PDA

View Full Version : Military-based program teaching mini Marines

thedrifter
03-31-06, 07:16 AM
Military-based program teaching mini Marines
KATHY HANKS
The Hutchinson News

HUTCHINSON, Kan. - The staff sergeant stood at the front of the room, affixed his best poker face and bellowed orders.

"Engelbrecht, what did I tell you to do?" Staff Sgt. Kenny Pearson, 18, demanded of a boy who didn't appear to be following directions.

Pearson had told the new recruits of the Salty Dawg Young Marines to put their canteens down by the wall, pick up their guidebooks and get back into formation.

Avoiding eye contact, Joseph Engelbrecht, 15, admitted he thought he was supposed to leave both the guidebook and canteen at the wall.

"Sir, I did the same thing, Sir," another recruit confessed.

The micro-soldiers stood at rigid attention - some dressed in camouflage gear, with the recruits wearing red sweat pants and yellow T-shirts. They were practicing formations as part of the weekly unit meeting at Grandview School. The Hutchinson unit is part of the Young Marines of the Marines Corps League, which has units in most states across the U.S.

On a recent Tuesday night, the tiniest female in the unit, 8-year-old Brandelein Soergel, of Newton, was promoted in rank from private first class to lance corporal.

"If you study, it's not hard," Brandelein said about her promotion, which was earned by studying such things as the history of the organization and patriotic trivia.

Joining the group provides not only sociability, but also lessons in discipline and respect, Brandelein said. A bonus is the time she spends together with her dad, a former Marine.

"Wearing the uniform makes me feel special," she said. "I feel like my dad must have felt like."

Adult volunteers such as Hutchinson Police Sgt. Steve Stowers lead the local unit.

Stowers, a former Marine, is the current commanding officer and helps the youth between the ages of 8 and 18 learn things like leadership, self-respect and manners. He in turn permits the youth to take leadership roles when they are able.

One thing the group isn't is a recruitment tool for the Marines, Stowers said. However, it's an organization much like 4-H and Boy and Girl Scouts. Members of the unit can qualify for ribbons through conservation and outdoor life projects.

The exception is this group seems more like boot camp.

"We don't teach the tactics of warfare," Stowers said. "We do have a marksman class similar to hunter safety school, but we don't teach them how to storm a machine gun pit."

As Pearson leads the unit in the front of the room, the troops' parents sit in the back, looking over paperwork. Teachers and parents must sign weekly progress reports attesting to the members' behavior.

"It's absolutely important to support him," Crystal Pearson said about attending the meetings with her son. "It's our connection."

Even with her son so immersed in the unit, gangs and drugs are still a lurking threat.

"Every parent should be worried about their children and the choices they make," she said. "But I see the respect he has for Young Marines. This keeps him very active."

First Sgt. Tyleigha Kane, 13, of Bentley, has hopes of someday becoming a colonel in the military. However, that will come after fulfilling another dream - attending West Point Military Academy.

The rainbow of ribbons on her chest, though, could fool a civilian into thinking she's already there.

Ellie

thedrifter
04-01-06, 10:33 AM
Buena Jr. ROTC orienteering teams in top 10
BY BRUCE BOURQUIN

HERALD/REVIEW

SIERRA VISTA — One would think that being located five miles from Fort Huachuca gives the Buena High School Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps orienteeing team an

advantage.

“No, not really,” said retired U.S. Army Sergeant Major Dennis Torres, the team instructor. “In a way, it’s going against our advantage. Because it’s hills and valleys over there. Here, everything’s flat.”

The flat desert terrain behind the Buena campus puts the team at a disadvantage, compared to the huge hills and valleys at Lake Pleasant Regional Park in Phoenix, where the team competes.

Despite these obstacles, two 2-man Buena Jr. ROTC orienteering teams recently placed among the top 10 at competitions in Phoenix. Using a map, a compass and teamwork, they succeeded in their challenges. Buena competed against Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines Jr. ROTC teams.

On March 4, Cadet Cpl. Jeremy Kinder and Cadet Corp. Robert Romej finished fourth out of 91 teams, including other two-man teams who competed for Buena. The pair found 14 orange-and-white cloth markers, clipped to objects like a bush or a tree, in any order they wanted to find them.

“We helped each other out,” said Romej, a freshman. “We listened to each other. We planned it out, set a route.”

The other two who earned an honor were Cadet Corps member Nick Ossorgin and Cadet Corps member Nick Andruszka, both Buena High seniors. On Feb. 11, while competing on the championship course, they finished ninth out of 212 teams.

“We had to find different points in order,” Ossorgin said. “We found five out of 12 points. I like to take on hills, he likes to go around them.”

The team competes in four meets from November to March.

It finished this season with 32 members. The team practiced twice per week, 2 1/2 hours per day, on its practice course one mile from campus.

At each meet, they had two hours to find as many markers as they can. They numbered between 20 to 40 and were located 200 to 600 meters from each other.

“They get to choose their own partners,” team captain Cadet Corp. Ashley Fellers said. “It can be physically demanding, because of all the hills. It teaches teamwork. You have to be able to find some land features, if you can’t follow your compass.”

Ellie

thedrifter
04-02-06, 09:06 AM
Young Marines program the right fit for girl
By MARY PICKETT
Of The Gazette Staff

Katelyn Donaldson admits that being shouted at by a drill instructor when she became a Young Marine recruit was unsettling.

"That first night, they yelled a lot and made me shake a little," she said.

The bright-eyed 10-year-old persevered through those few moments of distress and now isn't fazed by a shout or two in her direction.

"It's easier than the first couple of weeks," she said.

The Alkali Creek Elementary fourth-grader recently graduated with 33 other kids from the Billings Young Marine boot camp after 13 weeks of a scaled-down version of what real Marines experience.

The recruits were the second group to go through boot camp at the Armed Forces Reserve Center since the Young Marines was organized in Billings last year.

After they complete boot camp, participants earn the right to wear a camouflage uniform and join other Young Marines at their weekly meetings.

Led by career U.S. Marines and parent volunteers, the group plans another boot camp late this summer.

Starting in early February, Katelyn and fellow recruits dressed in regulation white T-shirts and blue jeans and gathered every Wednesday evening to learned how to drill, do calisthenics and respond with a loud "Yes sir" or "No sir" when addressed by their drill instructor.

They even learned how to talk like real Marines, addressing each other by their last names and calling a door a "hatch" and a hat a "cover." By mid-March, marching almost had become second nature.

"At first it was kind of hard to learn, but now it's kind of easy," Katelyn said.

She joined the other recruits marching as a unit in a chilly St. Patrick's Day Parade through downtown Billings.

Active in soccer, softball, gymnastics and dance, Katelyn was no coach potato before she started boot camp. But she has noticed that the weekly round of push ups and jumping jacks took her up a notch in fitness.

"It seems like I'm a little stronger," she said.

She completed a 5-mile run to raise money to buy her uniform, although she had sore muscles the next day.

She likes making new friends and enjoyed team-building exercises in which kids worked together to complete a task.

Because no members of her immediate family had been in the military, Katelyn's mother, Julie, was surprised when her daughter wanted to join the youth group. When Julie learned that the organization promoted physical activity and discouraged drug use, she gave her daughter the OK.

Katelyn is a good student and received straight A's on her last report card.

Some day, she'd like to be a veterinarian.

"I love animals, and they love me," she said.

Along with her parents and sisters, Kendra and Kelcie, Katelyn shares her home with a fish, three guinea pigs and a Siberian husky.

Katelyn constantly talks about what she's done at Young Marines, said her dad, Steve.

"It's a heck of a program," he said. "It's a good opportunity to do some different stuff."

During boot camp, Katelyn and the other recruits watched the movie "Major Payne," a comedy about a hard-bitten Marine who takes a job commanding a high-school Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program.

That whetted Katelyn's appetite for more Marine movies, including a darker film about Marines during Desert Storm.

"I want to see 'Jarhead,' " she said.

Contact Mary Pickett at mpickett@billingsgazette.com or 657-1262.

Ellie

LivinSoFree
04-12-06, 04:10 AM
I've been working with a Young Marine unit for about 9 months now, and it's been a highly rewarding way to spend some of my off-time. It keeps me in that Marine mindset when it might slip, and both the kids and I get a lot out of it. Check them out here...

http://capcityyoungmarines.org

jinelson
04-12-06, 04:35 AM
Meyer thanks brother for your contibution to the Corps of the future and America of today. Dang Meyer it seems like you were just a Poolee here and now you are out there making me proud. Drill Instructor!, I bet you have fun yourself. By the way your units site is already listed in our links area.

Semper Fi

Jim