PDA

View Full Version : Fonda Resolution Shot Down

kentmitchell
03-17-06, 07:35 AM
Fonda resolution shot down
Sonji Jacobs
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Friday, March 17, 2006

Jane Fonda's anti-Vietnam War activism trumps her community service work, the Georgia Senate concluded Thursday.
Senators reversed their day-old approval of a resolution honoring the actress for her charitable work in Georgia, voting down the measure because of the anti-war activities of "Hanoi Jane."
"Honoring Jane Fonda, no matter how much good work she might be doing now, would be the equivalent of this Senate spitting on every person who has ever worn the uniform of this country," Sen. John Douglas (R-Covington), a retired Army major, told his colleagues. He received a standing ovation from several senators.
The controversy started Wednesday when Sen. Steen Miles (D-Decatur) introduced a resolution to honor Fonda for her community work, especially her role as founder and chairwoman of the Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention. The group provides safe homes for pregnant teens and pairs them with women who offer support during the pregnancy, birth, and weeks after delivery.
The resolution was one of a dozen hastily read, mostly ceremonial measures that were approved Wednesday without fanfare or comment. The Senate approves hundreds of similar resolutions each year.
But senators decided to rethink Senate Resolution 1189 after Douglas, chairman of the Senate Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, alerted his colleagues to the Fonda resolution.
Miles tried Thursday to withdraw the resolution, but the Senate Republican majority forced a vote. The resolution failed, 38-1.
"I am deeply sorry that a simple, routine resolution honoring the tireless efforts of Ms. Jane Fonda to prevent teen pregnancies in our state would cause such a firestorm," said Miles, who said she received numerous calls from supporters as well as detractors.
"All this month, Women's History Month, I have along with my female colleagues attempted to honor women who have made significant contributions to our state."
Miles said that her brother and former husband served in Vietnam, and that her daughter is a major in the Army reserves. "Make no mistake, I have a deep and abiding respect and love for our men and women warriors," Miles said.
Fonda's anti-war activities in the 1960s and 1970s earned her the enduring enmity of legions of Vietnam War veterans.
In 1972, she notoriously posed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun used against American forces.
The two-time Academy Award winner, who moved to Atlanta when she married Ted Turner, has since said that she regretted that gesture. But she has spoken out against the current Iraq war and on controversial political and social issues.
"To a person, we are happy that they voted down the resolution," Marvin Myers, president of the Georgia Vietnam Veterans Alliance said Thursday. "I do not know one Vietnam veteran who thinks Jane Fonda is anything but scum."
Sen. Emanuel Jones (D-Ellenwood), the only senator to vote in favor of the resolution, said that he did so to protest the Senate's refusal to honor Miles' request to withdraw the resolution.
Jones also said it was unfortunate that lawmakers could not separate the good work that Fonda's teen pregnancy prevention program has done from her personality.
"I would have liked to see the resolution honor the organization itself," Jones said.
Fonda did not ask for the honorary resolution, Miles said. She said she decided to withdraw the measure after receiving a call from Fonda's office asking her to do so.
A publicist for Fonda did not respond to a request for comment.

Sen. John Douglas' speech on Fonda resolution
john.douglas@senate.ga.gov

Yesterday this Senate passed Senate Resolution 1189, as it would any other privilege resolution, without fanfare or debate. But as the gavel came down and I heard the name of Jane Fonda, I immediately knew that we had made a terrible mistake that stained the honor, not only of this Senate, but of this state. I can think of no living American who is less worthy of this honor than Jane Fonda. She is as guilty of treason as Benedict Arnold and Tokyo Rose. She betrayed her country in wartime. She worked for our defeat. She visited American POWs, not to help them, but as the guest of the enemy. She betrayed them by not reporting back to our own government what she had seen. She was photographed in enemy anti-aircraft guns aiming at our own pilots, wearing parts of the enemy uniform. In 1969 at the University of Michigan she said "We should get down on our knees and pray that this country will one day become communist." In 1972 she spoke on Radio Hanoi where she called our soldiers "war criminals" and said that we are fighting in an unlawful war. In 1973, of returning prisoners of war, she called them liars after they said they were mistreated, starved, beaten and brainwashed.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Senate, honoring Jane Fonda, no matter how much good work she might be doing now, would be the equivalent of this Senate spitting on every person who has ever worn the uniform of this country. Let's honor every Georgian who answered the call of our nation to serve in Vietnam and every other war, and never ever forget those who did not return. We cannot, we must not allow this resolution to stand unchallenged. We have a stellar track record of supporting our troops and veterans. Let's not throw that away. I ask that the Senate vote yes to reconsider.

thedrifter
03-17-06, 07:40 AM
Amen!

My mouth is shut now;)

Ellie