......Yes everyone should be thankful for such a "great country." Honor it, enjoy it, take care of it.....yes there are some who don't do this. It's our Job as Marines to educate the public.....No matter how small, how big, we as Marine's, are to advise and tell people, "hey?, Pinhead.....If it wasn't for the Military, you wouldn't have your freedoms, so don't put 'r down." If you don't like something? Well then don't cause a big demonstration, the pen is mightier than the sword.
Before WWII, My Father, worked in the CC camps. When he got his time done, the war broke out....He got his notice for the Draft. NO WAY HE SAID, I'll volunteer. So, even with this (I hate this "generation crap") difference in thinking of some who just want a "free ride?" Well, that's the the way it is. We as Marines, should again, advise those who show disrespect, discontent, about our "Country", don't "*****", do something, like..."JOIN THE CORPS."
SF Now carry on Maggot's.

lovdog
04-27-06, 05:08 PM
I agree with no draft at present times - but I do believe it is vital to our country's defense to have a strong military - and that includes a civilian population that has some military training. The USA has been duped into thinking that no one will ever cross our terrain for a direct confrontation on American soil and that may be true at this time. But even Empires thru history thought they were too big for their britches at one time or another & lived to regret their cockiness while being overthrown and wondering how such a thing could happen to such a Superpower. And, such empires have fallen because only the military was in position to fight a war - sure, alot of civilians in the USA have guns but how many really know how to use them or even band together a group to defend their cities or towns from an attack because of their lack of any military training?
It could, (and I say could) be in the future that an atomic device or chemical dirty bombs could be used that was no larger than a briefcase - set about 50 off simultaneous in 50 large cities around the USA - including Military bases - and you start to eliminate the large part of our civilians and our military forces right off the bat - eliminating the people that are trained to retaliate!!
Can't get a briefcase onto a Military Base because of security - yeah, right!!
Ok, so maybe this sounds too far fetched, but no one thought that Tim McVey would or could do the damage that he did in Oklahoma City with a couple of 50 gallon drums of fertilizer either. All it would take is a couple of nut cases, deciding that they had a "cause" to react violently and next thing you know - its goodby - New York, Washington and LA!!
And, God forbid, what if the terrorists would have used 500 aircraft instead of only 4 that they hijacked? There was 5000 in the air at one time anyway- they had their pick!!
China is on the move now to become a superpower, Russia is still sitting back in the shadows patiently waiting. What happens when they crack their own atom & discover a new weapon that might put the USA on its knees??
So, if the enemy comes from within - who will defend us?? At least if everyone had a little bit of military training it might make the difference on our survival - who protects those that can't protect themselves?
Remember Russia - they thought they were too big to be knocked down to size too - that came from within also.
Who knows what the future may bring - won't be the first time that the USA was caught "sleeping on its coattails"!! One thing that I can remember from Jungle Training and some of you heard the same thing - "Always expect the unexpected" cause sooner or later its gonna come crashing down! How hard it hits is dependant on how well the preparation!! I'll shut up now. SF

redneck13
04-27-06, 08:26 PM
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]:banana: :!: I have to agree with lovdog, he made some very good points. There are, good or bad, many militia type groups in our country. They could be if they had the right agenda, some don't, one's who train other's in the art of shooting, guirella tactics etc. But, most are not on the right agenda.
The reason in most cases that people old, young, in between haven't ever used a firearm? One would be like Hillary and Bill, taking away the rights of the American people to own guns. Like for instance. In the City Limit's of Chicago, you cannot have a gun of any kind in your home, car, boat, wherever. They have arrested many who have lost valuable gun collections.
Other's, well they think that we can beat off an invasion with plow sheer's, pitch forks, hoe's, etc. Simply, they are against all guns.
Then you have the wonderful FBI/ATF who got the VA to submit names of people who met "THEIR" criteria, like 28K or more, these Vet's can't own a gun. Who more qualified, except the poor Vet's who are very mentally disturbed, (they couldn't have a gun, they're in mental institutions), is better equipped to handle a "Homeland" security force made up of Veteran's? Just one word in their file eliminates them.
I'm not proposing that a "MOB" of gun slinging Veteran's become a "homeland security force." I'm just saying if it ever came down to where we needed people to join to stop any Military, conventional type, invasion, sure would be nice to have Veteran's, capable Veteran's especially Marines, standing firm and teaching the un-educated folks about how to use one, and some military tactics. In all reality, if the Military would need assistance besides the Nat'l Guard, or Reserves, you can bet that the Majority of "Good Citizen's" would come forth sort of like during WWII where there were "FireWatch" men and women. So, that's just a bit more of my insight...Carry on Maggot's.
/COLOR]

