View Full Version : Helping to make a home away from home:

thedrifter
03-17-06, 11:08 AM
March 17, 2006

Helping to make a home away from home:
HH Marines volunteer with Operation USO Care Package

by Tia Bracey
Henderson Hall News

"Home is all you think about when you're deployed," said motor transportation operator, Cpl. Frank Donato. "I've been deployed to Iraq twice and I know how it feels when a care package arrives. When you're out there, many times you are waiting on receiving your next letter, and mail call becomes extremely important."

In an effort to support troops, various Henderson Hall Marines volunteered to prepare care packages that will be sent to deployed service members. To alleviate some of the possible home sickness deployed troops may experience, the United Services Organization (USO) sends service members care packages containing various items that can give them the memories of being home.

"By sending these care packages we provide a little bit of home for soldiers out in a war zone," said program manager, Chad Best.

The USO created Operation USO Care Package to boost morale for troops and provide a safe and secure way for the public to show their support, described Best. Operation USO Care Package developed post-September 11 after the anthrax threats sent to Senators Leahy and Daschle. The Department of Defense decided to suspend its practice of forwarding correspondence and personal care packages from the American public to "any service member."

On a monthly basis, Company NCOIC Sgt. Rashad Parker and Company Clerk Cpl. Jorge Cortez coordinate the event by sending out e-mails notifying Marines of the USO care packaging is taking place. Marines interested in participating respond back to them, and are afforded the opportunity to go to Ft. Belvoir, Va and participate in preparing care packages at the USO warehouse.

"On average we get 12 to 13 Marines to volunteer," said Cortez. "It is a great success. We have a great amount of Marines willing to participate. I hope we can continue helping the USO."

Last Thursday, the Marines prepared items to help the USO prepare for their usual "stuffing party" which took place Saturday. At the stuffing party, the items are packed in the care packages and completed for distribution.

"Since I can't be there I will find a way to help my fellow Marines," said motor transportation dispatcher, Sgt. Luigi Morillas. "I enjoy the experience and think it is a good program and would encourage my fellow Marines to participate."

Morillas has volunteered for the USO three times.

"We move about 20,000 to 45,000 care packages on a monthly basis," said Best. "We are a staff of three; therefore, we rely heavily on our volunteers. To date there has been more than 800,000 care packages distributed, $21 million worth of donations of product, and $11 million cash donations made," explained Best.

"The Operation USO care package is outstanding," said Supply Purchasing Clerk, Cpl. Christian Estevez. "If I were out there I would want the same thing: Marines at home helping us out in the fight."

The USO organization is chartered by Congress as a non-profit, charitable corporation and has been in existence since before the United States entered World War II, serving as a liaison between the American people and the U.S. military. Although the President and Department of Defense endorse the USO, it is not a part of the United States Government. In times of peace and war, the mission of the USO is to deliver its special brand of comfort, morale and recreational services to service members and their families. This year the USO celebrates its 45th Anniversary.

For more information on Operation USO Care Package visit www.usocares.com.

Ellie