PDA

View Full Version : Hardest part of Boot Camp

111martinsen
04-01-06, 09:14 PM
At the moment I am in the DEP program until I ship 20060508. I was just wondering what I should be doing to prepare myself that I haven't been doing. Also I was wondering what the hardest part of Boot Camp is so I can be ready and alert. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Recruit Martinsen:tank:

outlaw3179
04-02-06, 06:53 AM
Run..if your a good runner now youll be ok. I was decent so I didnt have too hard of time. Other than that its all mental so there really isnt much you can do to prepare yourself. Theres nothing like Marine Corps boot camp that you can do to get your self better ready. The only thing I would say is stay out of trouble and spend time with your family. Do alot of rack PT also :)

John Mayotte
04-02-06, 07:33 AM
I dont think working on push-ups and pull-ups would hurt either. :flag:

John Mayotte
04-02-06, 07:51 AM
I think the hardest part was when I first got to bootcamp...the
sudden and swift change from civvie life to the Marine Corps life.
After I adjusted, it became so much better.:thumbup:

ssgtt32
04-02-06, 10:37 AM
just remember, that bootcamp is 90% mental and 10% physical, and you will be ok

111martinsen
04-02-06, 02:31 PM
thanks to everyone that took the time and gave me their input.

Old Marine
04-03-06, 09:39 AM
Keeping you mouth shut and eyes and ears open.

Lorix
04-03-06, 09:55 AM
The Drill Instructors! Too bad you don't get to experience the rath of the female Drill Instructors, whoo doggie.... once you get yelled at by a female DI, the male ones don't seem so bad, ask anyone who has been yell at by a female DI. There like very aggressive devildogs (no pun intended), they're rip you apart in a matter of seconds. They can smell a recruit a mile away. I suggest a mix of blood hound and a pit bull. Good luck, they'll chase you up a fence!

jgorosco
04-03-06, 10:38 AM
You might want to practice on holding your breath for at least 3 minutes. This will help in the Gas Chamber. Also try and be the 1st one in. Cause you will be the 1st one out. Yeah right!!

John Mayotte
04-03-06, 12:43 PM
You might want to practice on holding your breath for at least 3 minutes. This will help in the Gas Chamber. Also try and be the 1st one in. Cause you will be the 1st one out. Yeah right!!

I remember there was a recruit who held his breath in the gas chamber, who
was in front of me, which made it worse for me, since the DI wouldn't let him
leave until he had to breath!:marine:

111martinsen
04-03-06, 02:01 PM
so why would i have to hold my breath in the gas chamber if i have a gas mask on?

jgorosco
04-03-06, 02:15 PM
He have to take the mask off in the gas chamber. Plus holding your breath was a joke. You will have to inhale in there. Also being 1st in was a joke to. Just be mentally tough and laugh off the stress when you can and enjoy the experience you will be going through.

John Mayotte
04-03-06, 02:16 PM
They had us take our masks off and walk around the chamber before they
let us exit.

:flag: John.

Marine84
04-03-06, 03:29 PM
Hardest thing for me was calling a bathroom a head - where I come from head is something WAY different than a bathroom.

Marine84
04-03-06, 03:32 PM
and 111martinsen - I'm rolling on the floor over that one. Did you REALLY think the gas chamber would be THAT easy? You don't just test the masks honey! You may even get a DI that's REALLY sadistic and make you do jumping jacks while you're in there with no mask on. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Marine84
04-04-06, 02:51 PM
Another hard thing for me was holding my feet at that 45 degree angle - I'm pigeon toed so it was hard for me to get used to doing it.

Running with combat boots on.................

Shooting - again the pigeon toed thing - it was hard to turn both feet outwards when prone AND trying to put my elbow in my gut to shoot standing (boobs got in the way)..................

Biting my tongue to keep from telling a DI to get bent her damned self.............

John Mayotte
04-04-06, 06:12 PM
Marine84;

Forgot about the boots...and the great "nature hikes" ;) wearing them. (I am flat-footed, no arches). Still completed all of them, though.

111martinsen
04-05-06, 04:29 PM
haha alright. I will be ready for those good ol' nature hikes.

usmchauer
04-05-06, 04:39 PM
I remember the same question being asked by one of my Drill Instructors near graduation. My response was "Recieving Sir". He obviously was dumbfounded. The first couple of days were the most grueling for me. If you make it through boot camp, you will soon find out that recruit training is not the hardest thing you will do while in the Marine Corps. Will you hate your life and wanna puke your guts out in Marine Corps boot camp? Probably, but it won't be the most difficult challenge you'll be faced with. Good Luck.

