PDA

View Full Version : More Info About Doc Leoncio

captken
04-14-06, 12:44 PM
San Diego Union-Tribune
April 7, 2006
Corpsman ignored his own wounds to aid others
By Rick Rogers
In a war marred by prisoner-abuse scandals and rife with political wrangling, Nathaniel R. Leoncio's heroic actions in Iraq are the pure stuff of legend.
Leoncio, a 24-year-old corpsman, received the Bronze Star yesterday at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.
The Navy petty officer third class was on patrol with Marines in southern Ramadi on Oct. 4 when they were struck by a series of roadside bombs. The explosives killed one Marine and seriously injured three other men, including Leoncio.
At least two of the bombs detonated under the 6-ton Humvee that carried Leoncio, flipping it upside down and on top of him, severing his right leg just below the knee.
Although his right thighbone was shattered and he was bleeding internally, Leoncio refused to be evacuated. He ignored his wounds and cared for a severely injured Marine, likely saving the man's life.
Lt. Bradley Watson, who was riding with Leoncio and would later write the recommendation letter for the corpsman's medal from his hospital bed, said: "It was one of the most outstanding combat actions I saw, if not the most outstanding. I saw my two combat tours of Iraq. I have no hesitation in saying that.
"Doc Leoncio knew he was very seriously injured," Watson said. "He was spitting up blood, he had shrapnel in his stomach, and he had lost so much blood. He had every right to be worried about his own injures, but he wasn't.
Amid the chaos of the attack, Watson yelled for a corpsman.
"And (Leoncio) said, 'Why are you calling for a corpsman when you have one right here?' " Watson recalled. "It was funny and inspiring at the same time."
So he wouldn't bleed to death, Leoncio calmly told a Marine to tie a tourniquet on his injured leg. As he gave the instructions, Leoncio treated a platoon commander who was bleeding profusely from a fist-sized shrapnel wound in his hip.
Capt. Rory Quinn, who was riding in a Humvee behind Leoncio's, described what it took to get the corpsman to leave the scene.
"We had to lie to Doc and tell him that all the Marines had been taken off the battlefield before he would allow himself to be moved," said Quinn, who knew that a Marine was still trapped in a wrecked Humvee.
"He won't brag on himself," Quinn added, "so I have to do it for him."
Ten minutes elapsed before Leoncio believed that all the injured were receiving proper care. Then he allowed others to evacuate him. He was sent to Germany and then the United States for long-term care and rehabilitation.
Yesterday, Leoncio balanced on two crutches and a single leg as Lt. Gen. John Sattler, commander of the Camp Pendleton-based 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, pinned a Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device above the corpsman's heart.
Dozens of people attended the ceremony, including about 20 of Leoncio's relatives and friends, some of whom had flown in from his native land, the Philippines.
Leoncio seemed embarrassed by the attention.
The ceremony "was a little too big and unnecessary. I wish they just sent it to me in the mail," he joked.
"As everyone comes up to me and thanks me for my service, I want to thank all of you for your service," said Leoncio, whose face is dotted by gray scars that he calls "shrapnel tattoos."
"I don't remember what I did," he continued, "but I know that anyone in my unit would've helped me out like I helped them out."
The Oct. 4 attack occurred during Operation Bowie, in which about 1,200 U.S. and Iraqi troops searched the outskirts of Ramadi for insurgents and arms caches.
The Marines of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment - based at Twentynine Palms - were moving toward their designated patrol area when they were hit from the rear by an improvised explosive device. A few seconds later, at least two blasts hit the lead Humvee, which carried Leoncio, Watson and other Marines.
Last week, the Lima Company returned from Iraq. Leoncio, who was wearing a prosthetic leg, was there to welcome them home.
"He was standing on two legs and it was very good to see him," said Watson, executive officer for the 3rd Battalion.
Thirteen U.S. corpsmen have died in combat during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the Web site www.corpsmen.com (http://www.corpsmen.com).
In addition to serving in wars and other foreign conflicts, corpsmen have responded to natural disasters, military accidents and other peacetime emergencies. They belong to the Navy Hospital Corps.
Currently, the Corps' 23,000 regular and 6,000 reserve members are assigned to naval hospitals, clinics, surface ships and submarines worldwide.
Leoncio, who lives in Temecula, plans to pursue a career in the medical field after finishing his military service. He said he has undergone "a ton" of surgeries and has a few more to go.
Leoncio is a special find, said Command Master Chief Richard Moriarity, the top enlisted man at Camp Pendleton's Field Medical Service School, where corpsmen train to accompany Marines for war duty.
"There have only been maybe 50 Bronze Stars awarded to corpsmen during the Iraq war. This award is rare because it is a combat award and the criteria for such a high award is very strict," Moriarity said.
As Leoncio leaned on his crutches, a red carpet rolled out before him, 90 future corpsmen dressed in their summer whites filed by. All of them shook his hand, and many of them had a look of awe on their faces.

