PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Secret Sam
03-23-06, 04:40 PM
From many years ago. Had the opportunity to sample the gracious hospitality along with many pints of Watney's "Red Barrel" ale in the NCO Mess, Eastney Barracks, Southsea in 1956. I often wonder if they still make that fine brew.

On our first visit (Marine Comm. Detachment, USS MT MCKINLEY (AGC-7)), the Sergeant Major "issued" us small red barrels on a key chain. The idea was to maintain possession of that barrel at all times while in the mess because, at any time, it was possible for someone to call "Barrel, Barrel. Who's got their barrel?" If you came up short, you shouted the bar.

Thanks for the memories, mates!

jinelson
03-23-06, 06:51 PM
Welcome Aboard Marine!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/KoolAid.jpg

Osotogary
03-23-06, 09:17 PM
I don't know but I thought that you'd like these photos.
Welcome.
Gary

Secret Sam
03-24-06, 09:47 AM
Appreciate the welcome, Jim. Good to be here.

Gary - you're just making the "itch" worse;) I know that time has probably enhanced the memories of Watney's but I'm none the worse for having it. The Barracks are looking just fine - thanks a lot.

3BadgeMarine
03-24-06, 11:24 AM
Gentlemen.........The Old Royal Marine barracks was sold off by this non -caring government the only remaining piece of Marine property is the old officers mess now the Royal Marines Museum.
The barracks now houses luxury apartments,the drill square and the memories are still there,and the guardian of the barracks stands firm and resolute the 'statue' of the Yomper a Falklands Marine.
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/bootneck54/rm6.jpg Aye JR

Secret Sam
03-24-06, 11:55 AM
That's a damned shame! :mad: Sure sorry to hear that. At least they left one memento to remind them of their mistake.

By the way, I know that HMS VICTORY is still afloat. Is she still in the Portsmouth Dockyard or have they moved her? Touring through her made me feel fortunate that I hadn't had to pull a tour of sea duty in those "quarters". Quite a lot of history in that immediate area if you searched it out. The best "advantage" to the area was that the train station was exactly 90 minutes in a club car to London. Hung out around Picadilly Circus a few nights.

3BadgeMarine
03-24-06, 02:36 PM
HMS Victory...... My last tour of duty was aboard the Victory before discharge 'Time Served' that grand 'Old Lady' certainly brings back memories,the middle watch on the gun decks,that old ship is...

Josephine
04-17-06, 09:07 AM
Ah, HMS Victory!

I am too tall for that ship lol

I did duties on there for a month once, never again. Too many things went 'bump' with out any decent cause for me lol