PDA

View Full Version : How do you see...

bugs
04-06-06, 09:59 AM
To my brothers whom I hope still consider me one of their own…….
I am a former Marine from the reserves. I was activated for the Gulf War – Desert Shield/Storm. I am a 0311 who was assigned to an H&S Co, and placed in a STA plt after BC and MOS schooling. I have lived in a depressed role for much of my life since the war due to not making the trip to ‘the box’ amongst other things. FYI - our training in the reserves did consist, on a very downscaled version of the fleets, in STA training. I understand I will never be an 8541, but have had some of the training including some direct 2 week course with the SS instructors. I will never claim to be a 8541, or SS. I was placed with them,I did not have the choice.
I feel that I am looked down on for not only not making it there but also for only joining as a reserve. This bothers me everyday to an extent.
I love this country and what it represents and wanted to give my thanks and to protect it in any way I could. I did not join the Corp for the education nor for any training that would help me in life (job wise), as is seen in my MOS. I loved, and continue to love everything the Corp stands for and represents.
Prior to being activated I had injuries from civilian life in my back. Upon learning of my units activation I went to my doctor and said I was healed, just so as to not miss this opportnunity to serve my country. I was given the OK, and joined my Unit prior to being deployed. We, as you all know had no idea where we were headed after staging in Camp Pen. The only hope I had, as well as my Plt, was that we would be able to use the skills we had developed, our training though very minimal to what the fleet’s STA plt’s achieve. Prior to deployment our Plt was picked apart, some of them were shipped to the weapons Co. I did make the cut to stay with my STA unit.
When I first was talking with a recruiter prior to signing up, I was looking into joining the fleet, as a tank crewman. That fact eats at me more due to knowing I would have made it to the box had I continued that route. Since I changed my thinking prior t signing I did not make it there, and am now faced with this pain of not being able to have the chance to protect our brothers.
I guess I needed to tell somebody this, and these feelings I have and try to get answers on the way I am looked at from the fleet.
I don’t like to get into conversation with many people about my experiences, due to the feeling of being looked down on – at times have even questioned my self of considering myself PROUD to be a Marine…..
Guess I need to get closure from my brothers, whom I pray call me their brother in return……

rktect3j
04-06-06, 10:31 AM
There are a lot of Marines who feel that way. I was 0352 TOW gunner from 89'-93' War started while I was in Okinawa at Camp Schwab. After I left Oki, that unit shipped over there while I was being sent to Camp Pendleton. I was attached to 1st Light Armored Infantry later to become 1st Light Armored Recon. They had already shipped by the time I arrived. I had to do everything I could, talk with officers or whatever, to get to the war. They made me help set up the CRC, Casualty Replacement Company, and training camp in 29 Palms. After another month I arrived in theater a few days after the air campaign started but later got reassigned to a motor t unit where I sat around in the rear with the gear. The ground war came so quick and went just as quick. There was no time to get bumped into a unit that needed a tank killer. End story.

I had the same feeling you did. We needed to get to the war to help protect our brothers. Since then I have had time to think about it all. I did my best and gave my all. Those that saw combat that I knew while serving out the years after the war never looked down on me or any others coming in for not having gotten to the front lines. If a Marine looks down on you for your service I would suggest he is no brother of mine. We all have a role to play and the Corps needs come first.

:flag:

Semper Fi

rktect3j
04-06-06, 10:41 AM
And please, if you served in the Corps try and refrain from the phrase "former Marine". You can express yourself by using "prior enlisted" if you are not comfortable with "Marine".

Just FYI.

:evilgrin:

bugs
04-06-06, 11:12 AM
Thanks RK.....
........I misused the wording, just did not want to use X-Marine......I'll switch it from this point forward....

jryanjack
04-06-06, 11:17 AM
I agree completely with RKT. I was transferred to Oki in July of 1990 and was further deployed to MAGTF 4-90 in the PI in late July. I can remember exactly what I was doing when Sodamninsane crossed the border, knowing that if my orders had been delayed by only a matter of weeks I would have been going to the box - or the show as I think of it. I had trained long and hard for 4 years and now was missing out on getting to do my job for real! Don't beat yourself up over what is beyond your control.

