PDA

View Full Version : Tough uniform question

AvalonLanding
04-18-06, 11:53 PM
I ran this question by several of my Staff NCO's and none of them came close to getting it. I asked the same question to a bunch of boots and they got it after about 5 minutes.

Q) What is the only MARINE RANK INSIGNIA that can be sewn onto the SERVICE UNIFORM that exists but has never been issued nor worn?

jinelson
04-19-06, 01:08 AM
Tough uniform question is right! Well I guess I'll fall in with the rest of the Staff NCO's on this one, but I cant wait to hear the answer.

crashman
04-19-06, 03:28 AM
is it Pvt.? :flag:

outlaw3179
04-19-06, 06:00 AM
Im with Crash ....Pvt.

jryanjack
04-19-06, 07:30 AM
PVT does not have a rank insignia associated with it. At one point in time wasn't there a Gunner insignia in the shape of a bursting bomb? Don't know that it has ever been worn?

GySgtRet
04-19-06, 07:36 AM
was a device. I don't remember if it could be sewn or not? I worked with a couple of "Gunners" and when they wore "sateens" they had a device on their collars. AvalonLanding, this is a good challenge, I hope that you have the correct answer. This had to have been a question that a Marine had on a promotion board or in a PME somewhere along the line.

AvalonLanding
04-19-06, 12:24 PM
All good guesses, yet still not close.

I think it will make it easier if I tell you that this is a modern rank, and if issued, it would be servicable for todays service uniform...

Camper51
04-19-06, 12:28 PM
Gotta be the five star one that is a valid rank but never been used

beaufort bob
04-19-06, 12:51 PM
Very tricky question, indeed. First of all, only the enlisted ranks are sewn onto the uniform in the Marine Corps. So this eliminates 5 star general. Of course, the army does both. You will notice how the Army EM now wear metal chevrons on their cammies copying the Marine Corps like they try to do everything else.
I'll take a wild guess that it's First Sgt. Never heard or saw the rank used in the Corps. Could be dead wrong, but this is my guess.

Taz97
04-19-06, 01:19 PM
Very tricky question, indeed. First of all, only the enlisted ranks are sewn onto the uniform in the Marine Corps. So this eliminates 5 star general. Of course, the army does both. You will notice how the Army EM now wear metal chevrons on their cammies copying the Marine Corps like they try to do everything else.
I'll take a wild guess that it's First Sgt. Never heard or saw the rank used in the Corps. Could be dead wrong, but this is my guess.

1st Sgt is used very often.

outlaw3179
04-19-06, 01:21 PM
Every line company has a first shirt.

jryanjack
04-19-06, 01:40 PM
I would agree with Camper, but I didn't know that the Corps was authorized for the Corps, I also doubt that it would be. The US hasn't had a 5-star rank since WWII - though McArthur stayed around for awhile.

Taz97
04-19-06, 01:52 PM
I would agree with Camper, but I didn't know that the Corps was authorized for the Corps, I also doubt that it would be. The US hasn't had a 5-star rank since WWII - though McArthur stayed around for awhile.

He said "sewn on service uniform". Officers insignia is not sewn on, Marine.

Taz97
04-19-06, 01:53 PM
So what is the answer Avalon?

jryanjack
04-19-06, 02:23 PM
He said "sewn on service uniform". Officers insignia is not sewn on, Marine.

With the mess dress for officers, isn't the rank also sewn onto the sleave of the jacket depending on rank?

And I second the call for an answer!

FistFu68
04-19-06, 02:27 PM
:usmc: EAGLE,GLOBE&ANCHOR ~SEWN ON NEW ERA,UTE'S? :usmc:

criggleman
04-19-06, 02:51 PM
Master Sgt

AvalonLanding
04-19-06, 03:30 PM
Good effort marines, but still not close, I think I'll go ahead at let you guys in on the answer...

Keep in mind...

it's SEWN on the SERVICE uniform, so it must be ENLISTED, right?

it's never been issued, but exists...which leads you to beleive it's never been issued only because no one has ever rated the rank.

Then you start to think of all ranks from E-2 through E-9, every one has been issued and worn, right?

