PDA

View Full Version : Marine retires after 32 years

thedrifter
04-07-06, 07:26 AM
Marine retires after 32 years
By Ron Pazola
STAFF WRITER

Col. Glen Sachtleben, a Wheaton native, has retired from the Marines after 32 years. He has been working as a civilian since March for the Federal Emergency Management Agency in Atlanta.

Sachtleben, 53, served in the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade, an anti-terrorist group that deactivated the day he retired. The brigade had more than 6,000 Marines and sailors stationed around the world.

Sachtleben said he is looking forward to the challenges of his new job as a federal coordinating officer for FEMA.

But his heart will always be with the Marines.

"Once a Marine, always a Marine," he said.

Since June 1974, Sachtleben has served in roles ranging from rifle platoon commander to brigade-level commander.

He studied at various military schools, including the U.S Army War College, and served in Japan, Haiti and Africa.

During his tenure in the Marines, Sachtleben received numerous decorations, including the Legion of Merit, Defense Superior Service Medal, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Navy Achievement Medal and Combat Action Ribbon.

He earned a bachelor's degree in forestry at Michigan Tech University and a master's degree in management from Salve Regina University in Newport, R.I.

Sachtleben developed a respect for the Marines at an early age.

"I was a teenager when my uncle was in the Marine Corps," he said. "I really looked up to him and knew that one day I would become a Marine, too."

He enlisted, and his first assignment was as an infantry officer. He also worked as a guard officer in California in 1974 for Vietnamese refugees.

"Col. Sachtleben commanded at all levels of the Marine Corps," said Maj. Cliff Gilmore, director of public affairs. "I've worked with him on various projects, and he was always calm and gave clear guidance even in stressful situations. I could always rely on him for help."

Sachtleben and his wife, Laurie, have four children — Joseph, Robert, Danielle and Michael.

Contact Ron Pazola at rpazola@scn1.com or (630) 416-5283.

Ellie