PDA

View Full Version : What is the limit?

StrykerPanther
04-07-06, 10:23 PM
Hello,
I have heard alot about a certain time I would have to get for the 3 mile run. What is the time that i have to get down too? My best during cross country was a 24 minute. How close is that?. ..If anyone could help that would be awsome.....I have the push-ups and pull-ups I am just curious about the run time. So that way i can start focusing more on my running than i already am....thank you.

ssgtt32
04-08-06, 07:40 AM
If i remember correctly, for your age group, to receive a perfect score of 100, you have to do the 3 mile run in 18min or less over 28 is failing, as you get older minutes are aaded, hope this helps

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-17-06, 06:19 PM
SSgt, you are 100 percent correct. But, I still don't understand why the failing number is so low. I don't remember anyone even coming close to that time, unless they were recovering from an injury of some sort.

outlaw3179
04-17-06, 07:33 PM
Im not a good runner by any stretch and my best time was 20:30. There should be no reason why the track stars and gazelles cant hit way under that.

rktect3j
04-18-06, 07:25 AM
SSgt, you are 100 percent correct. But, I still don't understand why the failing number is so low. I don't remember anyone even coming close to that time, unless they were recovering from an injury of some sort.
I did it on my last PFT. Actually I came in at 27:55. I had to walk a bit of it. Maybe a mile to get it done. But when someone ****es me off I like to give back a bit. I did this because I was EAS'ing the next day and instead of just cutting me some slack I had to go do this PFT during the day when I was trying to run around getting all my papers sigend and bags packed etc, etc. Normally I came in between 21 and 24 minutes.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-18-06, 10:36 AM
rktect, that proves my point. You walked a mile and still passed. But, I do understand your pain. On the day I went on terminal I ran a 4 mile PT run in the morning and stood a CGI wall locker inspection in Alphas at about 1500. Sometimes the silliness known no bounds.

Still, when I got out I went right into the reserve. Oddly enough, I was in the field with a TOW company for my EAS. And even the reservists that NEVER PT'ed seemed able to run 3 miles in 28 minutes.

StrykerPanther
04-18-06, 12:57 PM
I can usually run the three mile in around 25...but i was afraid there would be a time i would have to get to in order to make it through the IST....but i think it is only a mile and a half? right? I can do right around ten pull ups, but i still want to get up to 20 before i go to basics in about a year....and I can do more than 50 crunches in 2 minutes. I was just un sure about the time of the 3 mile/ 1 1/2 mile......Thanx

TazMatt
04-18-06, 02:29 PM
At one time at Parris Island I had just returned to full duty from a broken foot and had to do a pft I had one of my fastest times of the three mile run and it was right at 18 min and I was 26 years old at the time and so I had plenty of time to spare. I didn't do this all the time but it really is and was according to how you feel the day you do your running.:flag: Sgt Matt U.S.M.C. 1969-75

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-18-06, 09:34 PM
Stryker, you have to run the 1 1/2 mile IST in 13:30. I'm not positive, but I think a brisk walk would get you close.

StrykerPanther
04-20-06, 01:04 PM
Yeah for the IST i should be okay. I can probably get my mile time to about a seven minute or maybe six....so the rest of the 1 1/2 shouldnt be to hard. I know im physically strong enough im just not sure if im mentally tough enough..Thanx..

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-20-06, 02:01 PM
Stryker, you said you ran cross country in HS. If so, you know well that you can complete the distance. Just go out and run, don't worry so much about the time. If it proves to be a problem for you, let us know. We can help you along the way.

awb5711
04-24-06, 12:12 PM
I'd worry more about your crunches if you are only doing around 50 in two minutes. Those are easy points on your PFT and it doesnt take too much work to get to 100.

DevilDogHEMech
04-27-06, 12:18 AM
Stryker, once you are sure that you can pass the run portion of the PFT you should start working on the other two parts. Dropping your run time by a full minute only gives you six more points, but every single pullup is worth five points. This is where a lot of Marines in the fleet get their high scores from, not from running. And fifty sit-ups is only enough to get you through boot camp. For the rest of the Marine Corps, it is pretty much standard to get all one hundred of them in two minutes, this is a bad place to lose points at. Start working on your PFT score now while it it still early, because your PFT will play a large part later in promotion points and meritorious boards.

Hocker
04-27-06, 06:52 PM
Stryker, once you are sure that you can pass the run portion of the PFT you should start working on the other two parts. Dropping your run time by a full minute only gives you six more points, but every single pullup is worth five points. This is where a lot of Marines in the fleet get their high scores from, not from running. And fifty sit-ups is only enough to get you through boot camp. For the rest of the Marine Corps, it is pretty much standard to get all one hundred of them in two minutes, this is a bad place to lose points at. Start working on your PFT score now while it it still early, because your PFT will play a large part later in promotion points and meritorious boards.

I didnt do jack before boot camp except party and chase girls pleeaassee dont do this you will be sooooooo sorry . I coughed up stuff I didnt know existed from my lungs , lift wieghts and get your cardio up your going to need it.

csilva
04-27-06, 07:47 PM
running is all about your breathing, the better you can control it, the better your time will be. dont think about the pain, just think the sooner you finish, the sooner you can stop, unless your with a bunch of motivated devildogs who like to run for more than 3 miles, then you keep chugging. pullups is the real money maker though, crunches is an easy 100 points. run time will improve if you keep running.

Stanley Hroszow
07-02-06, 06:01 PM
Time to go public with this one, one thing for pull ups, is to strengthen the arms. with all the other training you do, add using a rubber ball, not the hollow type use one, or two, one in each hand, this will help take care of the arms and add more pull ups, I know this works my platoon had problems with pull ups, and the DI's gave us rubber balls, to solve this problem, and it worked we all passed with high numbers.