PDA

View Full Version : LCpl Seeley gets surgery!!!

Seeley
04-19-06, 04:31 PM
I just met with my new doctor (the doctors at Madigan were dicking me around). He has me lined up with a surgery THIS FRIDAY!!! It will be to replace my ulnar nerve in my left forarm. No news yet if they will have to replace the nerve with a transplant from my right calf (the left one is no good because of shrapnel) or if the nerve should be able to grow through an implanted tube, much like a sraw, at the rate of 1mm a day. I will update you all on the situation as it happens.

Semper Fi!

GySgtRet
04-19-06, 05:08 PM
dang it Shawn. Yes please keep us posted on your surgeries. Do you know what prompted this sudden interest in your surgery? Do you happen to have Doc Leo's address at San Antonio so his Navy blanket can be mailed to him?

Semper Fi

:thumbup:

quillhill
04-19-06, 05:14 PM
Shawn, how long will you be out of action after this surgery? Do you still have my phone number? If you get a chance call me or e-mail me tomorrow. I'll be in the office at 9 a.m.

What surgery comes after this one? Is it the rotator cuff?

garryh123
04-19-06, 07:38 PM
Prayers out Brother!

Seeley
04-19-06, 07:52 PM
The next surgery is the rotator cuff. It will be 2 weeks to a month after my ulnar nerve surgery. I will be out for a few days with this one, and will be in a splint for two weeks. The shoulder will take about 5 months to recover from according to my therapists. Amanda's investigating and calling around got this to speed up. The army doctors were just being stupid, saying that they didn't know how to deal with Marines. We tried telling them that I'm human and have the same body parts as anyone else and to just do the surgery, but apparently, Marines aren't human or something lol

jryanjack
04-19-06, 08:07 PM
Good luck Shawn!

The Army docs are right, Marines heal faster and have a lot of "parts" that doggies do not have!

Semper Fi Marine!

Phantom Blooper
04-19-06, 08:24 PM
Good luck Shawn! Hope all goes well for you! Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

have a lot of "parts" that doggies do not have!

#1.) Guts
#2.) Heart
#3.) Brain Housing Group
#4.) Nerves (NO PUN INTENDED)
#5.) BACKBONE

quillhill
04-19-06, 10:05 PM
Aaah. I've sent you an e-mail Shawn. I didn't want to go all reporter on the message board and detract from the fact you're finally moving forward with your surgery.
See, only a Marine would look forward to surgery.

Arlene Horton
04-19-06, 10:33 PM
Thank you for the update, Shawn. My prayers are with you. Hopefully the nerve surgery will be totally successful and as far as that rotator cuff surgery goes, after what you've been through, it should be a "piece of cake". I can say that from experience. I had rotator cuff surgery done a few years ago and my rehab was only four weeks, 3 days a week. If an old lady like me can get through that, a truly strong MARINE will do better. Love to you and your lady..Semper Fi

BigCat1
04-20-06, 07:21 AM
Hey Shawn....Good luck on your next surgery. I hope that everything works out well for you. I've been through rotator cuff surgery myself, and your Dr. was right...takes 5 - 6 months to rehab from that. Just make sure you take it easy right after the surgery. Do not do ANYTHING unless your therapist tells you it's ok. It's really easy to FUBAR that surgery if you try to do too much too fast....Take care bro and please keep us updated....You're in my thoughts and prayers!

ringoffire
04-20-06, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the update. Good luck and our prayers go out to you and Amanda.

Osotogary
04-20-06, 07:35 AM
Best of luck to you, Shawn. Certainly, I echo the above sentiments. Take care of yourself. Thanks for the update.

Seeley
04-20-06, 03:04 PM
Dang...I can't eat or drink anything after midnite tonight for tomorrow's afternoon surgery..."yay"...lol

quillhill
04-20-06, 05:01 PM
Trust me, you'll thank the medical staff later when you don't puke all over yourself coming out of the anesthesia in recovery.

I had an emergency appendectomy three years ago. Had horrible abdominal pain in the middle of the night and was in surgery four hours later. That useless little organ had to come out. The first thing I remember doing when I woke up after the surgery was vomiting, which even in a doped-up, post-operation haze, was an incredibly unpleasant experience.

GySgtRet
04-20-06, 05:33 PM
relax and enjoy while you can. Listen to the nurses (cause your grandma said so). Please let us know how you are doing. I won't be around much this weekend I am going to Pa for my nephew's wedding but I will try every once in a while to look in.

Good luck Marine...!!!

Seeley
04-21-06, 11:01 AM
Well, I'm off to the hospital! Prayer's and good wishes are always accepted!

garryh123
04-21-06, 11:16 AM
Prayers out Brother!

rb1651
04-21-06, 01:46 PM
Prayers are once again on the way, Marine. Take it easy, and get well.

Arlene Horton
04-21-06, 09:52 PM
:usmc: Dear Shawn: You know, no problem here with praying for your successful surgery. God Bless you and Amanda. SF

Amanda
04-21-06, 09:53 PM
THIS IS MANDY WRITTING FOR SHAWN!!!

hey all thanks for the prayers! I am out of surgery, the doctor said it went as well as possible. It will be 2 weeks in a splint and 2 months before it heals and i can get my rotator cuff done. Madigan didn't want to fill my prescriptions at first, I went there before i went home after surgery. They didn't want to fill them because of the oxycotin and codone. Had to cause quite a fuss to get them to FINALLY fill them. anyways I'm pretty tired and pretty sore, but i will post some pics later.

jinelson
04-22-06, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the update Mandy and Shawn its music to my ears. May God continue to bless and watch over both of you.

ringoffire
04-22-06, 07:52 AM
So glad to hear you are doing well...our prayers will continue for you both.
Keep the updates coming, when you can.

Arlene Horton
04-22-06, 09:50 PM
:flag: Keep up those spirits, Shawn. :mad: I often wonder if those "people" who write & fill prescriptions for Oxycontin & Oxycodone are more concerned that you would become "addicted" than to provide pain relief when it is necessary. Wonder how fast they would be asking for pain relief if they had to undergo what you have already done. Oh well, just know that we are all praying for you and Amanda. Stay strong, Marine. Semper Fi Arlene

Tobes03
04-22-06, 10:39 PM
Semper Fidelis buddy! stay strong.

GySgtRet
04-23-06, 09:24 AM
I am glad to know that your surgery has gone better than expected. It is too bad about the pharmacist though, I think they think they are doing thier job? Anywa, I hope you a speedy recoverery of course you have been tremendously patient through all of this. Good luck.

Semper Fi
GySgtRet

Seeley
04-23-06, 12:49 PM
Well, I guess I'm doing okay, because I've been chasing Mandy around lol.

GySgtRet
04-23-06, 05:13 PM
If your feeling that well. Are going to be running a PFT soon? LOL Glad to see you up and about so soon. You are tough.

Semper Fi

Osotogary
04-24-06, 10:55 AM
LCpl Seeley (Shawn),
When you finally catch Amanda, if you ever do,:) tell her how much I appreciate her being with and supporting you. Both of you have been splendid about keeping everyone updated and informed. Your outlook, humor and spunk up until now has been truly inspirational. Keep up the good work.

BOOGIEMAN44
04-24-06, 11:24 AM
Well How Are You Doing Shawn? Did The Op. Go Well, Let Us Know, Prayers Out Brother !!!