PDA

View Full Version : What's next?

LongShot
07-03-02, 12:31 PM
Last year we had a school ban DodgeBall, arguably the greatest recess and P.E. game ever invented. Now we have CA schools getting the 9th Court to declare the Pledge.. unconstitutional. Now I read that another school has banned TAG unless it is supervised by adults to ensure that all kids involved end up being "IT". This was because some of the kids might feel "victimized" by being "IT" and not being able to catch someone else. Isn't that the point of the game, to not be it? And if you are "IT" and you cant catch anyone else thats just tough? If the adults make sure that everyony is "IT" it's not TAG anymore! Why are we teaching kids that it's wrong to be competitive. Don't we want them to try to be better, not just average. What's next? Cant play Duck, Duck, Goose? The person who it tagged as Goose might be traumatized for life? And how about Smear the Queer? There must be a whole host of problems with that one. It's getting really sad. Kids cant even be kids without PC adults getting in the way and telling them how to have fun. Sad.

LadyLeatherneck
07-05-02, 11:26 AM
My son just started playing soccer and the coach told us that
they don't keep score because they want the kids to have fun..
and blah blah blah. So at the first game the other team had 2
goals and my son's team zip and when he came over to drink water
I told my son "wow, they put in 2 goals" and he said "it's okay,
we don't keep score", I said "well either way you guys are losing
so you better get in there and play hard." I play tag and dodge
ball with my kids all the time. I don't want them to grow up being
some whinning adults....SUCK IT UP AND GET HARD!!! They need
to learn to be GOOD losers too!

LongShot
07-05-02, 12:10 PM
Good for you. I agree that it's important that kids learn how to lose. It's just as important as winning. If we let them grow up without knowing what it feels like to lose the first real loss of their life will be quite a blow. Just another example of the Pacification of America. I really believe we ( society ) are doing great harm to the next generation by trying to teach them to not be competetive. Were teaching them to settle for what ever comes along instead of teaching them to strive for something better. Were creating a scociety of wimps. A society where everyone is just average. If I would have been happy with just being average I would not have joined the Marines and would be flipping burgers at McDonalds as we speak. But I was taught that I can be whatever I wanted to be as long as I was willing to put forth the effort. If we teach kids that it's not important to keep score why should they put forth any effort. So is also not important to get good grades? Is it not important to get a good job? I'm not sure who said that being competetive was wrong, but he needs to be put out of his misery. My guess is it's some adult who was always "it" on the playground and just didn't try hard enough to catch the other kids. Sad.

tun75
07-05-02, 08:13 PM
I cant agree with you guys more. if theres no competition then why try? you have to have external competition in order to learn how to challenge yourself. LL (CHC? so confused on names now lol) that would be me i would be yelling the score out to my kids on the field you have to learn to be able to turn it up a notch when needed. 110% plus!! LS- your right thats probaly the Pu$$y who couldn't get a goal because he was too busy picking his nose to reallly practice. OK you guys got me goin time for a beer. too bad im still at work.
Semper Fi,
Bill