PDA

View Full Version : PICTURES OF THE YEAR (tear Jerker)

Ed Palmer
03-30-06, 07:12 AM
Here are two pictures that were awarded first and second place at the picture of the year international this year. Very very touching photos.
First Place

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/cid_016b01c653aa99326400d3286744you.jpg

First Place
Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News
When 2nd Lt. James Cathey's body arrived at the Reno Airport, Marines climbed into the cargo hold of the plane and draped the flag over his casket as passengers watched the family gather on the tarmac. During the arrival of another Marine's casket last year at Denver International Airport, Major Steve Beck described the scene as one of the most powerful in the process: "See the people in the windows? They'll sit right there in the plane, watching those Marines. You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing that they're on the plane that brought him home," he said. "They're going to remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home. And they should."

Second Place

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/cid_016c01c653aa99326400d3286744you.jpg

Second Place
Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News
The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you! kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

GySgtRet
03-30-06, 07:45 AM
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this says a hole lot more than protestors could ever say.

Ed you are correct this is a real tear generator. Thank you...!!!

yellowwing
03-30-06, 08:28 AM
Both pictures speak volumns on what Marines do for each other. Semper Fidelis ~ Always Faithful :usmc:

Wyoming
03-30-06, 08:57 AM

ED, that is a very powerful presentation. Thanks.

:iwo:

Osotogary
03-30-06, 09:05 AM
The longer you look at these photographs, the longer the silence seems.
Thank you, Ed.

OLE SARG
03-30-06, 09:59 AM
Amen on the very touching photographs!!!! They definitely make you pause and reflect on your loved ones serving our Country.

Thanks Ed (Sorry I missed you at the VA the other day - next time your coming in to KC let me know ahead of time and I'll buy your lunch.)

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

CplCrotty
03-30-06, 10:26 AM
This series of articles that ran last year in the Rocky Mountain News is one of the few remaining examples of excellence when it comes to photo journalism. The photographer's respect for the subject is quite obvious while at the same time communicating visually what can not often be put in words. Great job Todd Heisler, and thank you for honoring our Marines.

rb1651
03-30-06, 10:57 AM
Outstanding pictures, Ed. Thanks for sharing. And as CplCrotty said, Thank you Todd Heisler for your powerful pictures.

lovdog
03-30-06, 11:58 AM
For the ones that give their life, there are the loved ones that are left behind that suffer with the loss for the rest of their days and some never do recover from their grief. So many fathers, mothers, siblings, sons & daughters and relatives have been shattered emotionally by this war. Perhaps if our leadership in Washington looked at these pictures on a daily basis it would finally sink in that there has to be something done to end these tragedies.
When I was in, we made it a point to try to protect those Marines that were married and had families - the ones that were single would take the brunt of the dangerous duties if possible - I hope its still that way. Good job Ed. SF

criggleman
03-30-06, 12:03 PM
All choked up, Thank God for these Men, who stand up on the front lines.
Semper Fi. And THANKS

ggyoung
03-30-06, 12:34 PM
Lovedog.......My Marine son said this still holds true. He has 1 tore in Iraq and a one more coming up. My Navy son who is on the Abe Lincoln for his 2ed tour on her was at Honkong when the big wave hit on 26Dec2005 they went on relef(sp) they would not let married people off the ship. Please don't mind my spelling.

Marine84
03-30-06, 01:11 PM
WOW! AWESOME! Brought back a 37 year old memory for me..................

Christina S
03-30-06, 06:38 PM
The picture of the wife next her husband is so sad. My heart goes out to her.

FistFu68
03-30-06, 06:51 PM
:flag: THIS IS WHAT,IT'S REALLY ALL ABOUT! WHERE THE STAR'S AND STRIPE'S AND THE EAGLE,FLIE'S.......ALL GAVE SOME,SOME GAVE ALL!

Arlene Horton
03-30-06, 07:56 PM
:iwo: :flag: Those two pictures brought tears to my eyes. They reminded me of my lost friends from the Korean "police action" as well as 'Nam. Thank you for the posting, Ed. Made me even more, if possible, proud to be a Marine. Semper Fi

SarahByrd
03-31-06, 02:34 PM
A wife's place is always by her husband......to the very end. What a wonderful tribute to Lt Cathey, the Corps he loved and the woman who loved him.

mpwildes
03-31-06, 08:51 PM
Here is the whole story on these pictures. Probabaly the most touching thing you will ever see.

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/news/finalSalute/

carroll1972
04-01-06, 05:23 AM
How can anyone ...top this.......it's AWESOME......for me....
It just does something deep within me and puts a lump in my throat..........My heart goes out to those fallen Marines.....(all branches)....that would give their all .......
I'm still proud......to be called a Marine....
God Bless......

carroll1972
04-01-06, 05:33 AM
What love for one's country that they'd give their life for....
What love for one's husband that a woman like this, would want to spend the last few hours with the man that she loved so much.....

