PDA

View Full Version : Mom needs to talk to someone

sgreenmom
03-20-06, 03:37 PM
]I don't know how to do this, sorry

sgreenmom
03-20-06, 03:40 PM
Is there anyone out there that can let me know if it is okay to send power bars to recruits?

Phantom Blooper
03-20-06, 03:54 PM
sgreenmom,send nothing except letters. But I have read so much on these posts that it would be best to check with your Marines recruiter. Type into a search engine the recruit depots name PI or San Diego and there are forums answered by some drill instructors that can answer this accurately for you. While I was in the best advice was to send nothing except letters while in bootcamp training as everything else needed was provided.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

GySgtRet
03-20-06, 04:03 PM
I would say not to send anything other than letters, lots of letters. But check things may have changed.

Static_Sky25
03-20-06, 05:42 PM
(2003) we were allowed to have "care packs" like the "personal" (like you can grab at the checkout stand) sized bags of M&Ms along with the deoderants and the toothpastes.... but yes it is adviseable to check the PI or SD Q/A forums because heach PLT is different. How ever the recruits are only allowed to have the "Pogiebait" on sundays after religious services during freetime
:thumbup:

marinefamily5
03-20-06, 06:22 PM
When I went thru bootcamp we were aloud to get power bars BUT.............we were not aloud to eat them ourself. What they did is they collected them up and they were put in a footlocker and when they got enough for the PLT and the PLT did good things they were handed out to the PLT as a hole. It was that hole team work thing. hope this helps

USMC-FO
03-20-06, 07:10 PM
My first inclination would be to send nothing. But in 62 when I was at PI things were different. Noticing some of the other comments perhaps things have loosened up a touch. That being the case perhaps send enough "power bars" for the entire platoon. Then the team will all benefit..or all suffer... I suppose depending on how the DI reacts. We had a recruit Rao whose mother sent a package of Oreo's BAD MOVE Poor Rao had to eat the entire package chased with a canteen of warm water followed by a session of PT until he blew chunks all over the deck...which of course he then had to field day to a spotless state. Actually as I think back 44 years that was pretty funny!!

marinefamily5
03-20-06, 07:50 PM
sounds pretty funny if i do say so myself...........LMAO

Old Marine
03-20-06, 08:23 PM
(2003) we were allowed to have "care packs" like the "personal" (like you can grab at the checkout stand) sized bags of M&Ms along with the deoderants and the toothpastes.... but yes it is adviseable to check the PI or SD Q/A forums because heach PLT is different. How ever the recruits are only allowed to have the "Pogiebait" on sundays after religious services during freetime
:thumbup:

Marines now get Pogi Bait. That's amazing. I never ever thought it would come to this in Marine Corps Boot Camp.

Old Marine
03-20-06, 08:25 PM
sgreenmom: The reason the Marine Corps does not want you to send anything but letters is that there is no where to store the food that you send and it draws mice, rats, ants spiders and other rodents. Sorry.....

lovdog
03-22-06, 12:40 PM
Dear Mom:

The reason he's going to boot camp is to cut the apron strings!! Its time for the little guy to grow up - and to make you proud!! They will give him enough to eat while in training anyway. Sometimes, as alot of us here at the site will attest to - something as small as a "power bar" can cause a ton of grief for a recruit. He'll be okay for a couple of months away from " the barn"!! He's with his second family!!
SF

MillRatUSMC
03-22-06, 02:56 PM
Wait till he says that the Drill Instructors have given permission to send those "power bars"...yes things are different now than when we went through.
2006 is a whole lot different than 1957...they're even allowed gator aid, that will come in handy when they're going through the crucible...

redneck13
03-23-06, 05:47 PM
:evilgrin: Ma'am? Being a former Drill Instructor, keepin' in touch with other Drill Instructor's and some just graduating? Just send your Son good letter's with lot's of encouragement, support, no gum, candy, no nuttin'. He'll pay the price. It's considered contraband. Just the way the Corps is now. Send my support to him---hang tough--you'll never forget it. SF to him and Mom/Dad/Family.

DobbinsBlythe
03-26-06, 12:49 AM
When my fiancee wrote me the first time from Parris Island (around February 28th I got the letter), he stated that power bars, gatoraid/poweraid powder (in the form of the pre-mixed container, not the packets) and cough drops were ok. I guess that's what his SDI said was OK. He really was happy to get cough drops. Also, he was allowed to receive some vitamins. Try writing to your recruit and ask him what's ok to send. I'm thinking it all depends on each individual's superior. Honestly, I think the recruits catch enough hell for just being alive haha. Don't do anything that might make it worse. Mine's already severely homesick.

-Maria

Mama
03-26-06, 03:11 AM
Hello fellow Mom :)

Nothing but what they ask for

Every SDI has different things they will allow, but until you know for sure or your recruit asks for them...
stick to letters.

G-d Bless your recruit

suehun
03-26-06, 01:09 PM
When my son was in boot camp we sent rice krispie treats per his request. Only thing was he said you had to send enough for the whole group. There were 85 in his platoon. So when we sent stuff we sent a lot of stuff. The DI's would take it and give it out as it was earned.

We also sent Power Bars to my nephew while he was in boot camp. Same thing, sent a lot at once and they had to earn them.

Hope this helps.

sgreenmom
04-06-06, 02:22 PM
Hi Static, Thanks for the information I did send power bars it just took a long time for him to get them. I will get to see him graduate in one week and I am very excited. I am sure you went through all of those emotions. I have had trouble with my computer and could not send messages.
Will talk later again thanks sgreen