PDA

View Full Version : Marine at drowning hearing calls pool training 'rite of passage'

thedrifter
03-17-06, 11:17 AM
March 17. 2006 8:54AM <br />
Marine at drowning hearing calls pool training 'rite of passage' <br />
The Associated Press <br />
<br />
Minutes before he died, an exhausted and scared Marine begged a swimming course...

hrscowboy
03-17-06, 11:36 AM
What in the world has got into these people damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

yellowwing
03-17-06, 01:59 PM
The report also found that no lifeguards were focused on watching for Marines in peril.
That's the damning part. The training is valid, whoever was supervising the defendant did not do their job.

Dateline NBC did a story on this. Out about four people interviewed and presented, only one was saying, "Hey this is the United Stated Marine Corps, of course the training is harsh."

ssgtH
03-17-06, 03:06 PM
The Marine Corps Would Not Be What It Is Today Without The Type Of Training That We Do. That Being Said, Where In The Helllllllllll Were The Other Staff Nco's That Must Have Been There. Not Only The Staff At The Swim Tank, But The Class Seems To Have Had At Least One Gysgt In It As Well.

Old Marine
03-17-06, 08:12 PM
If this is what happened then they need to throw the book at anyone involved, including the OIC.

hrscowboy
03-17-06, 11:32 PM
I agree gunny there is no reason what so ever for this to happen to another brother..

thedrifter
03-18-06, 07:59 AM
March 17, 2006 <br />
Drowning scene described as ‘out of control’ <br />
Associated Press <br />
<br />
SAN DIEGO — Minutes before he died, an exhausted and scared Marine begged a swimming course instructor not to drag...

Since1775
03-18-06, 10:11 AM
When I went into Boot Camp, I didn’t know how to swim (was never in the water before that). I was afraid of heights, out of shape. Never had any discipline prior, yes I was a punk. I graduated from Boot Camp and I was a MARINE.

Not Everyone can be a Marine.

FYI I almost drowned in that pool. After 11 exhausting hours I learned how to swim.

redneck13
03-18-06, 12:59 PM
I went with all my Platoon's to swim survival classes. As well as the one in that same pool as a recruit. I also taught scuba diving lesson's in that very pool as an instructor. This to me is the...