Hocker
04-27-06, 09:36 PM
[color="SeaGreen"]:banana: :!: I have to agree with lovdog, he made some very good points. There are, good or bad, many militia type groups in our country. They could be if they had the right agenda, some don't, one's who train other's in the art of shooting, guirella tactics etc. But, most are not on the right agenda.
The reason in most cases that people old, young, in between haven't ever used a firearm? One would be like Hillary and Bill, taking away the rights of the American people to own guns. Like for instance. In the City Limit's of Chicago, you cannot have a gun of any kind in your home, car, boat, wherever. They have arrested many who have lost valuable gun collections.
Other's, well they think that we can beat off an invasion with plow sheer's, pitch forks, hoe's, etc. Simply, they are against all guns.
Then you have the wonderful FBI/ATF who got the VA to submit names of people who met "THEIR" criteria, like 28K or more, these Vet's can't own a gun. Who more qualified, except the poor Vet's who are very mentally disturbed, (they couldn't have a gun, they're in mental institutions), is better equipped to handle a "Homeland" security force made up of Veteran's? Just one word in their file eliminates them.
I'm not proposing that a "MOB" of gun slinging Veteran's become a "homeland security force." I'm just saying if it ever came down to where we needed people to join to stop any Military, conventional type, invasion, sure would be nice to have Veteran's, capable Veteran's especially Marines, standing firm and teaching the un-educated folks about how to use one, and some military tactics. In all reality, if the Military would need assistance besides the Nat'l Guard, or Reserves, you can bet that the Majority of "Good Citizen's" would come forth sort of like during WWII where there were "FireWatch" men and women. So, that's just a bit more of my insight...Carry on Maggot's.
/COLOR]

Maggots good to eat healthy treat,
I do believe militia is the word uhmmm,
If every Marine taught his children what he knows, would that passed down knowledge constitute a viable civilian armed competent militia ?
This is what our for fathers did, passed down their knowledge to their children and it was that militia that in the beginning of the Revolutionary war which fought for our freedom.
I teach my boys all that I know so that in a catastrophic event they will be prepared to deal with the threat domestic or abroad.
yes I have a quater deck in my kitchen:flag:

USMCgrunt0331
04-28-06, 06:33 AM
The reinstatement of a draft again would probably kind of be like the 3 justifications of deadly force, only used when all lesser means have failed, as a last resort, or under conditions of extreme necessity. So Wind'nface, if our country was under these conditions are you still saying that there should be no draft? Even if it came down to either drafting or our country being taken over, or being defeated in a war? I'm not saying we should be like Israel and force military service on everyone if they aren't needed, but if more people are needed, you have to do what's necessary, and one day that might again mean the draft.

yellowwing
04-28-06, 06:58 AM
I met a German citizen that was a conscientious objector. So the German government let him serve out his conscription as a cook in a state orphanage. Which is kinda' funny, we nicknamed our barracks The Orphanage! :banana:

If I was "King", I would not make conscription an automatic military tour. There's plenty of work to be done if we had a conscription for national service.

Most kids take the ASVAB even if they hadn't even thought about enlisting. That's a good start to get a picture on the assets available and where they can be put to good use right here at home.

thedrifter
04-28-06, 07:05 AM
Maggots good to eat healthy treat,
I do believe militia is the word uhmmm,
If every Marine taught his children what he knows, would that passed down knowledge constitute a viable civilian armed competent militia ?
This is what our for fathers did, passed down their knowledge to their children and it was that militia that in the beginning of the Revolutionary war which fought for our freedom.
I teach my boys all that I know so that in a catastrophic event they will be prepared to deal with the threat domestic or abroad.
yes I have a quater deck in my kitchen:flag:

My late husband taught my 4 children what he learned..
Yes he taught me a few things too..

Even though my children are all young adults, my new husband(fontman) has taken over to insure they all know what to do..

