PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious

gonavy_81
12-02-02, 08:40 PM
I many my know, I am not in the United States Marine Corps. but my goal is to become a Navy Corpsman.

I was curious, What is the difference between a Fleet Marine Force, a Marine Expeditionary Force, and a Marine Regiment?

Are all of the Units considered to be "Infantry"?

Also for those who were in the Marine Corps, I know yall stayed in the barracks for your division, but where did your Corpsman stay?

Could a Corpsman stay in the same barracks as His Marines?

How does a Corpsman earn the Uniform? The kakki uniform? And are they still allowed to wear it?

I saw recently on the United States Marine Corps main website, that the Marine Corps is trying to make all senior NCO's I believe it's a brown belt in the martial arts program. My last question was: Can a Corpsman take this?

That was my last question but I have another one: What do Marines look for in Corpsman?

And how can a new Corpsman earn the respect of the Marine he is Serving?

I hope this was not to many question or I seem to be askin something not important, but I just would like to know so that when I get the chance to be a Corpsman, I can know how to be the best I can be.

Thanks for your time.

Lance

firstsgtmike
12-03-02, 06:28 AM
I was curious, What is the difference between a Fleet Marine Force, a Marine Expeditionary Force, and a Marine Regiment?

Are all of the Units considered to be "Infantry"?

Also for those who were in the Marine Corps, I know yall stayed in the barracks for your division, but where did your Corpsman stay?

Could a Corpsman stay in the same barracks as His Marines?

How does a Corpsman earn the Uniform? The kakki uniform? And are they still allowed to wear it?

I saw recently on the United States Marine Corps main website, that the Marine Corps is trying to make all senior NCO's I believe it's a brown belt in the martial arts program. My last question was: Can a Corpsman take this?

That was my last question but I have another one: What do Marines look for in Corpsman?

And how can a new Corpsman earn the respect of the Marine he is Serving?

I hope this was not to many question or I seem to be askin something not important, but I just would like to know so that when I get the chance to be a Corpsman, I can know how to be the best I can be.

Son,

I don't have all the answers, but I will give it my best shot.

Difference between FMF, MEF, and a Regiment? The easiest answer to understand, though not necessarily the correct one, a Regiment is the lowest building block for the FMF or the MEF.

Except for the Regiment, the other units are reinforced by armor, artillery, and air support.

Where did the Corpsmen stay? In the field, there are NO barracks. An attached Corpman stayed with us.

A Corpsman wears the uniform, but has his own insignia other than the eagle, globe and anchor.

(I arrived in DaNang, VN in Sept. '66. Our planes were picking up passengers to return to CONUS. I saw a man, full combat gear, helmet on web belt, Flak vest, and grenades hanging from the vest. Combat sling on his rifle, and taped magazines. Hello John Wayne. Whenl I saw his Corpsmen's insignia, I wanted to take his place on the plane out of there.)

Your last two questions. Easy answer for those of us who have been there. Live up to your traditions, live up to your ideals.

What do Marines look for in Corpsmen? The same as I do in my own life. Live up to your ideals, fulfill your responsibilities, and be able to shame ANYONE who suggests otherwise.

gonavy_81
12-03-02, 03:53 PM
Thankyou First Sgt. for your relply

Lance

WMjets
07-17-04, 02:03 PM
WHO LET THE NAVY GUY IN HERE!!! ;) njust kiddin'.

I'm not a Marine yet, only a midshipman so I don't know first hand about these things, but here's some of the info that I've gathered over the years. Corpsmen attached to Marine infantry units follow their unit everywhere, and therefore have most of the same requirements as the Marines they serve with. Some even take the PFT instead of the PRT (or PFA... whatever they're calling it now). I know that there is some type of special qualification that corpsmen who serve with Marines can get if they fulfill all of the Marine's requirements, and it helps you with the promotion process.

Keep in mind this is second-hand information. I tried not to bother putting down anything that I didn't remember for sure, but I am human. Make sure you double-check any of this info before acting on it.

Good luck,
Jo

HardJedi
07-20-04, 07:58 PM
A corpsman to earn respect? If he is serving with an infantry unit it is THIS simple. Be more of a Marine than a squid. Stay in shape, keep your hair cut to Marine regs, not Navy, keep up on PT, and when one of your Marines is in danger, or injured, never hesitate. I owe my life to a Navy corpsman, and he was good to go. At the same time, I know of another Corpsman who cost a couple of Marines thier careers because of his ineptitude.

Just as with all others in the military, do your job, and do it well, and pull your own wieght, and you will earn thier respect.