Tabby
04-07-06, 09:10 PM
the entire phase I. you're still learning how to work as a team and even the most trivial task never seems to be accomplished without a di in your face. the end of phase I beginning of phase II is when you'll be totally into your training and will be able to get your stuff done.
as long as you pay attention during your instruction period, when they're explaining what you need to do and how you need to do it, you'll be fine- it won't be easy, but it will be easier.
the classes were the hardest for me b/c you're sitting in those chairs and it's a pain in the neck not to fall asleep while they're talking.

Lorix
04-09-06, 05:25 PM
I remember the same question being asked by one of my Drill Instructors near graduation. My response was "Recieving Sir". He obviously was dumbfounded. The first couple of days were the most grueling for me. If you make it through boot camp, you will soon find out that recruit training is not the hardest thing you will do while in the Marine Corps. Will you hate your life and wanna puke your guts out in Marine Corps boot camp? Probably, but it won't be the most difficult challenge you'll be faced with. Good Luck.
I was told that by a few Marines and even my Drill Instructors, the hardest part of the Marines is not boot camp, it's the fleet. I thought they were all on crack when I went through, how could the fleet be harder than this? I was on the quarter-deck almost every day, sometimes more than once a day. I was the one always in trouble for something, most times I didn't even know why I was getting yelled at, I didn't know what I did wrong. Going through it, it was the hardest thing I had ever done. Now that I'm in the fleet, I look back and realize it wasn't that bad. I've done harder after boot. It really wasn't that bad. Given the opportunity, I would gladly go through boot camp all over again.

yellowwing
04-09-06, 06:06 PM
The hardest part was that it really felt like another world.

High school was great. Borrowing Dad's car, trying to score with the girls, hanging out and drinking beer with my buddies. Then going home to see what Mom cooked for supper.

Then suddenly experiencing Hell for three months.

Tabby
04-09-06, 06:36 PM
you know what's really wierd? i knew there were birds and stuff there, but i never heard them sing until the day i had graduated. not once did i notice birds singing or crickets chirping....

Wyoming
04-10-06, 08:47 AM

... I was on the quarter-deck almost every day, sometimes more than once a day. I was the one always in trouble for something, most times I didn't even know why I was getting yelled at, I didn't know what I did wrong ...
Yup, I can understand that you were.

... Given the opportunity, I would gladly go through boot camp all over again ...
Really?

John Mayotte
04-10-06, 09:06 AM
The hardest part was that it really felt like another world.

High school was great. Borrowing Dad's car, trying to score with the girls, hanging out and drinking beer with my buddies. Then going home to see what Mom cooked for supper.

Then suddenly experiencing Hell for three months.

couldn't agree with you more, Corporal

Semper Fi :flag:

John Mayotte
04-10-06, 09:11 AM
you know what's really wierd? i knew there were birds and stuff there, but i never heard them sing until the day i had graduated. not once did i notice birds singing or crickets chirping....

I don't think I really focused on birds during graduation. I was to proud about
finally earning the EGA :marine:

Lorix
04-10-06, 09:33 AM
I would definately go back given the chance! It surprised me keeping in contact with most from my platoon, I asked around seeing who would go back through boot camp all over again just for the fun of it... Turns out all those who skated through boot seem to all have the same reply, "Hell NO!", and those who were always in trouble for something and always on the quarter-deck are the one's that said, "in a heartbeat". I'm not sure why I want to go back, I just want to. Boot camp was hard, but I would gladly get back on that bus and ship out to Parris Island all over again.

Tabby
04-10-06, 10:39 AM
I would definately go back given the chance! It surprised me keeping in contact with most from my platoon, I asked around seeing who would go back through boot camp all over again just for the fun of it... Turns out all those who skated through boot seem to all have the same reply, "Hell NO!", and those who were always in trouble for something and always on the quarter-deck are the one's that said, "in a heartbeat". I'm not sure why I want to go back, I just want to. Boot camp was hard, but I would gladly get back on that bus and ship out to Parris Island all over again.

i have to agree with you

hrscowboy
04-10-06, 02:33 PM
I used to like them arse whoopings we would get 3 to 4 times a day, Used to go to sleep and dream about them for the next morning. And Low and behold it all started again at 4:00 am. Those where the good ole days..

hrscowboy
04-10-06, 05:10 PM
Parris Island OMG PFC lorix no wonder your ranting,raving, if you had went to the real MCRD you wouldnt be doing it...

Lorix
04-10-06, 05:16 PM
Parris Island is the REAL MCRD. Out there on an ISOLATED island with no planes and cars driving by, no McDonalds, etc. Just us and the sand fleas. Real Marines come from Parris Island, not some civilized terrain with freeways and such.

tflhndn
04-10-06, 07:52 PM
Parris Island is the REAL MCRD. Out there on an ISOLATED island with no planes and cars driving by, no McDonalds, etc. Just us and the sand fleas. Real Marines come from Parris Island, not some civilized terrain with freeways and such.