I can use what I learned to my advantage..;) :D

Ellie

redneck13
04-28-06, 09:34 AM
:!: :cry: USMCgrunt? Heavens NO I would not even think of not having a "DRAFT" if there were "ALL OUT WAR" on America. I also don't think that if an "ALL AT WAR" against America came to be that there would be many who wouldn't volunteer....I just don't agree with any "DRAFT" in this current day situation.
I truly think that if our border's were breached by some "IDIOT'S" not withstanding the radical "IDIOT'S" in the name of "ALA", but those who would attempt some other means of "invasion", there'd be standing room only to defend our Nation, "ME" in the front!!!
Yellowing brought up some good points also.
"The DRAFT" just has this tone of "YOU WILL", when it isn't neccessary at this time.
Of course if a decision is made to "DECLARE WAR", by Congress, against a highly potential enemy, then if it's neccessary, which it would be, the Draft should be re-instated. Not though, until a full "Declaration of War" is voted on by Congress and approved. The Congress I believe gave it's "OKAY", but didn't declare it a "full War" in The action taken by our Gov't when Iraq invaded Kuwait. Even at that time, there wasn't any mention of a "DRAFT" as our Military had the manpower.
I understand your point, and I wouldn't be against it.
There has been too many "Conflict's" that weren't declared a "War" that the US has been involved in, as the power's to be didn't seem to understand what "War" really was, as most don't now, with Iraq.
It's been labeled, "War on Terror!!" As long as the Military can maintain it's number's, the "Draft" should not be invoked.
Now carry on Maggot's. SF to all

redneck13
04-28-06, 09:39 AM
:evilgrin: Never had the pleasue of eating "maggot's" This term is used, was used solely for and by Drill Instructor's of my time, which I also incorporated in my terminology while being a Drill Instructor, and has no meaning, as to the subject. SF

redneck13
04-28-06, 09:47 AM
:flag: :banana: I think it's a great idea to teach our children how to "respect, honor, our Country in whatever means or ways each parent deems appropriate. I tell my Grandson's....."Someday, when you're old enough, I will tell you about what it's all about." Right now they are too young to understand, and I don't want to scare them.
But I agree Ellie what you posted, and I think it's a great idea.
I taught my Children how to respect, honor, our Great Nation, but, they also seen the horrible after effect's in their Father, what "War" can do to a person.
Even with some saying there is a "generation" NOW, who don't appreciate or do like a lot of us Marine's have done, learned, respect our Country, I still think that's some of the 10%'r's, and not the majority. Good post Ellie, SF

Hocker
04-28-06, 03:43 PM
:evilgrin: Never had the pleasue of eating "maggot's" This term is used, was used solely for and by Drill Instructor's of my time, which I also incorporated in my terminology while being a Drill Instructor, and has no meaning, as to the subject. SF
My DI called us maggots also , I was refering to the silk worm larvea we ate in korea looks just like a maggot ,raw, stewed or roasted pretty tasty, now if you are implying the human maggot , nope never ate one of those but I did eat a live lizard in Nic for 20 bucks very crunchy among otherthings.
:flag: Sempir Fi

redneck13
04-28-06, 08:17 PM
:!: I don't know why I am even replying to this, maybe it's because it just needs to be said again. "STICK WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER", not an exit statement, K? with all respect, I would appreciate it. SF

Hocker
04-28-06, 09:59 PM
:!: I don't know why I am even replying to this, maybe it's because it just needs to be said again. "STICK WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER", not an exit statement, K? with all respect, I would appreciate it. SF
you made the quote I didnt.

Roulette
04-29-06, 03:24 AM
Someone say socialized medicine and mandantory service time please before anyone even breathes D.R.A.F.T.

redneck13
04-29-06, 07:34 AM
:evilgrin: :banana: :flag: There's always those 10%'r's, who just don't get it, or the meaning of what an "Exit" phrase like SF in closing. I won't reply again...carry on Maggot.

Hocker
04-29-06, 10:44 AM
There's always those 10%'r's, who just don't get it, or the meaning of what an "Exit" phrase like SF in closing. I won't reply again...carry on Maggot.

Ahhh I get it , dang im pretty dense sometimes, I wasnt implying you missed used the exit phrase "maggot" I should have used a period and extra space when I was reffering to miltia . I was not saying you should have used the word militia instead of maggot , my bad. :flag:

redneck13
04-30-06, 11:19 AM
:beer: :banana: :flag: Hocker? Everything is cool. I have attempting to get people who post to just stick with the subject matter, as we have sometimes folks get way off track, and the "original subject" gets lost....I appreciate your efforts....Thanks Win.....SF., Now carry on Maggot's!!!

Hocker
04-30-06, 09:27 PM
:beer: :banana: :flag: Hocker? Everything is cool. I have attempting to get people who post to just stick with the subject matter, as we have sometimes folks get way off track, and the "original subject" gets lost....I appreciate your efforts....Thanks Win.....SF., Now carry on Maggot's!!!
Thanks Sempir Fi Bro.