Wrong,...for each Rank insignia there is a female counterpart, which is only 75% (formally 50%) the size of its male counterpart.

Since there has never been a FEMALE SERGEANT MAJOR OF THE MARINE CORPS, no one has ever rated it or sewn that rank insignia on, yet it does theoretically exist, and if Hillary's ever elected...we'll probably have one!

Taz97
04-19-06, 03:36 PM
Good effort marines, but still not close, I think I'll go ahead at let you guys in on the answer...

Keep in mind...

it's never been issued, but exists...which leads you to beleive it's never been issued only because no one has ever rated the rank.

Then you start to think of all ranks from E-2 through E-9, every one has been issued and worn, right?

Wrong,...for each Rank insignia there is a female counterpart, which is only 75% (formally 50%) the size of its male counterpart.

Since there has never been a FEMALE SERGEANT MAJOR OF THE MARINE CORPS, no one has ever rated it or sewn that rank insignia on, yet it does theoretically exist, and if Hillary's ever elected...we'll probably have one!

Well, you had me for sure. Good job, Marine.

Osotogary
04-19-06, 03:42 PM
"Since there has never been a FEMALE SERGEANT MAJOR OF THE MARINE CORPS, no one has ever rated it or sewn that rank insignia on, yet it does theoretically exist, and if Hillary's ever elected...we'll probably have one!"

What could be worse? Maybe the Mayor of New Orleans wearing a General's paraphernalia.

Good post, AvalonLanding.

yellowwing
04-19-06, 03:53 PM
Good one! :thumbup:

outlaw3179
04-19-06, 03:54 PM
Thanks Avalon , good question. My brain hurts.

Camper51
04-19-06, 03:58 PM
Ya got this ol Marine on that one!!!!!!!!!:yes:

Semper Fi
:flag:

beaufort bob
04-19-06, 04:16 PM
I think that might be Navy "mess whites" What screwed me up on my 1st.. Sgt. answer I kept envisioning the Army version of three and three with nothing in the middle. Shame on me.
I'll take one last crack at it. I'll go for W-5. Let's have an answer by this evening if you please

jinelson
04-19-06, 04:22 PM
You got me too brother, but it got me to dig through the Guide Book For Marines and everything I could find on the internet. Oh well glad I wasent the only SNCO.

Nice Shot Avalon!

criggleman
04-19-06, 04:24 PM
Thanks for frying the last of my good brain cells. Keep it up I'm trying to stay ahead of...... damn I forgot what I was going to say. :marine:

beaufort bob
04-19-06, 04:31 PM
Good brain-teaser. The insignia would be the same as for the female counterpart....just much smaller.
'night all!

crashman
04-19-06, 04:35 PM
hope we dont need Hillary to get FEMALE SERGEANT MAJOR, Im sure our Marines are good enough without her help.

usmcdanno
04-22-06, 07:48 PM
If Staff NCOs don't know the answer to this question (myself included) I would challenge the validity of such a question. If there's anything to it, I would think it's a probably a fable. Anyway, Marine Gunners wear their Warrant Officer bar on the starboard collar and a bursting bomb on the port. Infantry rating which was brought back in the Marine Corps somewhere around late 80s early 90s. Again, only for 03XX MOS.

usmcdanno
04-22-06, 07:54 PM
Also, the W5 rank was established somewhere in late 80s early 90s. They have a very distinct insignia. It looks like a 1stLt bar with a red stripe down the middle. I sincerely doubt that a WM SgtMaj of the Marine Corps chevron was ever manufactured as we all know that that ain't never gonna happen!

BlackBelt
04-22-06, 08:29 PM
boots got that?

outlaw3179
04-22-06, 08:40 PM
Most Marines didnt get the question....I wouldnt bust his chops just cuz you didnt either. It was a good question.....

usmcdanno
04-22-06, 08:53 PM
Yeah its a good question. Kinda like the one that asks; if a tree falls in the middle of the woods and there's noone around to hear it......does it still make a sound. Chicken and the egg, etc. That's a question that Hillary would ask. I can't understand how people can demean the Marine Corps with crap like this. By the way, you've got duty this weekend!

