PDA

View Full Version : Chaplain changes lives in Iraq

thedrifter
04-10-06, 02:47 PM
Chaplain changes lives in Iraq
Contributed Article

Commander Alan "Mads" Hansen, Deputy Force chaplain of the II Marine Expeditionary Force and the son of Charles Hansen of Pima, was awarded the Bronze Star on March 30 for his devotion to Marines and sailors in Iraq.

“He worked hard, really hard, to make sure every Marine and sailor's faith was covered,” Col. John L. Ledoux, Marine chief of staff, said in his remarks prior to awarding the medal to Hansen.

According to the award citation, the McGill, Nev., native served a year in Iraq. His role as adviser and confidante to more than 53,000 service members of all faiths was instrumental to the success of the Marines and sailors of Camp Fallujah.

Hansen, born on Independence Day in Ely, Nev., enlisted in the Navy in 1976, serving aboard the USS Duluth and the USS Samuel Gompers as a shipman until 1980. He graduated from Wayland Baptist University in Plainview, Texas, with a bachelor of arts in theology in 1984. Commissioned as a lieutenant junior grade in 1992, Hansen has served all over the world with Marines as chaplain and religious adviser.

In addition to the Bronze Star, Hansen was previously awarded the Navy Commen-dation Medal with three stars in lieu of multiple awards, the Navy Achievement Medal, the Iraqi Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Medal, the Southwest Asia Medal and the Meritorious Unit Commendation, among others.

Along with deployments to the Middle East, Hansen has been stationed in Naples, Italy and Fuji, Japan. He began serving with Marines when he was the Midway Park Chapel pastor in 1997, followed by the School of Infantry East pastorship in 1998 and 1999. He's worked closely with the Corps ever since.

Ledoux introduced Han-sen as a “combat multiplier” and said he enriched countless lives on the battlefield.

“I was blessed to go with such a superb group of people,” Hansen said. “It was just incredible. The chapel seated about 1,400 people. It was a very high-tech, very professional church service.”

Many became aware of their spirituality in Iraq, and Hansen said this was the greatest part of his deployment.

“There were a lot of lives changed,” Hansen remembered. “There became a definite religious awareness, and people wanted to express their faith.”

When Hansen first arrived at Camp Fallujah, he assisted the staff and wounded at Fallujah Surgical Station. He recalled an instance in which medical doctors were tirelessly working to save an insurgent suspected of attacking Marines. Hansen was there, providing moral and ethical inspiration to medical teams who sought guidance on coming to terms with aiding those they considered the enemy.

“I wasn't there just for the wounded,” Hansen said. “A lot of the time it was the doctors who needed to talk. Nothing could prepare them for what they went through there. It was quite an experience.”

Hansen returned to Camp Lejeune in January, awaiting orders. Until then, his wife, Elizabeth, and their two children live in Jacksonville, Fla.

“I'm glad to be back,” he said with a smile. “I'm honored to receive the Bronze Star, but I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the young Marines living in the heat of the desert. They are doing such a wonderful job, and they aren't getting this award.”

Hansen said he has a passion for working with Marines and hopes to always work close to them.

“I like the green side,” he stated, a term generally used to mean Marines or Navy personnel serving with Marines in operational environments. “Don't get me wron; I like going to sea with the blue side, but there is just a strong, heartfelt passion for Marines.”

Ellie