PDA

View Full Version : what i hated most about Boot Camp was....?

The Sandman
04-01-06, 10:45 PM
to me it stands to reason that some things make Boot Camp hard for different people for different reasons. Some miss home, some hate the food, i imagine for many its the hours of PT. I figure to get the worst-case scenario about any given topic related to Boot id ask the opinions of those who felt it was the worst case scenario. So, please, fill in the rest. What i hated most about Boot Camp was....

jryanjack
04-02-06, 05:40 AM
Honestly, looking back on it now, there wasn't much that I hated about boot camp. I'm not saying that I enjoyed it, but I guess that I looked at it as a challenge that I had to get through. If I had to pick something it would be not being able to blouse your boots. That really bothered me, especially when we were in 3rd phase, f'ed something up and our DI's would make us un-blouse them and button the top buttom.

I didn't think that the food was that bad, for the most part I liked the chow hall food - however when they went "ethnic" sometimes it sucked. Fried Rabbit comes to mind, they served that one time, and that did not appeal to me at all.

PT was hard and long, but to me there's nothing more motovating then successfully completing a hard PT session.

outlaw3179
04-02-06, 06:56 AM
Water bowl PT..I dont think they do it anymore , but you use to have to stand there and drink and drink and drink. I hated that lol.

Future-USMC-LT
04-02-06, 01:00 PM
Water bowl PT..I dont think they do it anymore , but you use to have to stand there and drink and drink and drink. I hated that lol.

They still do it. One time they made us do it until about a quarter of the platoon started throwing up onto the squad bay floor. They also did it to us after we got back from the baseball game. They kept saying some bulls*** about getting all the nasty civilian food out of our bodies. Personally, I didn't eat that much, and, judging by the food we got in the chowhall, the civilian stuff was probably healthier:bunny: :bunny:. The thing is, you better put in a extra salt after getting water PT, or you can possibly get hypaneutremia (spelling?) if they packed enough water in you.

outlaw3179
04-02-06, 03:33 PM
Yeah I remember a while back on that subject came up and Iguess some kids got sick and died.

yellowwing
04-02-06, 03:50 PM
The smells were the worst. The constant salt marsh odors, add 6 second showers for 75 recruits and you get some real funk!

semperfiman
04-02-06, 09:37 PM
going thru the ditch in in moto

Future-USMC-LT
04-02-06, 10:54 PM
Amazingly, after about week 2, we were allowed to shower on our own during free time. This wasn't a problem as long as you didn't take forever to shower and shave. But when we were up at Pendleton, our kill hat would always give us a sh**load of stuff to do during free time. IIt's better to get all or most of the tasks done first, that way you know how long you have to hygiene.

Marine84
04-04-06, 02:54 PM
Dana - A BASEBALL GAME? Boy! The Corps surely has changed a lot................

Tabby
04-07-06, 09:17 PM
I cannot stand people in my face. It took all I had to bite my tongue and keep my freakin suck shut when I had a DI screaming in my face.

That and sharing a squad bay and one bathroom with 45 ****y, constantly pms-ing females. (I'm sure I wasn't much of a treat to be around a lot of the time either, but still.)

Oh, and the part of the stupid "O" Course where you have to chicken wing yourself over them damn bars. I'm short- 5'1" and the damn DI's would laugh at me trying to jump up there and grab a hold of them POS bar.

Future-USMC-LT
04-09-06, 08:22 PM
Dana - A BASEBALL GAME? Boy! The Corps surely has changed a lot................

Yes. I'm not sure when they started doing this. I was kinda suprised. From what it looked like, it was more about seeing how we would act with a little "freedom" out in public.

tflhndn
04-10-06, 12:01 AM
For me since I was older I had to deal with the attitudes of 18 & 19 year olds. Not all of them but there were several that just didn't get the point and refused to understand the "team" concept. But we all pulled through and the non-hackers went to K. Co.

Overall though I had a blast in boot camp, I didn't show it, but I had fun.

Future-USMC-LT
04-10-06, 11:39 AM
For me since I was older I had to deal with the attitudes of 18 & 19 year olds. Not all of them but there were several that just didn't get the point and refused to understand the "team" concept. But we all pulled through and the non-hackers went to K. Co.

Overall though I had a blast in boot camp, I didn't show it, but I had fun.

Some of the poolies will find this hard to believe right now, but for a week after I graduated, I actually missed boot camp.

tflhndn
04-10-06, 12:04 PM
For a couple days it was weird not having someone telling me what to do every minute, and having a ****er to myself

Lorix
04-10-06, 04:58 PM
Same here. I wish we could've went to a baseball game. One of the best days in boot camp was the 4th of July. Our Senior took us to the parade deck to watch fireworks and we even got a hot dog! It was great.

Tabby
04-11-06, 09:05 AM
Same here. I wish we could've went to a baseball game. One of the best days in boot camp was the 4th of July. Our Senior took us to the parade deck to watch fireworks and we even got a hot dog! It was great.

:scared: are you serious? i thought that the only platoon that got to do things like that was frp? or mrp, whatever. i guess i just had monster di's! lol

John Mayotte
04-11-06, 10:09 AM
I can honestly say I really don't remember any bad times during bootcamp, per se. Even the extra "thrashings" (yeah, I spent a few times "face on the deck") weren't all that difficult.

:flag: Semper Fi
John

Lorix
04-11-06, 11:54 AM
:scared: are you serious? i thought that the only platoon that got to do things like that was frp? or mrp, whatever. i guess i just had monster di's! lol
Actually I think all the platoons on the island were there last 4th of July. All I know is that was one of the best days of my life. It was right before I went on the range. I even got a big and juicy t-bone steak that day for lunch! The DI's were a little nicer to us that day, just a little. But the next day it was business as usual.

Marine84
04-11-06, 12:00 PM
T-bone for lunch? Damn they even feed ya'll better these days!

Wyoming
04-14-06, 02:10 PM
T-bone for lunch? Damn they even feed ya'll better these days!

Get over it, Kim in 'Lanter.

You know you'd rather some dark grass.:D

Incoming. Duck!! :banana:

Marine84
04-14-06, 02:53 PM
yeah big Al .....................right before that T bone so I could tear it up like a dog! And another one afterwards...............

Lorix
04-14-06, 06:06 PM
The chow was always pretty good, but there was some stuff not even a Drill Instructor would touch. But yes for 4th of July, special occasion, they feed us steak. As I was eating it, I knew the Drill Instructors would make us pay for it later, so I enjoyed it while I could.

Tobes03
04-15-06, 02:31 PM
For me I hated the countless hours drilling. I know it serves a purpose and all but I was never much of a driller nor did I like it very much. I've always considered myself a killer not a driller.

Wyoming
04-15-06, 02:44 PM
yeah big Al .....................right before that T bone so I could tear it up like a dog! And another one afterwards...............

Down Woman, down!!!

You be exciting me.:thumbup:

Wyoming
04-15-06, 02:52 PM
For me I hated the countless hours drilling. I know it serves a purpose and all but I was never much of a driller nor did I like it very much. I've always considered myself a killer not a driller.

I applaude your exuberance, BUT ...

Jeez, a killer not a driller. Gung-ho little cherries. Ended up burning ****ters and couldn't figure out why.

Do you really know the purpose? Was it so you would look pretty when your Mommy came on graduation.

Nope. Discipline. Obedience. Immediate obedience. No question asked. Right Face! You just did it. Left Face! The same.

Wake up Dorothy, you ain't in Kansas anymore.

Tobes03
04-15-06, 03:13 PM
Nope. Discipline. Obedience. Immediate obedience. No question asked. Right Face! You just did it. Left Face! The same.

No **** huh. lighten up bro I was obviously being half facisous (spelling?).

Wyoming
04-15-06, 03:46 PM
No **** huh. lighten up bro I was obviously being half facisous (spelling?).

Don't no **** me Bro. You obviously meant it when you posted again - http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=163756#post163756

For me the hardest part of bootcamp was the attention to detail. IE: the drilling, and whatnot. That and just being away from my friends and family.

GySgtRet
04-15-06, 04:17 PM
occations at recruit training. The first one was the Marine Corps Birthday. The Senior Drill Instructor showed up in his Dress Blues and came to to the squadbay just to see us terds. The second occation was Christmas we each got a Coke and cookies and got to watch TV. Yeah right we had to be postitoned on our stomachs resting on our elbows while thinking we were watching TV. On the 28th we graduated so this was a very small price to be on of the finest. I can honestly say that I didn't hate recruit training. I knew my direction no suprises as always I was prepared for whatever was dished out. I am glad that I was prepared. I just kept my mouth shut, my eyes open and did what I was told.