A real Marine would see both ends of the courntry are Marines.

John Mayotte
04-10-06, 08:08 PM

I don't ever remember my DI's ever taking my platoon out to McDonalds:)

Tobes03
04-15-06, 02:56 PM
For me the hardest part of bootcamp was the attention to detail. IE: the drilling, and whatnot. That and just being away from my friends and family.

carroll1972
04-16-06, 02:30 AM
ALWAYS STRIVE TO DO / BE THE VERY BEST IN EVERY THING YOU DO.....YOU WILL LOOK BACK YEARS FROM NOW...AND THINK......I DID MY BEST.....

Had I known that when I was a boot......no telling where I'd be today......

Not so Lean.....but still a Marine.....
Carroll Sgt. 1972 - 1975

CAPMarine1968
04-16-06, 09:22 AM
Unless it has changed a lot since 1966, they will try and break every recruit individually at least once. Mine came when the combination lock that locked my rifle to my rack was changed by "others".
:confused:
Although I realized it was not my lock, I couldn't see where I would derive any relief from a, "Sir!, that is not the Private's lock on the Private's Rifle, Sir!"
PT'ing under a cold shower for what seemed like a lifetime was my only answer.

Be ready for it....and except it!

Lorix
04-16-06, 12:52 PM
Unless it has changed a lot since 1966, they will try and break every recruit individually at least once. Mine came when the combination lock that locked my rifle to my rack was changed by "others".
:confused:
Although I realized it was not my lock, I couldn't see where I would derive any relief from a, "Sir!, that is not the Private's lock on the Private's Rifle, Sir!"
PT'ing under a cold shower for what seemed like a lifetime was my only answer.

Be ready for it....and except it!
Well, little has changed, now instead of "this private", it's "this recruit". None of us have any rank, we are an E-0, we are nothing.

CAPMarine1968
04-16-06, 01:21 PM
Well, little has changed, now instead of "this private", it's "this recruit". None of us have any rank, we are an E-0, we are nothing.
I stand corrected, it was "recruit" and not "private" in 66 also......I think.

Lorix
04-16-06, 04:08 PM
You might be right, in Full Metal Jacket, the Vietnam era recruit training, they say "this private".

111martinsen
04-16-06, 08:04 PM
Yeah. I have been told that I will be saying 'Recruit' rather than 'Private'.

csilva
04-27-06, 10:12 PM
i graduated company honor grad, so i guess i was a brown nose in boot. but holding my bearing was pretty tough, drill instructors are pretty hilarious at times, but once you loose your bearing, your gonna allow the drill instructors to play with you in the sand box, or quarterdeck. other than that, just stay focused on what you want to be and what your about to become. try to keep busy at night so you wont miss home as much also. Good Luck

Old Marine
04-28-06, 09:09 AM
I stand corrected, it was "recruit" and not "private" in 66 also......I think.

Wrong Answer....

It was T**D in 1966.

My T**d's always had to remove their gas mask's and sing the Marine Corps Hymn.

jinelson
04-28-06, 02:09 PM
I remember both in 1967 very well. Back then we did the sir sandwich as well.

"Sir the private was instructed but does not remember because the private is a t**d Sir"

hmmm thats when Old Marine was on the drill field.

Marine84
04-28-06, 03:19 PM
OK...........somebody clue me in. PM me and tell me the word that's being censored please?!?!?!?!

Wyoming
04-28-06, 03:32 PM
Jeez, Kimberly, its 'turd', like poo-poo, or sheeit, or ca-ca.:D

Are all broads in Lanter ditzy or is it just the BAMs?:banana:

Oh, yeah, your PM thingy is having PMS and is over-quota.

Lorix
04-28-06, 03:46 PM
Hey, I knew that, didn't need any help understanding that word. Don't dog us all.

Wyoming
04-28-06, 03:51 PM
Hey, I knew that, didn't need any help understanding that word. Don't dog us all.

Read it again Lorix and get your panties unwadded.

I was replying to Kimberly, who IS from Atlanta (Lanter) and who IS quite proud to be a Woman Marine, aka, BAM.

CAPMarine1968
04-28-06, 03:54 PM
Wrong Answer....

It was T**D in 1966.

My T**d's always had to remove their gas mask's and sing the Marine Corps Hymn.

If I am not mistaken it is officialy the "Marine's Hymn" rather than the "Marine Corps Hymn" Let's hear from the historians......
:iwo:

Marine84
04-28-06, 04:15 PM
OH! DUH! OK.........you guys censored yourself - I'm with ya now.