captken
04-14-06, 01:12 PM
I should have added for those of you who haven't been following LCpl Seeley's progress that Doc Leoncio was the Navy Corpsman who was with LCpl Seeley when they both were injured by multiple IEDs.

GySgtRet
04-14-06, 01:33 PM
you are One Good Devil Doc that I would want on my side.

Semper Fidelis

quillhill
04-14-06, 02:07 PM
When I wrote my story about LCpl Seeley (which I can e-mail to anyone in PDF form if they want a copy) for his hometown paper, I described what Seeley described to me about Doc Leoncio. And my editor tweaked a sentence that I freaking love that started the paragraph about Leoncio. "In the chaos, there was courage."

I know Seeley was at Twentynine Palms when his unit got back week before last. Seeley! Did you get to talk to Doc Leoncio at all?

Anyway, thanks for posting that CaptKen. It's awesome to see this corpsman properly recognized for his service and sacrifice.

captken
04-14-06, 02:16 PM
I agree. Nice to see the "good guys" win!

hrscowboy
04-14-06, 05:21 PM
ooooooooooooooorahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh outstanding

hrscowboy
04-14-06, 05:36 PM
Gentlemen I am still sitting here with a Navy Quilt for the doc that was made for him and donated to him from the members of Leatherneck.com and still cant find out where he is????

GySgtRet
04-14-06, 06:11 PM
Scuttlebutt told me he was back in San Diego with his parents and or girlfriend. Does anybody else have any good clues instead of scuttlebutt? When Doc Leo left the east coast I lost touch of him.

If LCpl Seeley would come on maybe he would know?

:!: :idea:

MillRatUSMC
04-14-06, 07:39 PM
What words could we add to what already been said about "Doc Leo".
We can just view our monitor and stand in awe, on such courage.
A reporter once asked;
"Where do we get men such as these"?
We only have to look at "Doc Leo" for an answer to that question.
Yes "Doc Leo" you're One Good Devil Doc...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

rb1651
04-14-06, 09:08 PM
Doc Leo, simply put, you are my Hero.

hrscowboy
04-14-06, 10:00 PM
well if we can find out he is in San Diego we can get someone to deliver it too him, lets go gentlemen we have a Mission to complete..

Arlene Horton
04-14-06, 10:15 PM
:flag: :angel:
Doc Leo, simply put, you are my Hero.This just confirms my firm beliefs...our Corpsmen are the greatest and Doc Leo proves it.

Seeley
04-18-06, 10:31 AM
Leoncio is in San Antonio at BAMC Brooke Army Medical Center

GySgtRet
04-18-06, 11:01 AM
Do you happen to have the address and so on for the blanket to go to him? HRSCOWBOY needs it to send Doc Leo his Navy blanket. By the way how is it going with you?

hrscowboy
04-18-06, 11:13 AM
Do we have any brothers that live in San antonio or near by that could deliver this quilt to this young man on behalf of Leatherneck.com ??? If so please reply...

jgorosco
04-18-06, 11:22 AM
I know this won't help but I live in Houston and will be going to San Antonio on May 16th. I don't think any time sooner than that.