PDA

View Full Version : The Crucible question

faith
03-28-06, 11:37 AM
hi, im curently in High School and active in the ROTC program... im in the Drill Team. I really like how military runs and i like everything about it no doubt. Although i am really wanting a Military career and i plan on enlisting in the MARINES. The bootcamp training, what all do recruites do in the 10th week for the Crucible? whats like the most important thing Marine Recruiters should prepare and be ready for before they go in and is there a way i can prepare and do now before i go? Im 15 and-a-half years old... (freshman student) i'll be 16 this June.
though is there anything i can do to start building up strength? Im really glad Marines are required to learn karate and thats a fun sport! I take karate classes 3 days a week and right now, im currerntly a yellow belt. I'm getting close to earning a yellow and black belt or if im lucky, earn the 1st or 2nd reccomended orange belt. thanx! bY the way, this website is great and very helpful.

:flag: faith

Marine84
03-28-06, 01:19 PM
You'll have PLENTY of training in the weeks leading up to the Crucible to prepare you - NOTHING can prepare you for the Marine Corps.

faith
03-28-06, 02:23 PM
Ooo... okay. wow thats a comfort! thanx for the tip! lol

Marine84
03-28-06, 02:57 PM
seriously.................ask anybody that's been there already.

faith
03-28-06, 03:30 PM
:usmc: I'm thinking of doing Infantry in the Marines.. can anyone tell me more about the Infantry job? I dont know if there are restrictions of women jobs but... i've read information about women working in the Military and there has been a history of what they were allowed to hold.... I want to join the Marines and i wish i could "now" but -- bologney, i have to wait 2 and-a-half years.... before i can enlist. Oh and do you know what age i'd have to be to enter in to the D.E.P? Oh going back to Infantry, is the Infantry job available to women?

Lorix
03-28-06, 03:41 PM
It's not that bad... honestly, I thought I was going to die, not because of the Crucible itself, but because of the Drill Instructor that really wanted me on her team. She absolutely hated me, she said I would run the whole course... thank God Senior chose me on her team... that was a matter of life and death! My advice, don't worry about the Crucible itself, worry about not p!ssing off the DI's, and which one wants you on their team.

Lorix
03-28-06, 03:44 PM
Oh, and yes the DI's get to pick what recruits they want on their team. My DI's told us that it is completely random, but judging but what DI got which recruit, obviously they were picked. Good Luck!

Marine84
03-28-06, 04:15 PM
Faith - you cannot go into infantry being a female - you could be in an infantry related MOS but the Corps will not hand you an M16 and send you to the frontlines with the guys. They don't do it in ANY branch. If you're really gung ho for things that go BOOM - go in on the Air side and play in Ordnance or something.

faith
03-29-06, 10:45 AM
thanx for taking the time to answer my questions, im really learning a lot in here.... why won't they allow women to handle them m-16's??? ( or wait-- maybe i shouldnt ask to many questions cuz i dont want to **** n-e one of you former Marines off ) What are jobs available in the Marine Ordanance career choice and.... do women still train battle because what if during battle, units were short of men... would they have called women to then go into battle?

Marine84
03-29-06, 11:36 AM
Oh you'll get to handle an M16 - you have to qualify with it just like the guys. And, if push ever comes to shove, you will get to shoot at an enemy. Women aren't allowed in Infantry simply because our frames cannot (and this is a FACT - I don't care what hard ass female comes in here bowed up at the chest because she THINKS she can do everything a man can - GET OVER IT ALREADY CAUSE WE CAN'T) handle a lot of the things it takes upper body strength to do. ALL MARINES ARE TRAINED TO BE RIFLEMEN FIRST!

As far as jobs in Ordnance - ask your recruiter. You could be the one building them, you could be working on the flightline hooking them up to jets, you could end up working in a maintenance squadron working on racks (the things between the jet and the bomb that you hook the bomb to), you could work in that same squadron doing maintenance on guns (the kind that are flown on jets - not the ones you hold in your hand which, by the way, are called weapons). There is a plethera of things that women CAN do that don't involve an M16.

And we Marines don't get mad when folks ask us questions - we get mad at the stupid ones that can't HANDLE the answers sometimes.

faith
03-29-06, 02:04 PM
hey, calm down sir!
I dont mean to be making you mad.... and sorry if my question sounded like i can handle anything.... but i know i cant, ( not afraid to admitt it ) and my questions are just based on my curiosity interests.... and the replies i get back dont surprise and bother me

Marine84
03-29-06, 03:09 PM
SIR???? I think you better check my profile there missy. What you think a man is going to come in here and tell you what's available for women unless he's a recruiter or been one previously?

outlaw3179
03-29-06, 03:20 PM
lol

rb1651
03-29-06, 09:37 PM
Kim, you sure you weren't one of Drill Instructors? LMAO

Marine84
03-30-06, 09:19 AM
LOL! Nah, I would have had too much fun being a DI. I just don't believe in sugar coatin', political correctness and all of that crap.

faith
03-30-06, 11:34 AM
hi, i know and i did......... an i apologize about that ma'am. oh and i do apologize if i had been too outspoken about the war and Commander in Chief.... I know i have my stupid moments and im not afraid to admitt that... yet-- maybe my comments or opinions were immature but as myself, i wasnt trying to be. I actually do understand what they are fighting for.... i have been there cuz i am adopted, came to America age 2, and i know what it was like to have nothing... the U.S. has helped me out of the Vietnam war and the Kumere Rouge..... and plus, my Uncle helped me out too........ he's a retired Army Paratrooper.... its been so long and i have not seen or heard him and i wonder how he is.

Though... i appreciate everything that soldiers have done... that's what motivated me to join the Military and i dont mean for any of my opinions and questions to sound aweful, immature,...etc.... but think of it this way--- how often do teens my age think way out side the box?

Marine84
03-30-06, 02:45 PM
It's OK - all of us in here know that the reason a lot of young folks today think the way they do is because they're listening to folks who have no clue what they're talking about and have never lost anybody in a war.

I do have a few pointers for you though - 1) don't call us soldiers - we are Marines. We are the ONLY branch that works directly for the President and no matter what he says or does we will ALWAYS protect him and do what he says to do

Marine84
03-30-06, 02:57 PM
:mad: damned edit time - can somebody please change that??

Anyway - Faith.................I'm curious as to why you bash a man (Nixon, Bush, anybody) that runs the country that let you in with open arms? Am I safe in assuming you have American parents? There are a lot of men in this forum (and a lot of them that didn't make it home) so that you could come into this country and get out of the hell hole you came from. Is that how you say thank you? By calling him what you did on the other thread?

If you want to join the military here, any of them would be glad to have you maybe but, don't bite the hand that feeds you child.

faith
03-31-06, 11:43 AM
i do have American parents.... well, my mother isnt a fan of Bush and i guess to why i said that was because i listen to her too much. A lot of what she says are really mean.... no where close to what i had said but-- reading your reply i didnt think of that but you came up with a good point. Well i think for now on i wont be listening to my mothers opinions about our president........ though some days when she talks too much and go over-board.. i get ticked and i just dont say nothing. But anyways.... I'll have to remember what you said b4 i get out of hand about our president..... starting now my mouth is shut....;)

Semper Fi!

ps... thanx for straightening my a**

Marine84
03-31-06, 01:29 PM
no problem sweetie - make sure you also add to her that if the US (and whomever is running it) hadn't gotten you out of Vietnam you would be selling your ass right now just to feed yourself. She'll more than likely quit bashing Bush or any other President.

See guys.................another satisfied customer!:banana:

Lorix
04-01-06, 05:14 PM
Sorry I'm a little late on the action, but I'm here now.... what do you mean females lack the upper body strength to be in the infantry!!! Stereotyping us like that, how rude. That's like me saying all males are pigs... which might actually be true. I know I have more upper body strength than most males in my unit, I've been in a few fights since I've been in the fleet, I can carry myself. Males just don't like getting beat by a female. Back on topic, yes, most females probably couldn't hold up in the heat of battle, but there are some out there who can. Don't always judge a book by its cover. Some males become wussies when the bullets start flying, and some females become courageous... judge me not by my physical appearance, but by the strength I possess.

Marine84
04-03-06, 09:50 AM
See what I mean Faith - here's one of those hard ass females now. Sorry Lorix - YOU DO NOT HAVE THE UPPER BODY STRENGTH THAT A MALE DOES! You may feel that you can do anything a man can but that's why YOU had to do a flexed arm hang and NOT pullups on your PFT. I am not stereotyping anybody, society has done that all of your life AND mine. I carried myself too little devil pup - had to prove it all the time. I'm also a realist too - I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT I CANNOT DO LIKE A MAN and anything that requires a lot of upper body strength, I can't. There's nothing wrong with not being able to do everything a man can after all, there are a lot of things that WE can do that THEY cannot. And ALL men aren't pigs, you'll find that out when you've been out in the fleet for a while.

Lorix
04-03-06, 10:05 AM
I wish they would change it so we have to do pull-ups, not the flew arm hang... but I know I can hold it longer than any male that I've ever seen try. My high is 99 seconds, let me know if you see anyone beat it, trust me, you won't find many. All I'm saying is some females can measure up, most can not. I know of a female Drill Instructor that could do quite a few one handed pull-ups, don't ask me how many, lost count. How many males do you know that can do one one-handed pull-up? When it comes to upper body strength, you might be surprised.

jgorosco
04-03-06, 10:35 AM
Just like there are FEW WM's that can do 99sec arm hangs, I am sure there are a FEW Male Marines that can do 99sec arm hangs. And to answer your question about Male Marines doing on arm pullups. I have seen ALOT. No one has questioned your strengths or lack there of, Marine84 is just stating facts. WM's in our MOS 6541 could not do alot of the work the Male Marines could and I am sure Marine84 will state that as fact.
Lorix you still get the same respect as any other Marine. It has and will continue to be like that. So relax on the Woman's lib a little cause not everyone is a Male chauvenist(sp). Get the chip off your shoulder and go with the flow.

faith
04-03-06, 11:42 AM
To Marine84,........ yep i see what you mean! ( lmao ) I can lift things 2wice my own body weight and i only weigh 89 and-1-half pounds! ( im very energetic.... high metabolism) I hate it sometimes and i've been working on gaining more weight b4 i go in. Plus i take medication to help me focus in school...... ( Concerta )-- well... even though i can lift 2wice my own weight.... i still find it hard to improve and i've been working on those bar pull ups and bar hangs.... i find it hard to get better.... in my ROTC P.T. test,... i only held my bar hangs for only 24 seconds... ( i wasnt happy)--- but yeah anyways..... I Hear Ya Marine84! (lol)

:banana: haha... this dude can groove..... (lol) J / K

faith
04-03-06, 11:45 AM
ps... i still cant figure out how to do those 1-hand push ups... that takes a lot of strength

outlaw3179
04-03-06, 12:46 PM
Thats great that you can hang from a bar for a few seconds but that neccesarily make you infantry ready. I guess the truest test would be , if you had the ability either pick up or drag a 185 lb. Marine 25 yards all the while in combat gear while the injured Marine is carrying the same combat load. Mentally Im sure most female Marines can and have acted superbly in combat. Physically I do believe they lack ability to sustain during long combat patrols. Also you have to deal with nature. Men can go weeks without showers or proper hygiene. Now correct me if Im wrong but after a while arent there certain "needs'' that a woman would need also?

Marine84
04-03-06, 03:21 PM
That's just it guys - Lorix probably won't admit that she can't carry a 185 lb man on her back with all the extra weight of hers AND his field gear. Keep practicing them one handed pull ups girl! At least you'll be able to hold your own weight.

And you're right J - going through school once when we were loading 500 pounders with the hernia bars (you know how they make you do it the hard way in school) - there was me and 3 guys - they let me learn my lesson - nobody told me to brace myself a certain way to accommodate the weight and I went down. If those 3 guys hadn't been there, I would have been one hurt puppy. After I got done shaking for a few minutes and after the instructor yelled at me for a few minutes ("are you going to always let somebody pick up your slack?") - I braced myself the next time and we got that damned thing hooked to that rack.

And Outlaw you made a good point too - we women DO have "special needs" but it would probably stop for some of us. Boot camp cut mine off (sorry, was that way too much info?). It's definitely not something I would want to worry about AND have to try to kill an enemy too.

faith
04-04-06, 11:35 AM
I have a question because as you all are more experts..... I dont know what decision would be best.... I want to enlist in the Marines when im 17 and i have not too long b4 i can.... about 2 and-a-half years to wait... i'll be 16 this June. I want to enlist yet.... then i was thinking about waiting until i finish High School and go into P.L.C. and work towards earning the position of going into the Marines as an Officer. I have talked with a lot military veterans.. i've listened to them... yet i havent yet found a veteran thats currently active in this year.... or last year... i hear a lot of expertise an learned from when they were and the options were during WWII and... maybe some info has helped but rules and things change like things now arent what they use to be during their time era....

What would be the best that you Marines would consider that i'd best be with..... should i wait until after High School and go into P.L.C that can guarantee the time when i graduate go in as an Marine Officer, or should i enlist when im 17 in my Juniour year in the early Spring??? Oh yeah and if i had wanted to work towards becoming an Officer in the Marines.... i'd like to attend a Military run school. I really dont like regular colleges because.. i dont have the time to deal with nonsense roommates and their behaivor.... do you all know any Marine schools or all Marine Academy's?

Marine84
04-04-06, 01:12 PM
What is PLC?

faith
04-04-06, 05:47 PM
(PLC)= Platoon Leaders Class

My High School Guidence department holds brochures for anyone wanting to know more about the educational opportunities in the Military and benefits for the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, and Air Force. I had picked one up about the Marine Corps Educational Opportunities and reading about the PLC, it had said that another highly effective route to Marine Corps Officer Status is the PLC. It talked short info about the class and said the program goes throught minimal weekend and summer commitments, plus allows college students to complete the (OCS)= Officer Candidate School.. while still in college and offers a guaranteed commission as an officer upon graduation.
And another thought.... that means i have to attend a regular college that has that program right because it sounds like a Marine Corps ROTC except ROTC was replaced with PLC. or is the PLC a separate program in a Marine Academy... ( this hard to explain ) but do you get what im trying to say... i dont mean to confuse... i like the Military environment and cuz how the way they run differ from how regular school is... and plus im able to work with pple who are more disciplined and are wanting to work as a unit..

Lorix
04-05-06, 10:26 AM
All I was trying to get across is that there are some females out there stronger than you might think. It is unfair to judge them all based on only those you know of.

outlaw3179
04-05-06, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE That's like me saying all males are pigs... which might actually be true.[/QUOTE]

Kind of like that?

faith
04-05-06, 10:48 AM
im sorry... im confused here... did i miss something?
I didnt say any thing about um.... ( i dont know what you are talking about Lorix ) Anyways-- can we jst drop your subject...... its not worth getting a little worked up over it and you just gotta learn to except that Marine84 and others were jst stating the facts...........well anyways starting now.... drop it,and face it

Semper Fi

jgorosco
04-05-06, 10:51 AM
outlaw3179...you aren't supposed to bring evidence to an argument with a certain WM...she might kick you in the nutz as she always threatens to do!!

Go easy on me WM Lorix!!

faith
04-05-06, 10:59 AM
haha... uh-oh.... you two guys better run before she does..... ( lmao )

Marine84
04-05-06, 11:28 AM
you guys :D ............I saw on her profile that kicking guys in the nuts is a hobby of hers or som sh_t - it's OK I'll take your light duty with Lorix - and thanks Outlaw for showing her that she talks out both sides of her neck. She doesn't want to be judged in the same group as us girlie girls but it's OK for her to judge ALL men as pigs - go figure.

And thanks Faith for the PLC explanation. There was no such thing when I was your age and I don't have kids so I didn't know schools offered anything like it. We had ROTC but it was Army (THANK GOD I didn't go THAT route!) and school was never a reason for me to join the Corps. A recruiter would be better able to answer all that stuff for you.

outlaw3179
04-05-06, 11:48 AM
kill bodies

faith
04-06-06, 11:41 AM
Only Army ROTC heh??? (lol) wow.....

oh thats pretty funny how you said ( dont wanna say the persons profile name ) but its kinda obvious.... that someone thinks on both sides of the neck....

seems like in this world and now these days... nature has a thing for infesting many of them kinds....

Marine84
04-06-06, 01:17 PM
Yeah - there wasn't any reason for my high school to have any other branch of ROTC - hell I think there have only been 10 folks in the whole town that ever went in the Corps so..............I came from a small town in SC, my graduating class was only a little over 100 or so.

faith
04-06-06, 03:03 PM
(lol) im srry... i just find anything before my time funny sometimes... well, its not that hilarious its just that..... times have changed dramatically and its amazing of how much we have now and opportunities have increased... i always get stories from my parents of how things were before i was born like in the 60's, 70's, 80's..... i just consider myself lucky but yet... some things were neat back in the "black & white" days-- and i wish i was born during one era where i got to see what it was like up close..

Marine84
04-06-06, 03:13 PM
It is pretty funny - a friend of mine has an 18 year old daughter and he pulled a record album out and started playing it and she freaked out - she had never seen one much less know that you could put a piece of vinyl on a turntable (I know, you probably don't even know what one of those is either) and music would come out of it. Kids these days think it's awful if they have no remote control for the TV. Heaven forbid if they should have to get their ass up off of the couch to change channels on the TV. LOL!

faith
04-06-06, 03:33 PM
true... but many kids these days have turned out to be spoiled brats... kids who sit in front of the tv and if thats what they like to do all day.. they have no concept of appreciation. Im amazed of how many dont appreciate what this country has!! I am a volunteer with my parents of a Turning Point Ranch for grls... hearing all the stories and what they have gone through,.. abuse.. opportunity... its sad! Its jst crazy.. and everytime my family and i go up there to visit the girls to drop items,clothes,food,or anything-- it always reminds to appreciate what i am able to do. These girls,.. who arent lucky, havent been taught... and exposed to trying things out so many they dont even know what certain things are! Its really sad... they like to sew now and so we have been buying sewing items..etc-- this one grl, she jst got a scholorship and will be going to college to be a chef. Im really proud of her but... whats sad is that the scholorship is all she has to make sure she has the benefits of having a nice life... but these girls... they were never taught so they are having to work hard find as many who can also help them... but the grl who earned the scholorship.. i know she will do well. Because in this Turning Point Ranch for girls, they are only allowed to stay until they are 17 or 18... or unless the girls have developed socially and well, they are ready to go into a family. Yet-- the way things work.. its hard for them because the question would be.... "r they really ready to go into a family" "do they feel they r ready?"... cuz these grls, some have been abused or something else happedend... but its tough and i wish every spoiled brat kids could jst get the chance to meet these girls... cuz they wish they were able to do what the lucky ones can....

Marine84
04-06-06, 03:57 PM
that's a good thing Faith - being a volunteer for ANYTHING is a good thing. At least you're doing a lot of things with your life that other kids your age wouldn't do. Believe it or not, this will help you later in life and it will help build your character. I have no doubt that you will succeed in anything that you try to do.

Lorix
04-10-06, 10:40 AM
I missed all the action. Everyone lives by stereotypes, dates back to growing up. I don't mean any offense to anyone, I'm just using it as an example, not trying to spread any hatred or anything, just trying to make my point, but it's like seeing an 18 year old African American in a parking lot late at night, based on instinct and everything you hear on the news and from your parents, your going to be more cautious than let's say a 79 year-old white woman. Stereotypes are always going to play a role, it is almost impossible to totally destroy all stereotypes. My goal is to deminish most of what the stereotypes placed on female Marines. When I said all men might be pigs, I know that's not true, I've meet some really nice males out there. Just that most of the one's I've seen live up to that standard.

Oh, and Marine84! Who's side are you on? Female Marines are supposed to stick together, you don't have to agree with me, but your not supposed to attack me! Come on, we're cool. I still have your back, to the day I die.

Marine84
04-10-06, 11:38 AM
Trust me Lorix I would be THE first to have your back (IF push ever came to shove) but you DO talk out both sides of your neck sometimes. You have a problem with stereotyping but you're all gung ho when stereotyping others - if you practice what you preach it won't be a problem for you. Walk it like you talk it sister...................you won't go to hell for it, I promise.

Lorix
04-10-06, 11:51 AM
Lol. I was using the every man is a pig as an example, like I said, I know it's not true and I don't go around seeing every man as through they were a pig. I know, I might contradict myself once in a while, but I know where I stand. It's impossible to fully escape stereotypes, human nature is quick to judge.

faith
04-19-06, 01:09 PM
well, nevermind--- im keeping my mouth shut... but Lorix, where r you getting your thoughts.... from the Jibberish Blah-Blah bible?? I dnt remember or recall anyone on this thread to be sterotyping. ( end of subject ) But with all do's... every Marine you know still gives you the same respect... betcha herd that one thousands of times.....

Semper Fi

faith
04-19-06, 01:32 PM
Oh hey, does anyne know how i can manage my weight to prepare me for Marine Bootcamp? I have a really major problem with my weight because im really active and i do a lot of activities. Im also in the Air Force ROTC Drill Team. Plus, i take 3 days a week of Tae Kwon Do Martial Arts,... and on my own time.... im constantly running around busy,... and plus i take Concerta to help me concentrate in school and keep myself out of trouble...

I've been working on mangaging my weight and i use to weigh 84 or 85 pnds... now since i've been eating more protein, i've gained and now weigh 91 pnds.... but see- i'm not trying to get fat, i jst need more weight and grow more( im not sure if im finished growing) ,,...im 15 and a half, i'll be 16 this June--- but my weight, its been concerning me because i have a feeling my wieght is not the correct average for my age and height.... Plus, with my problem, im not sure whether if the Marines are going to accept me because of the weight issue.
Im built small, but i can lift things twice my own weight and carry my own weight and pple are always surprised when they see me carry something too heavy cuz im little. I dont care how heavy the items are, but thats how i also work on gaining my own strentgth and muscles too, what do i do?
the problem with my weight, my parents, and my doctors also help me keep track of my habits because since im so active, i have a really hight rate of metabolism because if i were to gain weight approval, and then i go off working out, i loose it all back off and i have to start all over. I really hate it..... a lot of girls wish they were my size but i look at them in the eye and im like.......( boi are you asking for trouble) plus, i wear a size 0 and a 1 in Juniours. ( now tell me how often girls find clothes in that size???) (lol) Now i can find a lot but--- sometimes i find them far away in another county!! I dont shop in the girls section cuz... 1, they have no shape...... so its alwys a problem when i go shopping uz either its too big, too small, or just right.