PDA

View Full Version : Post office being renamed to honor fallen war hero

thedrifter
03-16-06, 08:22 PM
Post office being renamed to honor fallen war hero
3/16/06
Marine Corporal Jason Dunham post office
WHEC-TV-10

A post office in the Allegany County Town of Scio will be renamed to honor a fallen war hero. During his visit to Rochester Tuesday, President Bush met with the family of Marine Corporal Jason Dunham who was killed in April 2004 in Iraq after he threw himself between a grenade and his fellow Marines.

While meeting with the Dunham family Tuesday the president signed a bill allowing the post office to be renamed. When the plaques arrive they will read Corporal Jason Dunham Post Office making a visual reminder of Corporal Dunham's courage for generations to come.

It is an amazing story and now the topic of the book The Gift of Valor, the story of how the 22-year old Marine sacrificed himself to save his band of brothers. Inside is the story of how he protected his fellow marines by throwing his helmet onto a live grenade during an attack. It saved the lives of others, but Corporal Dunham died 8 days later. “I'm not surprised Jason did what he did. I'd like to have him here with me now but I'm not surprised,” said his mother Deb Dunham.

She teaches at Scio Central School, Jason's alma mater. For a moment she put home economics aside to study her family's newest piece of history the day she and her family met President Bush. “I watched TV last night and I saw several people saying that he just did the visit here in New York to raise his ratings. I'm sorry they feel that way because he definitely did not use us for raising his ratings because he was there and he met with us on a personal level.”

They talked about her son, a Medal of Honor nominee. She is surprised how warm, compassionate and personable the president is. She game him a copy of The Gift of Valor and the president promised to read it. “I don't know that we'll ever be fully healed but it was very nice and it was very kind to have his actions recognized and appreciated. Generations from now the kids will be able to show their children this was named after my brother, this is what he did and they can go back forever and somebody in the town even if they move into the town who was Cpl. Dunham? This is who he was, this is what he did, and he’s going to be remembered.

http://www.10nbc.com/gfx/240/8100.jpg

Ellie