The point is - someone would have had to fill your role, so you have nothing to fill down or unworthy about. You earned the title and stood up when asked to defend your country, that's all that matters. The way I look at it now, is while 2/3 of the Corps was in the gulf, it was up to me to protect 95% of the rest of the world.

bugs
04-06-06, 11:24 AM
Ya know, it helps hearing these words...I always knew that there were so many others out there who were in the same shoes I was....Now it just comfirms it.........
...I was In Oki when the ground war started.....then shiped to PI..........
All I really had to do when deployed was train - which I loved - and clean up Subic after the voco - which wasnt soo much fun..........

thanks Brothers

rktect3j
04-06-06, 11:32 AM
Damm. We all seem to have been in the PI at around the same time. I think I was there in May, June and July of 90'. They had me patrolling the jungles for the NPA or RAM in case a coupe was going to happen. We were stationed at Clark Air Force Base, I think. Near Olongapo. Spent some time on green beach. Gunny got killed out in the city along with a couple of sailors I believe.

Taz97
04-06-06, 11:40 AM
I have been on active for almost 9 years. I have 2 tours to Iraq, and 1 to Afghan.

You are still one of my brothers as far as I am concerned.

S/F

bugs
04-06-06, 11:41 AM
Activated in sept or October of 90. I was in CA, Camp Pen - flew to Oki on X-mas day - missed x-mas with the date change - landed on the 26th, 90. Stayed in Oki till Feb or March of 91 then over to PI for 3 months, then back to Oki, and so on - activation ended in Aug/Sept of 91.
I was stationed in upper MEF while in PI.
After these replies I'm just glad I was able to do what I did!

bugs
04-06-06, 11:42 AM
Taz, thanks alot my Brother - you stay safe and watch our other brothers!

Bige1371
04-06-06, 12:28 PM
Bugs, i think everyone that was in has something they wish they would have done different. But we have to focus on the good because we can't change the past. I think everyone that was in Active gives the Reserve guys a hard time. But we still respect them the same. Clark Air Force base looks ok now i guess. We where there in 2001 I think. Restricted to base but we were still allowed to have female visitors. They put us up in the holiday inn on base. I know what you are thinking, man you guys had it rough. Yes we did. lol

outlaw3179
04-06-06, 12:35 PM
Bugs I got of the Marines when I was with 2/1 in 01 shortly after 9/11. As soon as I got out I felt like I made a huge mistake. Shortly after I got out I joined the reserves. Eventually the build up began for the invasion of Iraq. 2/1 and it seemed like every other grunt unit was going. I know exactly how it feels to watch all your buddies go and you sitting on the sidelines. My grunt reserve unit did not get a chance to go at that time, but eventually we did. Even to this day I still feel like I abandoned my Marines. Its something that you deal with. Thats just why Marines are different than everyone else. We are sheepdogs and thats what we do. Even though I dont know you , I am proud to call you my brother. Semper Fi Marine!

bugs
04-06-06, 12:39 PM
outlaw,
The words and thoughts of support just dont seem to stop. I joined this site in 03, as you can see, and never posted anything till recently. I guess it finally caught up with me and needed the ones i knew I could trust in, My brother Marines.
I'm am glad to be your Brother as well as the brother to all our brothers out there.

Ya all know how to lift a brother up when he's down - thanks all!

rb1651
04-06-06, 07:59 PM
bugs,
I served 10 years in our Corps and never seen combat. I was in during the Beruit bombing and Grenada, and yes it p***ed me off. But as a wise Major from 3rd MAW, Wing G-3, (Major Roddy, thank you, I'll never forget you), told me I had a job to do, whether it was on the line, or behind it. "Without the rear support, the front falls." (And that is a quote I will never forget! I don't know if this is an original saying by him or not, but he said to me, and other enlisted members in the Ops Deparment, and it's one that sticks with me today.)

Bottom line, you're a Marine, the best fighting force this Country has or ever will produce! You have nothing to be sorry for. Semper Fi, my Brother.

bugs
04-07-06, 06:17 AM
RB,
I'm pickin up what your layin down........I am very quickly getting over this feeling of 'guilt' that I let build up in me - thanks to you and all my brothers whom have straightened me up and made me realize that I should never be dischouraged nor feel like I am being looked down on by anyone - neither military nor civilian! I earned the title, I respect the title, andno one can ever take that away!

