PDA

View Full Version : Veterans - Saluting the flag or Hand over Heart?

thedrifter
03-23-06, 06:52 AM
Veterans - Saluting the flag or Hand over Heart?

Via Seamus, there's a movement brewing for Veterans to be able to salute during the National Anthem or when passing the colors.

Retired Major General Vernon B. Lewis:

I gathered some 16 of my old military friends who agreed to sponsor a movement for Veterans to salute rather than place their hands over their heart when honoring the flag, fallen comrades, and/or the country. I have some from each of the four principal services. Three of them were former Vice Chiefs or Assistant Commandants of their services, and several were former CINC's.

We refer to saluting when we do the pledge to the flag, when the National Colors pass or are presented, when the National Anthem or honors are played, or when taps are played and firing squads or guns render honors.

We got MOAA magazine to ask veterans what they preferred, hand over the heart or saluting. When last I looked, some 583 veteran respondents had voted 81% in favor of the salute. In addition, my email address was in the questionairre and I've had about 150 responses, with all but a dozen or so in favor of the salute. Obviously an overwhelming majority of the veterans want to salute.

There are no regulations telling us veterans what we can and can't do in this matter. If we decide we want to salute, who will dare to tell us "no"?

It is a matter of personal choice. We've earned the right to render a salute. Now the challange is to get the word out. I believe the unit and branch associations are the best way. The commanders of the American Legion and VFW never answered my emails, presuming they even got them. If we can get this started it will take on a life of its own. Those who object can continue the hand over the heart thing. Gradually the custom will change, as well it should.

Just imagine thousands of fans salutiing at NFL, MBA, and Major League Baseball games when the National Anthem is plalyed. It will telegraph a message to all others of how many have served this country in the Armed Forces---it will be a positive and patroitic message.

You can help by putting the word out in your organizations, which are made up of patriots like you and me. Thanks, my friend.

Vernon B.

Now, I'm not so sure how I feel about this. Before I read this email, I would have said it's a privilege ONLY for those who wear the uniform. What do you think?

Ellie

maspotente2
03-23-06, 07:08 AM
I have saluted both ways. I prefer saluting. We have earned that right.

BOOGIEMAN44
03-23-06, 07:46 AM
I Agree, We Who Have Been There, Have Earned The Right To Salute.

firefly109
03-23-06, 08:11 AM
i also agree we should all be allowed to salute.

sgt e5 1954-1962

beaufort bob
03-23-06, 09:53 AM
I agree with all that has been said providing the veteran is "covered" with some kind of cap or hat. It's always been a sign of respect.

jgorosco
03-23-06, 10:37 AM
I always thought that a Marine shows his respect for the Anthem or Colors passing by Standing at Attention when not in uniform. That is what I always do at baseball and football games. But if you feel you deserve to salute then by all means salute or do what you feel necessary but always remember to take that ballcap or cowboy hat off during the Anthem or Colors passing

outlaw3179
03-23-06, 10:52 AM
Marines dont salute indoors unless under arms and they do not salute without a cover. My opinion and I have done this before at games and such is to stand at the position of attention. I definetly wouldnt criticize anyone for saluting becuase it is true. All veterans have earned it, but for me a good position of attention, or a hand over my heart is what I will do. Just like Orosco metioned though a good sign of respect is to always remove your cover during the anthem.

recon532002
03-23-06, 11:53 AM
I agree a cover or under arms to salute for Marine Corp, but other branches are different. I would say if you served you earned and do it how you were taught.
Semper Fi RECON

Camper51
03-23-06, 03:03 PM
My pride in OUR colors says I MUST stand at attention during the National Anthem, even if it takes 15 minutes (as it did one one special occasion for me). If indoors I will salute with my hand over my heart, if outdoors I will remove my cover and salute with my hand over my heart. However if I am wearing my Marine Corps cover or one of my hats that has the Marine Corps emblem on it.... I use a proper hand salute to the brim of my cover. I feel there is absolutely nothing wrong in saluting the flag in any way your heart tells you to.........as long as the salute is full of respect and honor

Semper Fi
:marine:

mrbsox
03-23-06, 06:31 PM
A few interesting view points. I like the idea of a (proper) hand salute if wearing a Marine endorsed cover. While I have a (genuine) MarPat set of utilities, I do not wear them as they are ACTIVE uniform. But I often wear my SATEEN utility cover, starched of course.

In the past, I have always removed my cover, hand over my heart, and let the tears flow free. And a hearty OHRA at the end. Some times an echo comes back my way. :marine:

But I think I'll adopt the hand salute, if covered. After all,
ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE, in uniform or not.