PDA

View Full Version : A Job Like No Other

thedrifter
04-17-06, 10:24 AM
A Job Like No Other
By Matthew Dodd

I feel honored they recognized me for that,...But to be honest, I was just doing my job."

Those words were spoken by Sgt (now SSgt) Anthony L. Viggiani, USMC, immediately following an appropriate ceremony in which he was officially recognized for his actions. If his job description specifically included, "display extraordinary heroism in rugged, mountainous terrain," "single-handedly destroy many enemy combatants imperiling the lives of at least six subordinates," and "refuse medical attention despite obvious loss of blood in order to lead the accomplishment of your company's mission," then I would say he deserved no official recognition for merely doing his job.

However, his unabashed modesty adds to the respect he has forever earned as our eleventh global war on terrorism hero-recipient of the Navy Cross, the Nation's second-highest medal for valor. According to his citation, he earned the Navy Cross:

"For extraordinary heroism in action against Anti-Coalition Militia in Zabol Province, Afghanistan serving as a Squad Leader, Company C, Battalion Landing Team 1/6, 22d Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) deployed with Commander, United States FIFTH Fleet during Operation ENDURING FREEDOM on 3 June 2004."

I would argue that the toughest job in all the Marine Corps is that of an infantry squad leader in combat. The mission of a Marine rifle squad is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy's assault by fire and close-combat. The squad leader is responsible for the lives and performance of three four-man fire-teams. These Marines are the proverbial "pointy end of the spear" that routinely gets up close and personal with the enemy. Strip away all the politics, peel back all the strategic plans, get beneath campaign and operational planning, and what you have left, in its purest form, is foreign policy balanced on the shoulders of a squad leader in his early-twenties who is leading twelve other warriors even younger than him.

Fortunately, we have fantastic squad leaders like Anthony Viggiani who do what needs to be done, and whose personal examples teach and inspire others to follow in their footsteps. The citation continues:

"While leading a company assault against an enemy held ridgeline north of the village of Khabargho, Sergeant Viggiani and his squad came under heavy and accurate fire from an enemy force well entrenched inside a cave, pinning down one of his teams and wounding two Marines."

From the few accounts I have read about this assault, Sgt Viggiani's squad was in pursuit of about 20 insurgents fleeing up into a rocky valley after being spotted by two Army AH-64 Apache helicopters. There is nothing easy about fighting in mountainous terrain, especially for Marines home-based at Camp Lejeune on the North Carolina coast. Add in the facts that the insurgents were probably locals (or possibly foreign fighters still more 'local' than the Marines) – who knew the terrain probably much better than the Marines - and that the insurgents held the high ground – it is always easier to see and shoot downhill – and you have a very dangerous situation for a young squad leading its company's assault.

All of a sudden, the ridgeline in the vicinity of Sgt Viggiani's squad began pouring heavy and accurate fire on them. Going from an orderly and disciplined pursuit of fleeing insurgents to a chaotic and intense fire-fight with two wounded Marines and an imperiled fire-team (roughly half your unit's strength) within seconds is something operational planners, high-level strategists, and rhetoric-filled politicians will never experience.

Describing decisive, "pointy end of the spear" leadership, Sgt Viggiani's citation continues:

"Moving across exposed ground, under observation and fire from adjacent enemy position, Sergeant Viggiani maneuvered to the cave opening, pouring direct rifle fire into the opening, but achieving no effect on the enemy. Braving enemy fire from the adjacent position, he went back to retrieve a fragmentation grenade. Again under a hail of fire, he moved to within feet of the cave opening and employed the grenade to eliminate the enemy position which was actively firing upon friendly forces. Killing three enemy fighters, Sergeant Viggiani destroyed the enemy strongpoint and allowed his company to continue their advance up the ridgeline, solidly defeating the enemy by killing a total of 14 Anti-Coalition fighters. In the process, he was wounded by rifle fire from the adjacent enemy position, yet he continued to lead his Marines in the attack."

The enemy seemed to have mutually-supporting positions on the ridgeline opposing Sgt Viggiani's squad, so that as one position was threatened, the other position could protect it. Sgt Viggiani's actions while facing these mutually-supporting positions speak volumes about his character, leadership, and combat training.

What instantly jumps out at me from that citation excerpt is selflessness in the face of mortal danger. Rationally, that concept is an oxymoron. Instead of thinking about his own safety, Sgt Viggiani's thoughts and subsequent actions were entirely focused on his Marines. According to one article,

"I just knew I had to keep a promise I made to my boys," Viggiani said affectionately, referring to his squad members as his boys. "I had promised to bring them all back home.""

Even in the heat of combat, this man's promise made was a promise kept. Honorable is the word I would use to describe Sgt Viggiani's character.

Leaders are often forced to deal with situations not of their choosing, especially when those situations arise from a clash of wills. In any conflict, the ability of the leader to quickly adapt to changing circumstances often determines success or failure. Those leaders who adapt quickly create their own opportunities to seize the initiative and increase their chances for success. Their conscious choices make them champions of their environment. Those leaders who adapt slowly, or not at all, are driven by obstacles into inertia that virtually guarantees their eventual failure. Their fears of the unknown make them victims of their environment. Courageous is the word I would use to describe Sgt Viggiani's leadership.

Sgt Viggiani knew what needed to be done, and he used what he had readily available to him – knowledge, weapons, terrain, and experience. While those four tools are incredibly powerful, they mean very little on the battlefield if they are not properly synergized through realistic combat training. Performing on the battlefield just does not happen by itself, and it is not a given or something to be taken for granted. The fact that his squad not only survived this encounter, but they continued to lead a successful mission, tells me that they were well-trained. The word that comes to mind when thinking about the combat training of Sgt Viggiani's squad is committed.

The excerpt's last sentence deserves a little more detail. Below is how a 22d MEU(SOC) press release described Viggiani's perspectives on his wound:

"Mere minutes after the fight, with typical Marine élan, Viggiani dismissed the wound that stained the front of his trouser leg a deep crimson.

"It stings a bit, but it's nothing," he said as he paused for a photograph in front of the cave he helped clear mere minutes after the fight.

Despite recommendations from his fellow Marines, Viggiani refused to leave his platoon and seek aid at the battalion landing team's mobile command post. With a small dressing and a few aspirin, Viggiani shouldered his rifle and trudged further into the rugged mountains in pursuit of Taliban and militia fighters."

The citation concludes:

"By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of enemy fire, and utmost dedication to duty, Sergeant Viggiani reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

SSgt Viggiani is now a drill instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC. His combat heroics in the mountains of Afghanistan show that the Marine Corps' core values of honor, courage, and commitment are alive and thriving at the pointy end of the spear in our global war on terrorism, and his personal influences on thousands of recruits will no doubt help ensure that spear stays sharp for years to come.

To SSgt Viggiani: BRAVO ZULU for a job well done!

Ellie

usmcdanno
04-20-06, 07:44 PM
Thank you God, so much for the Marine Corps!!!!!! I love it so dearly.......and he did as well.

Dan Canipe, GySgt USMC
Retired 1 May 2001