Opened my eyes and my heart ..........
Thanks guys for these pictures.......God Bless...

GySgtRet
04-01-06, 07:28 AM
Thank you very much for bringing this to all of us. My eyes keep leaking and a lump in my throat won't go away.

charlie222
04-01-06, 08:05 AM
So sad, but this has some comfort to it. Charlie222.

rick taylor
04-03-06, 06:26 AM
Damn I LOve this CORP and what it stands for. FREEDOM.

tommyboy
04-03-06, 06:27 PM
thanks for posting those pics ed...they speak volumes

lscarranza
04-04-06, 01:21 AM
4 April,2006 2330 Hrs
I'm Lost For Words Ed.... The Pics Say So Much.... I'm Very Much Touched By This....
Thank You
Respectfully
L.s. Carranza
Red Patch Gang 1975...

scottposti
04-04-06, 06:11 AM
Thanks for posting these. :thumbup:

Ssgt Rodriguez
04-05-06, 12:07 AM
Thank you for posting these pictures. These pictures speak louder than any words I can post. Im in a total loss for words. My heart goes out to the families of our fallen Marines.

Ssgt Rodriguez
04-05-06, 12:29 AM
I just read the whole story thanks to the link provided by Sgt Wildes. If the picture makes your eyes leak, the whole story will make them flood.

outlaw3179
04-05-06, 01:06 AM
Sgt. Wildes, thank you very much for that link.

mpwildes
04-05-06, 11:17 PM
Here is another tribute for a Marine Cpl who paid the Ultimate sacrafice for his country. Probably the best video I have ever seen. 2 different links to the same video. Tell me what you think.

http://www.bobbywarns.com/Bobby.wmv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Bef3w-eIA

Ssgt Rodriguez
04-05-06, 11:49 PM
Beautiful tribute. Im at a loss for words.

Mama
04-06-06, 02:52 AM
Speechless & tearful...

GySgtRet
04-06-06, 05:58 AM
Thank you for finding this tribute of Cpl Warns. I had heard about it but had not seen it yet. Damn powerfull. I work outside the front gate at Quantico in Dumfries Virginia at Jacobs-Sverdrup Technolgies. On Tuesday the 4th of April we had our conference center dedicated to Cpl Brett Lundstrom. Cpl Lundstrom's father is a retired Major (mustang). Cpl Lunstrom was killed in Iraq in January by small arms fire. To be in the presents of a family when a memorial is dedicated was way beyond my comprehension till this past Tuesday.

Rest in Peace

bugs
04-06-06, 06:57 AM
No words can describe the feelings I have in my throat and stomach.......
Thanks for the post......

God Bless......

Taz97
04-06-06, 07:12 AM
Semper Fi!

Arlene Horton
04-06-06, 04:40 PM
:cry: That one really hurt...I still remember seeing the original on local TV and I still feel the tightness in my chest at the loss of another brave Marine. As a mother whose sons both served I can relate to their loss, knowing how I would feel if that was one of my sons or daughters. :iwo: :flag: Semper Fi, Cpl Warnes and may God bless your family.

rb1651
04-06-06, 07:32 PM
Damn, my eyes won't quit leaking. Thanks Sgt. Wildes, and again to you, for providing us with this. The sacrifices these fine Marines made for us makes me that much prouder to carry the title of Marine. Rest in Peace, my Brothers. I look forward to the day that I can meet you at the gates.

Woffski
04-16-06, 08:50 PM
Thank God for the brave young Marines of this country!!! Rest in peace, my friend. Semper Fi!!!!:flag:

Camper51
04-17-06, 10:15 AM
What beautiful tributes to our fallen brothers. Dang leaky eyes anyway...

Semper FI
God Bless

usmcdanno
04-20-06, 10:38 PM
Unbelievable. Please wake up America!

Camper51
04-21-06, 10:27 AM
Just an FYI. The writer and photographer of Final Salute won Pulitzer prizes for this wonderful work.

BOOGIEMAN44
04-21-06, 10:42 AM
The writer and photographer of Final Salute won Pulitzer prizes for this wonderful work.

WHAT A GREAT JOB WRITING THIS STORY FOR OTHERS TO READ, VERY POWERFUL AND VERY MOVING, WE AS MARINES, DO BELONG TO THE LARGEST FRATERNAL ORDER of BROTHERHOOD ON EARTH, AND FOR THAT I AM THANKFUL, FOR THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE ME, THOSE WHO WENT WITH ME AND THOSE WHO WENT AFTER ME, MAY GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS WHO STAND ON THE WALL THIS NIGHT, SO I AND MY FAMILY MAY FELL SAFE AT HOME, SEMPER FI TO ALL. :flag:

Seeley
04-21-06, 11:00 AM
Wow

Tobes03
04-22-06, 11:16 PM
Words cannot describe the gratitude I have for these fallen heroes. Along with the pride I feel of wearing their uniform.:iwo: