PDA

View Full Version : ?? for the ladies...

jenjen
03-28-06, 10:16 AM
ok, so i'm 27, hubby is going to boot camp in jan 07. we have a little boy who will be 2 in may. i'm seriously considering joining the corps, but waiting until i'm 29 and my son will be older. the question is, are any of you moms, and how did u make it 3 months without seeing your kids? that's the only thing thats holding me back...

<3,
jen

chrisnica
03-28-06, 05:07 PM
I wanted to say OORAH to you for what you're planning on doing. I know of a few Marines that went off to boot camp and left their kids behind for a while, and they said that it was horrible. In the long run thou, you will become someone special and will provide better for your son. THe fact that your boy will have both of his parents in the Corps is outstanding. When it's all said and done you will look back and say that what you did was great, and now you'll have a hell of a life for you and your family. Three months seems like a small price to pay, but I don't have any kids, that's just what I gather from other Marines that were at the same place you are at right now. Sorry I couldn't be a big help. Someone else will give you their two cents later on thoug. Later!

Marine84
03-29-06, 01:26 PM
honey if you can't get past three months without him, what do you think will happen if you get sent overseas on an unaccompanied tour - which means you stay in the barracks with everybody else and you can't take kid or hubby with you? Please! Do the Corps AND yourself a favor and DON'T join.

GunnyM
04-03-06, 11:38 PM
ok, so i'm 27, hubby is going to boot camp in jan 07. we have a little boy who will be 2 in may. i'm seriously considering joining the corps, but waiting until i'm 29 and my son will be older. the question is, are any of you moms, and how did u make it 3 months without seeing your kids? that's the only thing thats holding me back...

<3,
jen

The age limit is 17 to 28. There are waivers, but they are tough to get. If being a Marine is something that you want to do, then you will need to ship to boot camp prior to your 29th birthday. You are already going to need a waiver for being married to another active duty Marine and for having two dependents.
As far as being aways from your son - obviously, it would be tough, but nothing that you can't do - Marines do it every day. Anytime things get tough, just remember how you and your family will benefit in the end. Stay strong and stay motivated.
Good luck to you and your family!

Lorix
04-05-06, 06:16 PM
We had two 29 year olds in our platoon, we also had a few recruits with kids of there own. I'm not going to tell you whether or not to join, if you really want to be a Marine, go for it, don't let having kids hold you back. The question is, are you willing to be away from them for long periods of time? About deployment, many female Marines have kids, you wouldn't be alone. Your decision.

Worsham
04-06-06, 11:51 AM
That is me and I ship to Parris Island in June.
My children are 7 and 3 and being away from them will be hard, but it is something I am willing to do.
Don't let fear keep you from this if you really want.
If you have not already talked to a recruiter, you may want to soon.
I was told that having children with one Active Duty Spouse was a disqualifier. Only after I demonstrated that my husband is medically separated was I processed.

Good luck.

Lorix
04-06-06, 12:08 PM
Hey worsham, long time no see. Glad to hear everything worked out, you finally got a ship date. Let me know if you have any questions about boot camp or anything, I'll see if I can prepare you as much as possible.

hrscowboy
04-06-06, 04:16 PM
nope nope nope A womens place is in the home taking care of the house and the babies, make sure everything is taken care of while the Man of the house is out workin.. bringin that paycheck in.. I am beginning to wonder if some of the Married women that do this is trying to get out of their job of taking care of the kids...

GySgtRet
04-06-06, 05:20 PM
you are in big trouble now...!!!

thedrifter
04-06-06, 07:13 PM
hrscowboy

I knew you would get in here and state your opinion..

You have never let me down...;)

Ellie

hrscowboy
04-06-06, 08:14 PM
Aww shucks Miss Ellie thats the way i was raised my mother was never allowed in the pastures workin horses or cattle my dad always said the womans place was in the home taking care of the house in other words she ran the show except when it came to outside work. She made sure everything worked well like a fine oiled machine.

Cappucine
04-07-06, 05:08 PM
April 07, 2006

My mother a US Marine Mom while raising us when we were little lived by example. That meant she lived her life by example showing us how to live ours I can say that I was very impressed with her determination, her back bone being strong and standing up for what she believed in and she will always be my No 1 Hero. She worked two jobs while raising two children but she always made sure that her children were safe with whomever she left them with. It was tough for her because she did not have any help from anybody she sank or swam and boy can she swim. She managed to never accept anything from the government ever she had to much pride and no matter what she was not going to go on the welfare system she would rather die I think. My mother worked her finger to the bone, busted her chops, almost broke her back trying to make it as a single American Woman in the early 70's with two children to support but she always managed to put food on the table and gave us the best loving care (tough love) a mother could give with out showing us to much emotion. She is tough, determined to make it, a survivor, has principals enough to stand up for what she believed in even if you were three times bigger than her. My mother she is the best I learned a lot from her and I very proud to have a mother like her not scared of anybody or anything and the strongest will to live I have ever seen. She always looked out for the children first. Fed the children before she sat down to eat. Made sure ever corner was turned, every spot of dirt was picked up from the floor, you know the white glove pass with honors. My mother stood up for what she believed in and I like the Marines because they also stand up for what they believe in more than anything in the whole wide world that shows dedication, honesty, discipline, faithfulness to ones country and duty, a commitment that someone is going to keep and not lie to you, and forget about that commitment. There is a lot that I admire about my mother for going out and busting her chops to provide for her family. Well that is all I have to say right now. Nice stories.

Sincerely,

Cappucine

Tabby
04-07-06, 08:23 PM
In our platoon, we had a woman that was 23 and she had a hard time keeping up- she was in shape too. She transferred from the Army. <br />
<br />
I'm a medical discharge, but if I want to go back, I can. ...

jenjen
04-08-06, 06:49 PM
thanks for all of your responses! i guess i have a lot to think about, as far as how hard it is on kids having 2 AD parents....i know i can hang with the "kiddies" physically...been training for quite a while, so the physical part is the least of my worries....i know that i may get deployed, or an unaccompanied tour....even though recruiters say it's "highly unlikely" for 2 AD spouses to get separeted (is that true??) anyhow, just wanted to thank you all for your input :)

ok, now lemme get my barefoot self back to the kitchen where i belong
lmao ;)

tntmondy
04-08-06, 08:58 PM
When I went to boot camp I was single. Later on I met my husband who was also on active duty. We ended up having a daughter. Yes we were together most of the time. However there are no guarentes. There were several months we were not. When that happens one of you have to take the children. So in a way it is like being a single mom on active duty. What I am trying to tell you is NO it isn't easy, nothing worth having ever is. If you want it go for it. I have always been the kind of person who wants my cake and eat it too. Most of the time it works for me, if for no other reason than shear determination to make it happen. Only you can decide what is best for you and your children. But also keep in mind it is hard on the kids also. Having added my 2 cents worth, I will now take my barefoot self back to the kitchen lol.

Lorix
04-09-06, 05:13 PM
nope nope nope A womens place is in the home taking care of the house and the babies, make sure everything is taken care of while the Man of the house is out workin.. bringin that paycheck in.. I am beginning to wonder if some of the Married women that do this is trying to get out of their job of taking care of the kids...
I wanted to respond earlier, but got pushed off the computer, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it....

A woman's place is at home is it... that just boils my bubble! Growing up, my mom worked and my dad stayed home, not to take care of us, but to be a couch potato. I don't believe in a man of the house, I believe in a woman of the house. I'm not a kind of woman that needs a man, I can take care of myself... I think it sucks a woman has to stay at home all day while the man gets to work... I am a Marine, I go out there and work harder than most men and don't complain, and I'm proud of it, any guy that tries to put me in a home and tell me to stay there while they go to work is going to get whacked in the nuts! I mean it. Nobody, and I mean nobody is going to keep me from going out, get a job and have a good time. That's why they have day-care, so I can go out and make a living while still living life. That's one of my reasons for joining the Marines, no one can stop me, I'm going places.

hrscowboy
04-09-06, 06:03 PM
Ha Ha lorix first of all you have to have children and if you think daycare is cheap (hello think again) daycare is going to cost to you a bundle and if you dont think it will then i suggest you check into it. I realize in todays world it takes 2 parents working to make ends meet unless of course you get lucky and have a husband or wife that makes a bundle. You must also realize that once you made this committment to have children your play time is over its nothing like it was before you had them. And i dont think there is a woman anywhere that wont agree with me on what i just said. Semper Fi Private first class Lorix i wish you the best of Luck....

Tabby
04-09-06, 06:45 PM
Ha Ha lorix first of all you have to have children and if you think daycare is cheap (hello think again) daycare is going to cost to you a bundle and if you dont think it will then i suggest you check into it. I realize in todays world it takes 2 parents working to make ends meet unless of course you get lucky and have a husband or wife that makes a bundle. You must also realize that once you made this committment to have children your play time is over its nothing like it was before you had them. And i dont think there is a woman anywhere that wont agree with me on what i just said. Semper Fi Private first class Lorix i wish you the best of Luck....

omg- i am in total agreement! when i went back to work after we had our daughter, i looked into daycare- the waiting list on base was darn near four months long, and out in town it was $170 a week for ONE baby!!!! that's why i work evenings when my husband is home, plus i have a business in the home.

and if you want to find someone to watch your little bundle of joy, it's almost double the regular day care costs plus you have the challenge of finding someone responsible and caring.

but i don't think a woman should be stuck in the house bare foot and pregnant and scrubbing toilets and floors all day long...i waited 6 months to go back, and almost went crazy being stuck in the house!! i am far from betty homemaker! lol i give credit to the one's that stay home and do nothing but raise the kiddos and cook and clean.

but jen, good luck and have fun- boot is what you make of it- i actually had a good time. it's a completely different world, but it's a blast!

Lorix
04-10-06, 09:40 AM
I don't have kids so can't give any first hand experience. If day-care doesn't work, I know my mom would come through and help me out. My kid can stay there, all I know is being a Marine is important to me, I want my kid to be a part of my life, not be a burden. I do know of a few Marines with children, some of the Marine wife's that do stay hope run there own daycare, I would find a place for my kid while still maintaining my life and my job.

Marine84
04-10-06, 11:59 AM
Hell I WISH I could find somebody that would let me stay at home! I don't know about the kid part though - never had any - love them as long as they belong to somebody else. I'm the "bad" aunt that will let them do things that their parents won't and then take them back home to their parents. I would LOVE to find kids young enough to camp out with them in a pumpkin patch and tell them that we're waiting for the Great Pumpkin - that would be cool as hell!

If I had things to do all over again, staying at home with the kids is THE ONLY way that I would have it. I'd rattle them pots and pans and look pretty damned good doing it too - after all, I would be living on someone else's paycheck. I applaud the women in the world that can have it all - career, marriage, kids, the whole nine yards.............but it wouldn't have been the thing for me.

jenjen
04-10-06, 02:26 PM
yah i have to say i'm one of the lucky ones that gets to stay home with my son, and everyone is telling me i'm nuts to want to change it in any way...and of course i'm being told that for a woman to want to be a Marine, i must be "insane, stupid or both" anyhow, my son is my life...and hubby and i are doing evrything we do for him and his future. so if i weigh pros and cons of me being AD vs. "just" being a Marine wife, we will do whichever is best for our Devil Pup :)

thanks to all of you...

hrscowboy
04-10-06, 02:26 PM
Now wait a minute ladys, not one time have i said anything about being barefoot and pregnet let me get the statement down from the get go..

Tabby
04-10-06, 02:29 PM
Now wait a minute ladys, not one time have i said anything about being barefoot and pregnet let me get the statement down from the get go..

oh hon, i wasn't refering to you, i was talking about one of my in laws saying that- your comment just reminded me of it.;) i knew what you meant

Tabby
04-10-06, 02:33 PM
yah i have to say i'm one of the lucky ones that gets to stay home with my son, and everyone is telling me i'm nuts to want to change it in any way...and of course i'm being told that for a woman to want to be a Marine, i must be "insane, stupid or both" anyhow, my son is my life...and hubby and i are doing evrything we do for him and his future. so if i weigh pros and cons of me being AD vs. "just" being a Marine wife, we will do whichever is best for our Devil Pup :)

thanks to all of you...

What? a female wanting to be a Marine is insane or stupid? Geez. I must be a blooming idiot then!:banana: lol whatever you decide, it's ultimately your decision- don't let anyone try to talk you into or out of it! being a Marine is incredible- you'll experience so many things that you wouldn't get to being "just a wife". of course it's not all peaches and cream, but i'm sure you already know that!

Lorix
04-10-06, 03:43 PM
You gotta know what you want in life. The Corps is not for everyone, those who aren't interested in this kind of life style or just can't hack it try preventing others from joining. When I joined, no one believed I would make it, my brother laughed (he was looking into the Army), and my father cracked jokes behind my back, he let me know how stupid I was for joining the Marines and that I lost my mind. I pushed past that, shipped to boot and made it through. Now I am a proud Marine and everyone is jealous, I'm the first Marine ever in my family, and a female Marine for that matter. My cousin just decided to join, he's shipping in June, I will have my fun scaring the crap out of him before he leaves. Getting back on topic, it doesn't matter what other people say, for me, I didn't want a desk job all my life, I wanted something more.

jenjen
04-10-06, 04:49 PM
lorix...

see...that totally inspires me! i have a degree in political science, but i just can't sit at a desk all day long either.. i've always wanted to be either a cop orin the military. Army is of course telling me i can go in at E8 or E9 and give me a 40K bonus and go thru the "new EASY boot camp" but if i'm going in, i'm gonna be a MARINE dammit! i love that youre the first in the family! i have lots of Marines in my family, but i'd be the first female...another thing thats driving me...

Lorix
04-10-06, 05:47 PM
Good for you. You want the title, you have the opportunity to earn it. Maybe you have what it takes to the of the fewer, the prouder, the female Marines.