PDA

View Full Version : Marines' film grew into award-winner

thedrifter
03-24-06, 07:40 AM
Massaro: Marines' film grew into award-winner
March 24, 2006

Travis Gregg and Kay Summers started out to make a recruiting video for the Marines. They ended up with a two-hour documentary that has earned them a big award.

Gregg, 27, is an Aurora native. He and Summers, of Newnan, Ga., are staff sergeants with the United States Marine Band, which is called the "President's Own" because it plays at a lot of presidential functions. It's the band once conducted by John Phillip Sousa, the "March King."

That's not the only history involved. The documentary won for Gregg and Summers the Maj. Norman Hatch Award, named in honor of the Marine photographer whose World War II documentary With the Marines at Tarawa was honored with an Academy Award.

Gregg and Summers were going to make a shorter video to be used as a recruiting tool at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, a big convention of school music directors in Chicago.

The more they became involved, the bigger the project grew - to a two-hour history of the band. It's called Playing America's Music.

"It started out as a concert video with subtitles. It just kept getting bigger and better," said Gregg, who did the recording on the project. "We decided we needed to do interviews. This covers the history of the band, including interviews with past members."

Gregg joined the band out of Indiana University, where he was working after graduating with a degree in audio engineering - something he's been interested in since he was attending Smoky Hill High School.

"I started my own recording business when I was 15," he said. "I was recording my high school band as well as others. I sold CDs to students as well as parents. I did great, actually."

So he was doing similar work in Indiana when he read about an opening with the Marine Band. He applied and was accepted.

He and Summers are among the 25-person support staff for the 155-member band.

"The Marine Band is one of the best ensembles in the world," Gregg said. "The players who come here are incredible. To record them is incredible. I just couldn't turn it down."

Both said they are proud to serve.

"I believe the honor has been in finding a way to use my existing skills to serve the Marine Corps, and bringing the story of the Marine Band to people across the country," said Summers, who is a public relations expert.

Gregg and Summers will receive their award at the end of the month at the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation's Awards Dinner, which honors Marines as well as civilians who have contributed to preserving Marine Corps history.

When Gary Massaro listens, people talk. massarog@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-892-5271

Ellie