And, yes, I am dammmmm proud to be a WM AND a proud member (lifetime, of course) of the WOMEN MARINES ASSOCIATION (National AND local chapters) and I AM a BAM cause my A$$ IS broad!

OOH - F_____G - RAH!

Lorix
04-28-06, 08:15 PM
Some women Marines don't seem to mind going by the name BAM, but try calling me that and you'll sure wish you had a jockstrap on.

rktect3j
04-29-06, 04:41 AM
The term BAM probably needs to go the way of the Dodo. I am sure there are some Marines who don't really care about the term but it is derogatory. And it is not a part of my Corps. It's old and outdated. Why use it? I liken it to other terms people don't use as much anymore such as the N word which all people used 50-75 years ago. Sure today some black people still use it in refernece to each other. They aren't helping themselves in any way though. Hell, some non black people are still trying to use it, more and more unsuccessfully. Why not give it up already? If I am going to put you down or rag on you for something it wont be for something as shallow as your race, gender, or religion. Most people, if given the opportunity within 5 minutes of opening up their pie hole, will give you plenty of ammunition.

Wyoming
04-29-06, 07:24 AM
Some women Marines don't seem to mind going by the name BAM, but try calling me that and you'll sure wish you had a jockstrap on.

Surely, please say it's ain't so, sweet little Lorix, please say you weren't directing this jockstrap comment to me.

Old Marine
04-29-06, 09:07 AM
Surely, please say it's ain't so, sweet little Lorix, please say you weren't directing this jockstrap comment to me.

Lorix probably has never laid her eyes on a real jockstrap. (unless she is the jockstrap queen)

Wyoming
04-29-06, 09:17 AM
Lorix probably has never laid her eyes on a real jockstrap. (unless she is the jockstrap queen)

Willie, I've wondered the same thing and methinks you hit the nail pretty close to the head.

Hocker
04-29-06, 10:28 AM
[quote=Lorix]Some women Marines don't seem to mind going by the name BAM, but try calling me that and you'll sure wish you had a jockstrap on.[/quote

Hey Lorix , Sempir Fi BAM !

By the way I always go commando.:no: :banana: :no:

Lorix
04-29-06, 10:56 AM
:devious: Can you please tell me where you live so I can come visit and pay my.... respects to you?

jinelson
04-29-06, 01:27 PM
Ok knock it off this forum is for Poolees and Wannabes to get advice from Marines not for Marines to attack each other! Do I need to say more?

Lorix
04-29-06, 03:33 PM
Sorry Jim.... I will back off now. :nerd:

Lorix
04-29-06, 03:36 PM
If I may suggest, could you increase the volume of similies, they have all be used and now are dull. The chat room has a better variety of smilies, why don't the forums? ;)

Hocker
04-29-06, 10:12 PM
If I may suggest, could you increase the volume of similies, they have all be used and now are dull. The chat room has a better variety of smilies, why don't the forums? ;)
ROFL:banana:

David Jameson
12-20-06, 08:21 AM
Yeah that cracked me this morning

usmchauer
12-20-06, 10:11 AM
Receiving!

Camper51
12-20-06, 11:02 AM
Gotta agree with receiving. That first bit of "Oh, SH*T" what did I get myself into, along with a major pucker factor, was the toughest.

Once I realized all I needed to do to get through boot camp was to "shaddup n lissenup" it was all not so bad...

The1stSgt
12-20-06, 01:28 PM
The correct answer to an earlier question is, "The Marines' Hymn".

The1stSgt
12-20-06, 01:32 PM
The

The1stSgt
12-20-06, 02:15 PM
The hardest part of boot camp is being "pushed" beyond you perceived physical and psycholocial limits.

Before boot camp, most recruits have never been pushed hard and have no idea what their physical and/or psychological limits are. Drill Instructors are expert in help you find this out about yourself.

You can do much more than you think you can. All one needs is a Drill Instructor's boot in his ass to provide the necessary incentive to produce "maxium output".

After you have been pushed hard a few times and find out you can do it....you begin to love the challenge of being pushed, tried, tested, just to see if you can take it. It hardens you and tempers you, bringing out hidden strengths, and it makes you confident and proud.

You might end up saying something like, "Oooorah, I love this sh!t".

danielgburgett
12-20-06, 11:04 PM
At the moment I am in the DEP program until I ship 20060508. I was just wondering what I should be doing to prepare myself that I haven't been doing. Also I was wondering what the hardest part of Boot Camp is so I can be ready and alert. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Recruit Martinsen:tank:make sure you are doing everything possible to get in shape physically and mentally,give 110% and you will make it, good luck and semper fi