PDA

View Full Version : Hepatitis C haunts some vets

thedrifter
03-18-06, 08:09 AM
Hepatitis C haunts some vets

By: MIKE SCHUSTER - For the North County Times

Sex, drugs and jet injectors. Now that I have your undivided attention about scary military programs, I would like to squelch a rumor: No veteran has ever had service connected Hepatitis C, which was transmitted by the "infamous" military "jet injector" inoculation guns.

That rumor is wrong, not true or simply false.

The truth: just the opposite, veterans with Hepatitis C are eligible for VA benefits.

Veterans who were subjected to inoculations during induction by "jet injector" guns may have been exposed to Hepatitis C. Most of these veterans were inoculated during the 60s and 70s as the military has since stopped using this method. As scientific studies now show, jet injector guns could be a source of transmission for Hepatitis C and other blood borne diseases.

Of course the V.A. warns us that Hepatitis may be transmitted by multiple sexual partners, drug use (sharing needles), tattoos, body piercings, and even transmitted at birth by an infected mother. (www.hepatitis.va.gov)

Years ago, a Vietnam-era vet was reluctant to report his Hepatitis to the VA in fear of being accused of being a drug addict, sexual deviant or something non-related to the military.

V.A. Offices throughout the U.S. have now granted claims for Hepatitis C related to jet injector gun inoculations, including New York, San Diego, and Nevada including the Veterans Board of Appeals.

My fellow County Veteran Advocate, Ken Moore, of Monroe County, Rochester, N.Y., was one of the first advocates to have a Hepatitis C claim related to Jet Injectors granted. Ken can be reached at (585) 274-6040 or via e-mail kenmoore@rochester.rr.com.

Hepatitis is a disease that can take several years to show up in a veteranís blood, therefore there is no proof of disease while in service, but with a doctorís opinion and the scientific studies a veteran can get his claim approved by the V.A. Years ago there was no test for Hepititas C and it was often referred to as non-Hep A or non-Hep B.

The V.A. does a good job of screening its veterans for Hepatitis C so if you havenít been tested recently, contact your local V.A. or private health care provider.

The days of being accused of being another "Vietnam Vet drug user" are over; science has shown the medical community that "Jet Inoculators" were an unsafe means to inoculate hundreds of personnel at one time.

These "Jet Injectors" were not just used on "In-country" vets but almost all military inductees for many years. So it does not matter whether you served in-country, Europe or stateside ---- as a veteran you need to be checked. It is done with a simple blood test.

As we used to say when I was flying on dust-off missions in Vietnam, take the test "So others may live."

Mike Schuster is a San Diego County Veterans representative. Call at (760) 643-2049 or e-mail: mgs@cts.com.

Ellie