PDA

View Full Version : Medals

CplReiber
04-12-06, 12:41 PM
Do the Marines still have to pay for all of the medals they recieve??? My brother recieved a Purple Heart when he was blown out of his hummer in Iraq and they tell him that he has to buy his own medal. It might jsut be me, but i think it is bull****. Thanks for your time, thanks for being a Marine.:usmc:

Taz97
04-12-06, 01:44 PM
My medal was pinned on me by the Div Commander, so it was "free" in a way. I assume all are the same way. But you will have to pay for it the rest of the time if you need a replacement or whatever.

rktect3j
04-12-06, 01:53 PM
I think it is supply and demand. Several medals I was issued without having to pay while others I stopped waiting and just went out and bought them.

Taz97
04-12-06, 01:59 PM
I think it is supply and demand. Several medals I was issued without having to pay while others I stopped waiting and just went out and bought them.

When they presented you with the warrant awarding you the medal, did it not have the medal with it?

outlaw3179
04-12-06, 02:11 PM
If you want anodized you will definetly have to go buy your own. You should have been presented a non-anodized one at your ceremony.

Taz97
04-12-06, 02:25 PM
If you want anodized you will definetly have to go buy your own. You should have been presented a non-anodized one at your ceremony.

Thats what I was asking him, its always given to you at the ceremony as far as I know.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-12-06, 03:16 PM
While it didn't happen to me, I do know some Marines that were never given the warrant or the medal at times. It may have been an isolated incident, but they were on a MEU and were awarded the JMUC and something else. However, the only way they ever knew about them was that it appeared in their SRB's. Perhaps the original post is about a situation similiar to this one.

rktect3j
04-12-06, 03:26 PM
When they presented you with the warrant awarding you the medal, did it not have the medal with it?
I received the Southwest Asia Service Medal 4 times. 3 times during the Persian Gulf War and once about 2 years later when I went back on the USS Fort Fisher during West Pac 92'. I only own one medal for this as of today. I am pretty sure I bought it and the 3 bronze stars that go with it. As for the warrants, I don't actually think I have all of them for all my medals and ribbons. But they are listed on my DD214. I would have to go back and look through all my records to verify that but I really do not remember getting all the warrants as well as all of the medals. Sorry.

outlaw3179
04-12-06, 03:31 PM
Ive got a JMUC, Humanitarian, and NUC, that we were just told .."Hey you rate this"..so I could definetly see it happening. But I think personal awards not unit awards you should get during a ceremony.

rktect3j
04-12-06, 03:32 PM
Thats what I was asking him, its always given to you at the ceremony as far as I know.
Ceremony? You can't tell but I am laughing right now. Man, when we got back from the Persian Gulf War, after the first parade, nobody wanted to do a whole hell of a lot. We were all over the place. Some of us were still in Saudi Arabia for another month while are units went back stateside. Those Marines probably got the medals and warrants. I got to clean up Saudi Arabia. Then it took another month getting from that admin center at mainside back into my unit in Las Flores. They decided to hold us there for security details and schitt before forewarding us on to our brothers. By the time I got to my unit, half of it was on leave.

ssgtt32
04-12-06, 06:12 PM
I do belive that the only time you have a ceremony/warrant/medal, awarded is when that award is a personnel one (i.e, Purple Heart, Silver/Bronze Star, Navy and Marine Corps Acheievment, etc.), all others NUMC, MUC, Sea Service, Comabt Action! are all ribbons which are listed in and ALMAR, all campaigns medals are issued under an ALMAR, if you were in the AO, the S-1 is supposed to research all SRB's and make sure the approriate entry is made! sometimes you do not even know that you rate a certain award, until the annual SRB review! hope this clears some things up!

Maurice :flag:

jryanjack
04-12-06, 06:26 PM
Funny story,

I wrote into USMC Records Center in KCMO requesting a review of my awards to make sure I had them all (sometimes unit awards take years to be awarded). Anyway, they sent me one of each medal and ribbon I had been awarded, plus one that I was never awarded and did not earn - the Antartic Service Medal - even including an attachment to my 214 indicating I was awarded it. I do however have the Artic Service Ribbon which is a little different!

SSGTT32 is correct - personal awards are normally given to you - unit awards, including campain medals you usually have to get on your own.

awb5711
04-13-06, 08:53 AM
I know for the different Unit Citations (PUC, JMUC, NUC, and MUC) they are ribbons and not medals and do not rate a warrant.

Taz97
04-13-06, 09:26 AM
Ceremony? You can't tell but I am laughing right now. Man, when we got back from the Persian Gulf War, after the first parade, nobody wanted to do a whole hell of a lot. We were all over the place. Some of us were still in Saudi Arabia for another month while are units went back stateside. Those Marines probably got the medals and warrants. I got to clean up Saudi Arabia. Then it took another month getting from that admin center at mainside back into my unit in Las Flores. They decided to hold us there for security details and schitt before forewarding us on to our brothers. By the time I got to my unit, half of it was on leave.

I hear the stories from my father all the time like that.

CplReiber
04-15-06, 09:48 AM
well if it sometimes takes a year then i can understand. i am not a Marine, my brothers are. Please do not get confused, i am not a Marine yet. thank you guys for your time. and thank you for your service.