Semper Fi

Once again I thank all my bros.......

redneck13
04-07-06, 10:39 AM
:flag: You served your country didn't you?, by being a Marine? It don't make no difference if you were in a combat zone, fought, didn't fight, just be proud young man that you "SERVED YOUR COUNTRY", as a "MARINE." It wasn't your choice as to assignments was it? You're still one of my "BROTHER'S", there's no shame in not fighting......A big Semper-Fi to ya. Now, carry on you Maggot's!!

bugs
04-07-06, 11:20 AM
I lift my glass:beer: and say thank you to all my brothers whom have made me stand as proud as the day I gratuated BC!
I am not sure why I let this build up on me, but I do know one reason I let it continue.....I was a at a local 'funday' for children, I ran into (what I thought was a brother) and after talking for a bit, after he learned I was only a reservist whom was activated, he gave me a cold shoulder....Nothin had made me feel more down than that day. NOW, from all this support I say to him.....NO, I wont go there, I'm better than that!

I wish I could just pull this post....is there any way I can? I have no need for it anymore, I have been welcomed by many different generations here and appreciate each and everyone of them!

God Bless Our Brothers

Camper51
04-07-06, 11:31 AM
I too served years (8 of 'em) in the Corps without seeing combat but without my MOS thousands of Marines worldwide would NOT have been paid, no one would have gotten bonds or allotments. I drove a computer for the Corps yet I went through the SAME:scared: bootcamp and ITR that everyone else did and I ran my PFT's every 3 months the same as everyone else, so was I a Marine??? You bet your sweet can I was......and damn proud of it as well you should be, too!!!!!:flag:

lovdog
04-13-06, 05:31 PM
Hey, gotta add my 2 cents!! Why all the "Doom & Gloom" here?? Do you guys not yet realize what being a Marine is all about? Do you not understand that you are a very small minority that would even...

Sgt0811
04-13-06, 07:04 PM
:flag:
Hold your head up high and walk with pride Marine. You are one of my brothers.

Semper Fi,
Chick:marine:

junker316
04-13-06, 07:20 PM
Bugs Don't feel guilty about it. I have been to Iraq now three times to include the Gulf War. The way I see it, we needed some-one back home to make sure our families were being protected while the rest of us were gone. I should thank you for protecting our loved ones while we were away.

bugs
04-14-06, 05:55 AM
Thanks my brothers for the continued showing of support. I realized very quickly after posting this that I was not thinking straight for awhile now and that I cant let any of our other brothers bring me down just because he himself is not thinking clearly.
I have also stated that I would like to get rid of this post, but I do not know how to do it?
Its funny, I've seen the quote here, and have heard it many times before and it is so true...."You can take a man out of the Corp but you cant take the Corp out of the man", I bring this up due to the standards that I hold myself to, I get looks alot of times like "what are you doing?" When I do what is right and fair even though it's not the best thing for me directly.....I think I need to cut that last little bit and put it in SunMans post, because it is that kind of mentality that keeps us Marines up on that podiem!

Thanks yet again my brothers,

outlaw3179
04-14-06, 07:51 AM
I think it might be better if it was not removed just in case there are any other Marines that might be feeling the same way. That way they can see read all the posts.

rktect3j
04-14-06, 07:55 AM
I think it might be better if it was not removed just in case there are any other Marines that might be feeling the same way. That way they can see read all the posts.
You beat me to it Outlaw. That makes absolute sense. Keep it on the board so others can benifit from what we have said here. Lost knowledge takes a long time to recoup and many others would be adversly affected for no reason whatsoever at this point.

Osotogary
04-14-06, 07:56 AM
Bugs-
I'm going to chime in here...if you don't mind.
I'm a civilian and not a Marine. Am I a wannabee? No!
I've got to tell you that you should be prouder than heck to belong to such a reknowed organization as the United States Marines regardless of what your MOS was. Do you know how many folks wished that they were Marines but couldn't because of physical liabilities or personal situations? Do you realize how lucky you are to be able to say that, as long as you live, you will always be part of something? Do you realize that when you pass on and your obituary states that you were a United States Marine that there will people, that you don't even know, who will respond with well wishes and parting prayers? You've got something that never be taken away and that is the title of United States Marine. You've got something that you can build on if you haven't done so already. Congratulations on having served as a United States Marine.

Phantom Blooper
04-14-06, 08:05 AM
BAND OF BROTHERS

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'

Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words

Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.