PDA

View Full Version : Teens get weekend full of life as a Marine

thedrifter
03-19-06, 09:02 AM
Teens get weekend full of life as a Marine
San Diego Union ^ | March 19, 2006 | Rick Rogers

CAMP PENDLETON – About 300 teenagers from as far away as Las Vegas got a taste of Marine Corps life this weekend, and many came away impressed by the service and what they accomplished.

Called the Crucible Challenge, the annual event offers four-member teams the chance to compete for bragging rights through a series of physically demanding events. It is loosely based on the basic-training Crucible, a grueling 54-hour event that recruits must pass to become Marines. The main purpose of the Crucible Challenge is to humanize the Marine Corps in the hopes that one of these teenagers – or a friend – will enlist.

“This shows the kids a different side of the Marine Corps than is shown in the media,” said Sgt. Valerie Martinez, a spokeswoman for the San Diego Recruiting Station.

“It shows them that we have real jobs. We just don't go to war,” Martinez said. “It is important for these kids to see that we are normal people so that they can see themselves being one of us.”

The teenagers, ages 14 to 17, arrived Friday and were greeted by drill instructors who loudly told them what to do and when to do it. Adding flavor to their military experience, the teenagers spent the night in open squad bays and ate in a chow hall before tackling the Crucible Challenge's 10 events, which included an inflatable obstacle course and something called the House of Pain.

Adam Romain, a 17-year-old senior from El Camino High School, didn't mind any of it. Adam and his teammates from the Oceanside school seemed to like it more the harder it got.

“I love the (physical training) and the drills,” an out-of-breath Adam said after one of five exercises within the taped-off area that was the House of Pain.

Adam said he can't wait to be a Marine and follow in the footsteps of his two uncles.

“It gives me a sense of pride knowing I'm going to do something great for my country,” he said. “Honor, courage and commitment aren't just words. I want to do something for my country.”

Said Richard Johnson, 17, also from El Camino High: “All this motivates me more to be a Marine. It shows me where I need to improve. There is good leadership in the Marine Corps that I want to be part of.”

Those were the kind of recruits – and the kind of responses – that Maj. John McDonough wanted to hear.

McDonough commands the San Diego Recruiting Station. His region covers 95,000 square miles and 168 schools in Southern California, Nevada and southern Utah.

In a typical year his recruiters will enlist 1,200 young men and women, with 50 more going to Officer Candidate School. It's hard to make a direct correlation between attending a Crucible Challenge and enlisting, McDonough said. If past years are any indication, less then 20 of these teenagers will join the Marine Corps.

But success is not measured in recruits alone.

“These kids will spread the Marine Corps' message much better (to other teenagers) than we can, because they speak the same language,” he said. “That's why we do this.”

Stephanie Negrete, 16, a sophomore from Southwest High School in El Centro, might be who McDonough had in mind.

Negrete, a cheerleader, said she came here “to see if I could do it.”

“I wanted to see if I could be a Marine,” Negrete said, a lavender wildflower tucked behind her left ear. “And I did good!”

“I think I could do it if I really wanted to, although there are no doors in the bathroom and they woke us up early,” Negrete said.

Asked what she would remember.

“The Marines are cool!” she said giving two thumbs up.

LittleDevilDog
03-19-06, 10:49 AM
Oooh Raah!

FutureMarine630
03-19-06, 03:56 PM
How do we get into that program?