PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of a Marine mom as her son says 'I'm coming home!'

thedrifter
04-13-06, 07:32 AM
Thoughts of a Marine mom as her son says 'I'm coming home!'
Katie Powers, R.N.
Baby Talk

We have two sons who are Marines.

One of them, Sean, will be returning from Iraq soon. Before he left, we did our best to educate ourselves on what to expect having a son in a combat zone. We surrounded ourselves with people that we knew would be supportive and understanding. Then he left.

The first time we heard on the news that a Marine humvee had been destroyed by an IED was like having that first really strong contraction in labor. You think you know how bad it will hurt but you really don't understand how much it hurts until you experience it.

When Sean was leaving for boot camp we asked him, "Why are you leaving a high-paying job with a computer company to join the Marines?" His answer: "They tried to kill my sister."

Our oldest daughter works in the Capitol in Washington, D.C. and was told to run for her life on 9/11.

When we were in the parking lot at Camp Lejeune at the gathering place for Sean's departure, I saw a young Marine go over to his bags and say to himself, not knowing that I was listening, "This Marine has trained, is prepared and is ready to do his job."

What an honor to witness the commitment and dedication of these Marines.

We have been amazed and grateful by the support of everyone in the Marine family. Col. Saputo and Col. Urban may be retired from the Marine Corps, but their hearts are with every Marine and Marine's family. The members of the VFW on 67th Street have welcomed us to their Friday fish fry. Of course, nothing can compare with the support of the Manatee Marine Moms.

When Sean was leaving, he reminded me he would be 30 years old when he returned. He might be 30, but he is still my baby. I can't wait to put my arms around him and feel his warm breath on my face, just as I anticipated his birth and holding him in my arms.

I have rehearsed the moment we see him and hold him again. I am thinking that right after I tell him how much I love him, my next words will be: Job well done and this Bud's for you!

Katie Powers, R.N., is a board-certified lactation consultant and perinatal educator at Manatee Memorial Hospital's Family BirthPlace. Her column appears every other week in WellBeing. Contact her at katie.powers@mmhhs.com.

Ellie