PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary of Parris Island Death March

beaufort bob
04-07-06, 09:56 AM
"When SSgt. Matthew McKeon decided to march Platoon 71 into the swampy Ribbon Creek the night of April 8, 1956 to instill some discipline in lacking recruits, he was unaware of the deep water and deadly currents in the marsh waters - and unaware his decision would cost the lives of six Parris Island recruits and shake the Marine Corps to its core."
To read the entire story, log onto www.beaufortgazette.com (http://www.beaufortgazette.com).
I graduated from Parris Island 36 years ago and now reside in Beaufort. Living here is quite an experience being only 10 minutes from the Recruit Depot and MCAS. F-18 hornets roar over my house on a daily basis. Most people would be annoyed with the noise, but I refer to it as the sound of freedom. I didn't choose Beaufort as a place to retirenot because the Marine Corps is here....it's simply a great place to live. However, I must admit that I enjoy my frequent visits to the PX and dining at the Officer's Club which is now open to the general public. Parris Island also has one of the best golf courses in the area. Beaufort is a great vacation destination. Don't come in the summer. The heat will grab you real fast.:evilgrin: