PDA

View Full Version : Quantico Band first Marine Corps Band to play Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

thedrifter
12-03-02, 08:43 AM
NEW YORK CITY -- The Marine Corps Band from Quantico made history on Thanksgiving. They were the first Marine band to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade since the parade's inception in 1924.

The band marched the two and a half miles down Broadway and performed for more than 70 million people world-wide. "I think it was outstanding," said SSgt. Joseph W. Streeter, Drum Major for the Quantico Band. "It was a chance to get Marines in Dress Blues in front of the world. It really motivated me."

While most people were on the sidewalks or at their televisions warm and with their families, the Marines entertained them with numerous patriotic songs, to include: America, Semper Fidelis, God Bless America and of course The Marine's Hymn. After the Marines finish what do they do then? What about their Thanksgiving?

"The band was motivated," said Streeter. "We made history and the Marines families are going to have their Thanksgiving on Friday instead."

Who knows maybe they will stay a part of the Macy's Parade tradition. The Marine Corps is known for honoring their traditions from the past. Maybe this will become a future tradition.

Sempers,

Roger

ladileathrnek
12-03-02, 08:47 AM
OH yes, those civilians love to see a Marine in Blues. I have been in downtown San Francisco when I was on barracks duty and we were there for a parade or ceremony. Civilians would come up to ask if they could take pictures with us. Can't say I've ever paid for a drink when I was in blues....

Good to see them doing these parades. Its like going to 8th & I for the evening parade....civilians eat that up. Nothing likeit, it makes your heart beat and tugs you down to your soul.