PDA

View Full Version : Doc Randall's Revenge

Shaffer
12-07-02, 11:57 AM
One of our very own members has finished his first novel entitled Doc Randall's Revenge. Here is a link where you can review his book:

Doc Randall's Revenge (http://www.leatherneck.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1)

I have also invited Doc to post some comments about the book here on Leatherneck. Feel free to ask him questions and/or add comments about the author and the book.

Semper Fi,
Jerry
:marine:

docsavage
12-07-02, 08:54 PM
Hi - I would like to thank Jerry for helping me in getting the word out about this effort. I truly believe this to be a unique story which many of us can identify with - indeed it was born of my own experiences, but it is not an autobiography. When one first starts writing, the advice is almost always "Write what you know." Doc Randall starts with what I know and then expands.

If you received a "Dear John" letter and maintained contact with the author of that letter, you may be able to understand this - but the protagonist is thrust into the past when he meets the woman's adult daughter who reminds him of her mother. Things begin to happen that no one can control. If you have questions I would be glad to answer them or discuss any aspect of my writing and publishing experience

wrbones
12-07-02, 11:08 PM
How much schoolin' do ya have? The english classes, creative writing classes, lit., etc.etc.

Is writing a "chore" for you as other writers have described the experience?

How many compromises did you have to make to your manuscript after your first contact with a publisher?

Was this writing experience a matter of exorcising some personal demons?

What kind of writing experience did you have prior to the publication of your book?

I'll think of something else later.....:D

Drop by fer Morning Coffee and later on the Slop Shute gives away free beer to FNG's! That what Drifter said anyway!

Welcome aboard!

docsavage
12-08-02, 09:13 AM
I will try to answer your questions one by one:

Q - How much schoolin' do ya have? The english classes, creative writing classes, lit., etc.etc.

A - I love school and have spent considerable time collecting degrees - I have a PhD in a medical discipline and recently got a masters in Technical and Scientific Writing. I hope to become a medical writer when I retire. These are all technical aspects of writing - I have infused some creative writing into that kind of work, but its not always appreciated

Q - Is writing a "chore" for you as other writers have described the experience?

A - It is not when I have the time, but I am not like Caputo, Demille or O'Brien in that they are professional writers - novelists. I have another job and I have to take to write - more like a hobby (and I know thats a taboo approach). It took me five years to write Doc Randall. I have found that the writing was the easy part compared to this marketing task

Q - How many compromises did you have to make to your manuscript after your first contact with a publisher?

A - actually none, but it took me over a year to find the right publisher

Q - Was this writing experience a matter of exorcising some personal demons?

A - thats a good question, but I don't know the answer. The book was based on some personal experiences which were unpleasant, but I have a wonderful life and considerable myself most fortunate. I always felt I had this one good story in me, based on the personal stuff - so I wrote it. I thought lots of us veterans could identify with the "Dear John" scenario

Q - What kind of writing experience did you have prior to the publication of your book?

A- I am a scientist and have written several scientific manuscripts and other related documents

I'll think of something else later.....

Drop by fer Morning Coffee and later on the Slop Shute gives away free beer to FNG's! That what Drifter said anyway!

Welcome aboard!

wrbones
12-08-02, 06:41 PM
Thanks fer yer answers Doc! I appreciate yer honesty.

To re-cap. What branch of the service were you with, and when did you serve? MOS's and all that noise, if it's not intruding.

And for the FNG's, how much of your success do you attribute to your experience as a Verteran?

docsavage
12-08-02, 07:31 PM
No Problem on your questions - I was in the USMC - made E-5 Sgt thanks to my MOS - 0231 - Intelligence Analyst. Was at Khe Sahn during the Siege in 1968. Had some great friends and experiences in the corps. My success - now thats an interesting question - I would need to consider what its compared to - I am alive and happy and intact; but things could have gone differently. The Corps did show me what I needed to do and how I needed to be committed. It gave me an attitude; the application for which I became successful. Now I need a Hollywood producer/director/writer to buy the rights to this unique story and take care of me for life (tongue in cheek here)

docsavage
12-08-02, 09:11 PM
Just in - a most current review from the local alternative paper - scrool down about half way - look for my name - Russell E. Savage Jr and Doc Randall's Revenge -

http://www.citybeat.com/current/cover.shtml#writers

wrbones
12-09-02, 12:16 PM
What type of book is this being marketed as. Romance, action/adventure, novel,?

docsavage
12-09-02, 06:12 PM
Military Fiction

SHOOTER1
12-09-02, 08:30 PM
damm, here i thought you might have written the Doc Savage pocket books , i could never git enought of them back when, im thinking he was a Marine too, least he fought like one in the books, guess ill have to give yours a try , luck to you.

docsavage
12-09-02, 09:22 PM
Thanks - I can use all the support I can get. I am not out to get rich, but I did think that this was a unique story. An emotionally damaged guy from a vulnerable time in his life. He appears to get his life together, but maybe not, only on the outside. His high school sweetheart and a less demanding time seem to suggest a better place to be and he goes there when he sees the daughter of the woman who left him high and dry - but it won't ever be the same - will it?

docsavage
12-12-02, 03:03 PM
Just a Note here on the book's Dedication - I dedicated this book

to every Marine who received the "dreaded dear john letter" and the six most important women in my life. I hope that most of you didn't get dear johns or dealt with them better than Doc Randall did.

I am also wondering if you might venture guesses as to who the six women might be - at least relative wise?

Thoughts on that???

wrbones
12-12-02, 03:04 PM
Hey, Doc.

Where can we get a copy of yer book?

docsavage
12-12-02, 03:09 PM
Actually, I am glad you ask. You can buy copies online at www.barnesandnoble.com; www.amazon.com or www.proteapublishing.com. If you press the ad at this site, it should take you directly to the barnes and noble site.

Also, I have a few advance softcover copies left which I would be glad to autograph and send to you for $20 each - no tax or postage.

You can send your check to

Russell E. Savage Jr
8122 Kemperridge Court
Cincinnati, Ohio 45249-2249

If you want a signature - no problem; if you want me to say something clever, you will need to help out with that and of course, I need a place to send your book after I get your check

thanks for your interest and support!

docsavage
12-26-02, 06:01 PM
Official Summary for Doc Randall's Revenge - for those of you interested, while there are comments from readers, the official book summary is nowhere to be found on this site so here it is:

William Ranger Randall seems to have the idyllic life. He is a scientist with a sound research career in a prestigious medical school. He has a beautiful family comprised of an intelligent, attractive and highly successful wife and two wonderful children. He seems to have put his days in Vietnam and the Marine Corps far in his past. But there is that one haunting and perpetual memory - the woman who abandoned him for financial security just when he was about to make his way back to safety and her embrace. She realized her mistake, but couldn't quite rectify it. Instead she chose to periodically enter Will's life, seeking assurances of his love and loyalty for her and always promising a life together - soon. In spite of all he had and all he knew about her, he couldn't say no. He was always there for her, but she was never there for him. Instead she subjected him to one brutal mistreatment after another. He learned to live with them, but could never quite believe that they wouldn't one day be together. After three decades, it seemed not to be, but when her daughter entered Will's life, events were set in motion that not one of the three could alter.