PDA

View Full Version : This Should Be A Classic Darwin Award

Phantom Blooper
03-26-06, 07:28 AM
Auto parts owner, 74, opens fire on robbers

Friday, March 17, 2006

CAROL ROBINSON

News staff writer

A 74-year-old Birmingham shop owner stared into the barrel of a gun inches from his face Thursday, but said he felt no fear.

Joe Montabana could see there were no cartridges in the cylinder of the snub-nosed revolver. It was brandished by a bad guy and pointed straight at him.

Montabana got angry. And he fought back.

The longtime owner of Joe's Auto Parts near the Kingston community grabbed his own revolver, and moments later unleashed five shots toward the would-be robber.

"When he saw my gun, he went out the door really quick."

The fleeing man jumped into a waiting car occupied by two others. It was unknown whether anyone was injured; police were watching area hospitals to see if any gunshot victims would show up.

Montabana said it began when the man came into his 47th Street North store about 1 p.m. and asked him to duplicate a key. Montabana turned his back on the customer briefly, and when he turned back around the man had pulled the gun.

"He said something like `this is a robbery' or `you know what this is,' and he said `go around to the cash register,"` Montabana said. "I saw all the chambers were empty, so I just walked back behind the counter and got my own gun."

The robber immediately dashed for the front door. Montabana followed him and, once outside, opened fire.

"I just walked right here and started shooting," Montabana said, showing where the getaway car had been parked. "If I didn't hit the car, I don't know how I missed it."

Montabana opened the shop in 1965. The only previous trouble for his business happened 20 years ago, he said, when someone robbed the business, firing shots at his wife, who works there with him.

He seemed relatively unscathed by Thursday's event and said he had no qualms about firing his gun.

"He was robbing me. All I'm upset about is my damn lunch got cold." :yes: :yes:

E-mail: crobinson@bhamnews.com

DobbinsBlythe
03-26-06, 08:14 AM
Do you know WHICH birmingham that was? It sounds like a story I heard all over the news here in Alabama! If I'm not mistaken wasn't he a retired Marine?

-Maria

Phantom Blooper
03-26-06, 08:40 AM
http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1142590747109270.xml&coll=2

Birmingham,Alabama. Don't know if he was retired or not. Should be an honorary if not!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

DobbinsBlythe
03-26-06, 08:42 AM
Yeah I remember that story. I do believe he was retired USMC. BTW, I love your signature. Pretty freaking awesome. I can't hit anything at 200 meters without a scope.. but I can hit a 20 oz bottle at 500 yards with a nikkon and a .308. It makes my fiancee (the RCT) proud. haha. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I saw that news story. That guy was totally awesome. I don't think I've ever seen someone so cool and collected under threat of having his life taken away. Is this something that the Marine Corps does to you?
-Maria

Phantom Blooper
03-26-06, 11:03 AM
I don't think I've ever seen someone so cool and collected under threat of having his life taken away. Is this something that the Marine Corps does to you?

Semper-Fi Heart"

Some may wear the uniform
And even look the part
But to truly be a real Marine
You must have a “Semper-Fi Heart”
This “Heart” is not earned in “Boot Camp”
But is “Developed Along the Way”
And it “Grows” because of “Dedication”
Through “Service” each and every day
“Semper” is Latin for “Always”
“Fidelis” means “Faithful” and “True”
“Faithful” when things don’t go your way
And “Faithful” when they do
You may not understand the rationale
Nor even know the reason why
But the “Mission” will be accomplished
When your “Heart” is “Semper-Fi”

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

DobbinsBlythe
03-26-06, 12:04 PM
that was beautiful. I'm going to send that in a letter to David (my fiancee at RCT training) and let him know where it came from ;)

I'm glad he's joined the Marine Corps, nothing is more hard core, or beautiful!

Mama
03-27-06, 05:55 AM
That's so touching!

Savin' this one too for my lil poolee when her letters from boot are down I'll have another positive to send to her :D