:usmc:

AvalonLanding
04-22-06, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna repost the answer since it seems like some marines didn't see it posted before.

Keep in mind...

AvalonLanding
04-22-06, 09:26 PM
LCpl,
You mentioned that "boots" answered your question if five minutes. I really hope thats not the kind of crap they're teaching in my beloved Corps these days. Sorry, but that sounds like some kind of garbage that a WM would ask. If I was sitting on a meritorious promotion board and another member asked that question I would reach over and jap slap them.

:flag:

No Gunny, this isn't something taught in boot camp; at least not when I went through. However, it is taught that Female rank is 75% (formally 50%) the size of Male rank, and that coupled with the fact there is only 1 SGM of the USMC (which is another fact fresh in the mind of new marines) boots can usually put 2 and 2 together pretty fast.

And sad to say Gunny I first heard this question because it WAS used on a meritorious board, wether it was a WM that asked it or not I have no idea.

outlaw3179
04-22-06, 09:55 PM
Aye Aye Gunnery Sgt! lol

usmcdanno
04-22-06, 09:58 PM
Lance Corporal, <br />
<br />
I didn't mean to come down on you personally. I'm sure you're a fine Marine. I've presided over many meritorious promotion boards and I screened questions like this and did not...

Lorix
04-22-06, 09:58 PM
I like it! Good question.

usmcdanno
04-22-06, 10:29 PM
Not, good questions are such as these:

What's Chesty Puller's date of birth?

How many medals of honor were awarded between Chesty and Dan Dailey?

What was Chesty's full name?

What is the epitome of a Marine? Answer: Chesty Puller and Dan Dailey!

What is found in the truck of the National Ensign flown on a Marine Corps installation?

What was the bloodiest battle of this nation?

Bonus Prize question: If you were accused of being a Marine, would there be enough evidence to convict you!

Lorix
04-22-06, 10:38 PM
Off the top of my head, I would say:
June 26 (or 28), 1898
1, Chesty never received a MOH, but did earn 5 Navy Crosses
Lewis B Puller, what the B stands for, I know but can't think of it right now
already been answered
? found in the truck? not sure the question, but I would say a standard flag
Civil War
? being a Marine or beating a Marine? Yes, documentation and interview with the DI's that trained you; confirmation

usmcdanno
04-22-06, 11:08 PM
Chesty was born on the 26th of June 1898.

Dan Dailey won two (get it) two medals of honor.

If you have questions about the national ensign and the "truck", what it contains, and what is at the base of the national ensign flown at all Marine Corps installations, you would be well advised to consult any SNCO or your SgtMaj.

By the way, I've spoken to your SgtMaj this evening and you are to report to him at 0600 this am. Your insubordination and lack of general legitimate Marine Corps knowledge is unsat.

Alway remember young lady you never know who you're conversing with on the internet. You need to lock your body and properly address me and respect who I am. You're gonna have a real bad day tomorrow.

AvalonLanding
04-22-06, 11:25 PM
Oorah Gunny, Will Do. Thanks for the Advice.

Lorix
04-23-06, 12:03 AM
GOOD EVENING GUNNERY SERGEANT!!!

(modified parade rest) I have no excuse Gunnery Sergeant, I should have been more aware of the history of the Marine Corps and the Marines themselves. I apologize for not being the top dog on these questions, my lack of information is inexcuseable. I shall refresh myself of the questions you lay before me and be prepared for future inquiry into my intellectual knowledge of the history of our Corps. Till it be next time, I will dismiss myself of your presence.

"Dismissed Aye Gunnery Sergeant!" (left foot back, then right foot, proper arm swing; attention), "Good Evening to you Gunnery Sergeant!" (right foot behind left, about face, run)

AvalonLanding
04-23-06, 12:22 AM
wow that's a little too moto for me there hard charger

FistFu68
04-23-06, 11:46 AM
LEWIS B PULLER~THE TRUCK~(MATCHES,45ACP.BULLET,RAZOR BLADE) as FOR THE 5 NAVY CROSSE'S ~HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE 2 TRADE A COUPLE OF THOSE BAD PUPPIES IN~4 A(MOH)!!!

outlaw3179
04-23-06, 03:24 PM
Iside every truck (sp ) there is included a razor, a .45 and a match. The reasons behind this is in the event that your base is ever over run you should somehow shimmy your way up the flagpole, remove all the objects in the truck, cut the rope and remove the flag , cut the flag up and burn it . Then with the .45 blow your friggin brains out. As to the validity of all this...I dont know. but this question was asked of me on a board and I did get it correct.

Antietam was the bloodiest battle ever fought on this countries soil.

Wyoming
04-23-06, 04:25 PM
Iside every truck (sp ) there is included a razor, a .45 and a match. The reasons behind this is in the event that your base is ever over run you should somehow shimmy your way up the flagpole, remove all the objects in the truck, cut the rope and remove the flag , cut the flag up and burn it . Then with the .45 blow your friggin brains out. As to the validity of all this...I dont know. but this question was asked of me on a board and I did get it correct.

Antietam was the bloodiest battle ever fought on this countries soil.

Er, um, ah -- http://www.snopes.com/military/flagball.htm

Lorix
04-23-06, 05:06 PM
Wow, I have never even heard of the truck before and what it carried. Now I know, well, sort of, there seems to be disagreement of what is actually there. Good to know.

Ed Palmer
04-23-06, 05:18 PM
Claim: The gold ball atop a military flagpole contains a razor, a match, and a bullet.

Wyoming
04-23-06, 05:27 PM
Day Yam It - Excellent uniform question.:thumbup:

Methinks folks missed reading the replies at times, but, whatever.

I'll not live long enough, but can we see Lorix as the 1st WM Sgt Major of Marines?:D

Oh my gawd, heaven help us!!!:banana:

Lorix
04-23-06, 06:27 PM
Anything could happen. :marine:

outlaw3179
04-23-06, 06:51 PM
Well I guess I was wrong....I guess ill go blow my brains out now.

FistFu68
04-23-06, 07:05 PM
Im Glad I Was Corrected~before **** Really Hit's The Fan,i Alway's Thought The Suicide Part Alway's Was Chicken ****! But With Blow Torch Frying My Ball's By Enemy,could Make Me Think I,made Wrong Call! 10/4 (long Live Force)!!!

rproctor922
04-24-06, 06:39 AM
I kept envisioning the Army version of three and three with nothing in the middle. In the army that would be a Master Sgt, a First Sgt has a diamond in the middle

bugs
04-24-06, 06:42 AM
[QUOTE=usmcdanno]Not, good questions are such as these:

What is found in the truck of the National Ensign flown on a Marine Corps installation?

Gunny Dan,
What is the answer - your answer?
Or is the following quote your way of letting us know that you yourself do not know the exact answer?
"If you have questions about the national ensign and the "truck", what it contains, and what is at the base of the national ensign flown at all Marine Corps installations, you would be well advised to consult any SNCO or your SgtMaj."

AIR? Is that the correct answer?

ese4mc
04-24-06, 07:28 AM
I believe it is Burwell:flag:

BOOGIEMAN44
04-24-06, 09:25 AM
Bonus Prize question: If you were accused of being a Marine, would there be enough evidence to convict you!

MY E-WIFE AND THOSE WHO KNOW ME WOULD CONVICT ME IN A HEARTBEAT
I WOULDN'T HAVE A PRAYER, BUT I'M SOOO PROUD TO CARRY THE TITLE OF A UNITED STATES MARINE...I WOULD NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY :marine: :flag:

beaufort bob
04-24-06, 10:11 AM
To: ese4mc
You are correct. Chesty's middle name was Burwell.
Going a step further, Lewis B. Puller was born 26jun1898 in West Point, Va. :thumbup: He attended VMI (Virginia Military Institute) and enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1917/18 at the age of 20. His serial number was 135517. The rest is long, and exciting history.
If you want a good "read", pick up a copy of The Story of Lt. Gen.Lewis B. Puller, USMC by Jon T. Hoffman. It's a Random House paperback and is inexpensive. You can get it at Barnes & Noble, Borders, or through Amazon.

csilva
04-24-06, 12:36 PM
i wonder if u ask a female 1st sgt this question, do u think she can answer it correctly? i know i couldnt