Big Jim
12-09-11, 12:24 AM
I always hated the whining weak azz girlie boys who wanted mama late at night and the sick bay commandos who tried to avoid training by lying thier way out of PT and everything else they could think of. Dam near all those guys were either recycled or kicked...out right. They always got us in trouble or sent to the pit causingf us all to get bugs all over us....and we cuoldn;t get rid of them for days!!! Idiots....stay home if they didn't wanna do anything...lazy sum biches...!!

bausmc87
12-09-11, 07:35 AM
Can't think of any real bad things. I enjoyed boot camp. Hard as hell with all the PT and drilling. For me worst part was the damn sand fleas. DI's used to say, you just ate let them.

bausmc87
12-09-11, 07:46 AM
Some of the poolies will find this hard to believe right now, but for a week after I graduated, I actually missed boot camp.

Funny thing hapened to me when I got home from the Island. I came to a Major snow storm and went around and saw a couple of my friends (got in late). Hit the rack that night and at 0400 the next morning, my dad (4 years USMC 1950-1954) came into my room and started yelling "get out of the rack" Get out of the rack, I sprang to my feet. Took a few seconds to realize that I was home. I never saw him laugh so hard. Semper FI Dad...

DudefromDiego
12-09-11, 09:21 AM
A brief phase during Phase II where my J-hat would sentence me to "Go Die" (get It'ed) right at 0500. Some days I would stilll be in skivvies. With crust in my eyes, off to the quarterdeck I went. Some days were pretty whatever, but some were truly merciless. Later, on Graduation, I was walking through the parking lot with my parents, and my J-hat ran into me (his truck was parked near our car) and he told me that it was nothing personal. Other than that, I didn't really hate boot camp. I accepted the fact that the fastest way out of the depot was to graduate, so I just kind of dealt with it. :yes:

Macgerailt
12-09-11, 10:11 AM
The "pit" right before chow. Had to carry a clean white tshirt in the cargo pocket so we were clean when we got there. Getting kicked in the face doing mountain climbers was always fun.

rufus1
12-09-11, 06:02 PM
Since I went in June 1970 I would say today what I hate now is that it ended. Of coarse all us old folks would like to travel back in time to those glorous days of becoming something that we knew nothing at the time how extensive that the Corps would be ingrained in our souls. Thank You Lord For Such A Blessing!!!!

acg8276
12-09-11, 06:04 PM
I would be ok if I never ran into another sand flea in my lifetime. Other than it was a great experience. Mountain climbers and all.......

MOS4429
02-02-12, 07:02 PM
Reveille.
:mad:

Actually, those couple seconds just before when you heard that "pop...shhhhhhhhhhhhh" and you think, Oh, crap...here we go....

BaseCommCLNCdaw
02-02-12, 10:42 PM
What comes to mind was the f***-ups that got the whole platoon punished. For instance, when we were in the showers and the DI says "I hear chatter in there girls" and some dope says "shut up" getting us 20 push-ups in a crowded shower, with this happening several times over before everybody finally got the message. But it was good for us.

acg8276
02-02-12, 10:45 PM
Firewatch and sand fleas.

BaseCommCLNCdaw
02-03-12, 04:45 PM
Firewatch and sand fleas.
Your mentioning firewatch reminded me that I never stood it in boot. Instead we served mess duty at the range at Camp Mathews. We messmen got back to the platoon tent at about 2200, and were up again at 0300. Since we were gone so long each day. all the light bulbs from our tents were taken by other platoons in the area, so except for the mess hall we spent a week in darkness. I truly hated mess duty at the RR.

I worked scullery/dishwasher, potato peeling, sandwiches for watch standers, and salads. Could that have only been a weeK? It seemed more like two!

robbyj
02-03-12, 05:17 PM
Kill hat is what I hated, he found out what I despised him doing to me, and he did it alot after that, my ears/nose will never be the same.

ChrrySkoal
02-03-12, 10:38 PM
VGE clean up... Basiclly its an illness when you puke and just about everyone within a 20ft radius gets it...I was volun-told to clean it up everytime chunks flew, I never got sick ither oorah.

Omegaham
02-03-12, 10:51 PM
Oh, and the part of the stupid "O" Course where you have to chicken wing yourself over them damn bars. I'm short- 5'1" and the damn DI's would laugh at me trying to jump up there and grab a hold of them POS bar.

Plyometrics. You need them. I'm pretty sure that the bar is about six and a half feet off the ground; you should be able to get a foot and a half of height, even in boots. There are exercises to increase your jumping power.

On-topic: The games. Hi, I'm Recruit Omegaham. I'm here to train to become a Marine. Why are you wasting my time and yours making us take our underwear off and put it back on three dozen times?

I have no problem doing physical punishment. One guy screws up? Make us push. That's fine; it has a purpose. You're embarrassing one guy (thus ensuring he'll pay more attention next time) and making everyone stronger. But the dumb stuff, like the aforementioned MCRD Striptease, is just retarded.