PDA

View Full Version : 'I'm going to miss him'

thedrifter
03-17-06, 06:54 AM
Article Launched: 03/17/2006 3:36 AM EST

'I'm going to miss him'

By MICHELE CANTY
Daily Record/Sunday News

Mar 17, 2006 — Even after losing her son in Iraq, Julie Snyder doesn't regret giving him permission to join the Marines.

When Matthew Snyder was a senior at Westminster High School in Maryland, he called his mother at work, said hi, and added, "I just enlisted in the Marines!"

"What?" she said.

He answered, "I just enlisted in the Marines, and I need you to sign for me."

She told him they'd talk about it when she got home.

Later, she and Matthew's father, Albert Snyder, gave their blessings for him to go into the Marines at 17. After graduation, he went to boot camp in 2003.

"He was a determined kid," said his mother, who lives in Westminster, Md. "He always knew what he wanted to do."

Earlier this month, U.S. Marines Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder volunteered for a gunner assignment. He was killed March 3 in Al Anbar province in Iraq after the Humvee he was riding in rolled over in a crash. He was 20.

His family buried him a week ago. This week, his mother said, "I'll never look at the word 'devastated' in the same light because now I know what devastated is."

Albert Snyder looked that way as he walked through the living room of his Spring Garden Township home Thursday evening. He ran a hand over a collage of pictures used at Matthew's funeral last week, staring down at them with sad eyes.

Next to the photos was an American flag that accompanied Matthew's body, neatly folded in a triangle box his father picked out this week. Around Albert Snyder, baskets of flowers and fruit were marked with notes of condolences.

The family has received more than 200 sympathy cards, he said.

"In one, someone said they showed Matthew's picture to their sons and told them, 'This is what a real hero looks like,'" Albert Snyder said.

Matthew's family has been comforted by the outpouring from their communities.

"They've made the most horrible time of our lives at least a little more bearable," Julie Snyder said.

At Matthew's funeral in Westminster, Md., about 50 bikers from the Patriot Guard Riders, a veterans' group, shielded the family and church from a group of Kansas protesters spewing anti-gay and anti-soldier messages.

Albert Snyder said the human shield worked. His family didn't know protesters attended until they saw and read news reports.

"(The Guard Riders) are wonderful," he said. "To me, they're angels who were sent there to help us through this."

As the funeral procession left St. John Catholic Church, students from its school lined the driveway, each waving an American flag. On street corners along the 15-mile drive to the veteran's cemetery where Matthew was buried, police officers stood and saluted the procession.

At the local fire station, the fire trucks had their flashing lights on, and the firefighters honored Matthew by putting their hands on their hearts.

On the marquee of his former elementary school, it read, "We'll Miss You Matt."

"I was just shocked," Albert Snyder said. "It was so amazing to see all these people paying tribute to Matthew."

With all the love shown to them that day, it was no place for the Kansas protesters, Matthew's parents said.

"I won't even comment on them. They don't deserve comment," Julie Snyder said.

This week, Matthew's family remembered his great sense of humor, his smile and the way his ears stuck out from under his U.S. Marines hat.

They recalled how he enjoyed spending time with his family, playing soccer and watching the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" comedians. He liked to laugh, tell jokes and plant whoopee cushions in people's seats.

For a small guy, he was tough and athletic. Matthew reveled in his weeks of basic training, his family said.

"This child loved boot camp," his mother said. "He said there were tough times but told me, 'I would do it again.'"

Matthew's aunt, Bonnie Snyder, said his death broke her heart. The 48-year-old doesn't have any children of her own, and Matthew was her only and favorite nephew, she said.

"He gave me the happiest 20 years of my life, and I'm going to miss him," the Halethorpe, Md., resident said. "He was just an all-around good kid."

At 20, Matthew had accomplished his dream of being a Marine and serving his country in war, said his sister, Sarah Snyder, who lives in Hanover. He made his family proud.

"Not many people have the guts to stand up for something they really believe in, and he certainly did," she said.

MATT SNYDER

Name: Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder

Military branch: Marines

Enlisted: Oct. 14, 2003

Unit: Combat Logistics Batallion-7, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

High school: Westminster High School, Maryland

Graduated: June 2003

Family: Parents Albert Snyder and Julia Snyder; sisters Sarah Anne Snyder and Tracie Lynne Snyder

Rest In Peace

Ellie