PDA

View Full Version : This is rather... I dunno what to think.

Darwins Greed
12-03-02, 04:25 AM
While I was looking for a copy of the MCR Toys for Tots Commercial, I came across this news article at a university web site:

"Man Disappointed By Marines' Lack Of

Local resident, Howard Dershman expected more from the U.S. Marines. He expected to creep through an ancient pyramid, narrowly evade quicksand, crawl up the sheer face of a rock cliff, and slay the lava monster with nary but a sword.
“I saw these commercials for the Marines, man, and I was like ‘whoa, I want to slay a knight, too!’” said Dershman. “So I went down to the recruiting office and signed right up! Man, there’s no beasts to slay here....what a freakin’ gyp!”

Dershman filed a complaint, calling the commercials “misleading,” and citing 84 differences between the actual experience of being a Marine and the TV ad. When asked about the controversy, Alan Toreman, the man who directed the ads, commented “I know I shouldn’t say this, but come on...the guy’s a class A moron.” When asked what constituted a class “B” moron, Toreman declined comment.

“The closest thing we have here at the camp, is this dumbass obstacle course,” said Dershman. “You crawl through the mud...no knights, no monsters...and if you say ‘forsooth,’ the drill sergeant kicks you in the balls.”

The U.S. Marine Corp intends to settle this matter privately, forcing him to watch back to back episodes of “Hercules: The Legendary Journeys” and “Xena: Warrior Princess,” until he never wants to fight a poorly rendered CGI monster, ever again. "

What do you guys think, is there any truth to this? It sounds like a load of crap to me.
Oh Yeah, anybody know where I can find a copy of the Commercial? :)

gunnyg
12-03-02, 06:10 AM
reference for this article would you?

Dick Gaines

Darwins Greed
12-03-02, 06:12 AM
Well, I have a web address:

http://www.expulsion.org/editions/edition2006/firebeast.cfm

Does that help?

gunnyg
12-03-02, 06:26 AM
Yeh, when ya post something w/a reference as to its origin, it precludes others from thinking perhaps the story is not authentic in origin.

DickG

ladileathrnek
12-03-02, 08:42 AM
I love the latest commercial where the Marine climbs the mountain which depicts the Iwo Jima in the background and is met at the top by his predecessors...salutes and they become one.....OOHRAH!!!!!

The BOY who joined for the dragons just needs to visit a VA hospital and let those Marines tell him about the dragons he will meet, conquer or deal with ....he obviously didn't pay attention in school when they were teaching metaphors....

vance
12-04-02, 04:00 PM
A box of rocks comes to mind.

gunnyg
12-04-02, 04:04 PM
Actually, this story............actually it's little different than the story today about United Airlines duct-taping wings, or the one about DOD installing computer chips in phony bugles to play taps, etc.

We could go on and on w/these things!

How crazy can things get?

Never mind--I don't want to know--1984 is here now--and it's not going away!

DickG

Gary
12-04-02, 04:12 PM
I think this guys has been playing waaaayyyyyyy to many Video games :no: he needs to get a reality check and soon.

ecomsg68
12-04-02, 07:11 PM
... commercials are fabrications of truth! Not far removed from propagandas and lies, we all know it! The AD people know, the TV people know it, the government knows it and everyone in between knows it!

What moon rock did this guy come from or maybe he does believe in illusions and fluff fluff! Something like a young King Arthur pulling an embedded EXCALIBER from an anvil rising from a lake containing mermaids.

This is a joke ... right?

:no: :thumbdown

gunnyg
12-04-02, 07:38 PM
A joke? Really?

Do you really think a lawyer is going to turn down $$$/publicity to file a lawsuit?

Ha!

DickG

virwar
12-04-02, 08:10 PM
Recruit, I don't want to see you until you have a box of grid squares in your right hand and a bucket of prop wash in your left hand. Do you understand me!?! Freakin' Brain Children. Dave out.

badbob
12-05-02, 12:05 PM
Clearly this PUKE has never run the USMC Obstacle Course or the Confidence Course with a fire breathing DI on his back.

I remember the first time I looked down from the platform on the SLIDE for LIFE,

In retrospect, I think I would have preferred taking on a Dragon at ground level.

Semper Fi,
Bob

JinxJr
12-07-02, 02:10 PM
I'm with Bob ! So, this DOPE finds 84 differences between the TV ad and actually being a Marine based on...what ? Certainly not his vast experience as a Marine. His reality check has already bounced ! This guy probably has a poster of the Serta Sheep over his bed and Boy, are they nervous !