PDA

View Full Version : How can this happen here??

bugs
04-06-06, 10:05 AM
Isnt this going a little too far??? How can they tell our citizens that they can not be patrotic in a public school???:sick:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/8439483/detail.html

news
More

Video: Schools Ban Patriotic Clothes, Flags

Schools Ban Patriotic Clothes, Flags
School Officials Say Move Is Temporary

POSTED: 10:24 am PDT April 3, 2006
UPDATED: 10:05 am PDT April 5, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

SAN DIEGO -- In the wake of last week's immigration-reform protests, one school district is taking drastic measures, banning all symbols of patriotism, both U.S. and Mexican.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discuss: District Bans Patriotic Clothes, Flags
Discuss: Illegal Immigration
Survey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning Monday, the Oceanside Unified School District is banning all flags and patriotic clothing. According to school officials, some students are using the garments and flags to taunt classmates.

Some critics of the move are calling it a violation of free speech protections guaranteed by the Constitution.

The American Civil Liberties Union points to the landmark Supreme Court case Tinker v. Des Moines. In that case, school officials attempted to stop students who were protesting the Viet Nam War from wearing black armbands.

"The school has to be able to show a strong likelihood that there is going to material and substantial disruption of school, and if they don’t meet that standard, then they can't censor student speech," said Kevin Neenan of the ACLU.

School officials in Oceanside now say that flags -- whether they are U.S. or Mexican or any other country's -- have now become a divider on campuses, saying that some students are using them to taunt other students

Keith Brentlinger displays the U.S. flag outside Hatter, Williams and Purdy, his Oceanside business.

"To me, it's everything," said Brentlinger "I mean, like I said -- we truly live in the greatest country in the world."

Brentlinger said he was shocked on Tuesday when marching immigration-reform protesters tore down the flag outside his business.

"Some of them just grabbed the flag, and pulled it off its aluminum pole, and it got ripped," said Brentlinger.

Brentlinger told NBC 7/39 that he put up a new flag the next day.

"Some protesters drove up in their car and snagged the flag from our building and took off," said Brentlinger. "I was extremely, extremely upset. I mean, it was just ... insulting is the word."

School officials are saying that the ban is just temporary and that they were just trying to prevent violence. They would not say how long the ban would be in effect.
Copyright 2006 by NBCSandiego.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Bige1371
04-06-06, 11:45 AM
I saw this on the news also. This makes me more upset than many current issues. Who the f are the school officials to ban the American Flag? I am curious as to how you could taunt some one with the American Flag? What country is this?

sniper 217
04-06-06, 01:26 PM
I hear ya Bige1371.. America Love it or leave it. The land of the free and home of the brave. and If you don't like it pack your ditty bag and get the hell out.

GySgtRet
04-06-06, 03:49 PM
with moral decline I would think at the minimum our children would have the
R I G H T to wave and display the the symbol of our great nation. The Oceanside Unified School District needs to backoff of this. ARe they illeagal alliens that run that school district? What are they hidding? I am not mad about this at all. But the schools and everybody else that gets offended in my country shouldn't have the right to dictate patriotism to me or anybody else that is a legal citezen of America...!!!

bugs
04-07-06, 06:02 AM
I heard that school lifted the ban...I need to research it again and find out why? It had to be because the wrath the district took from AMERICANS.....Still unbelievable that on AMERICAN soil someone would dare to do that in the first place!

God Bless AMERICA!