PDA

View Full Version : Marines, sailors observe 61st anniversary of Battle of Iwo Jima

thedrifter
03-16-06, 07:56 PM
Marines, sailors observe 61st anniversary of Battle of Iwo Jima
MCB Camp Butler
Story by Lance Cpl. C. Lindsay

IWO JIMA, Japan (March 16, 2006) -- Marines, sailors, U.S. and Japanese World War II veterans and their family members gathered at the Reunion of Honor Monument March 8 on Iwo Jima, Japan, in commemoration of the 61st anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

The ceremony honored service members killed during the battle and celebrated the current relationship between the U.S. and Japan.

Keith M. Little, a former Marine and Navajo code talker, was one of the 35 Iwo Jima veterans who shared their stories with the Marines that day.

“We faced much resistance (at Iwo Jima),” Little said. “Most of the fighting was personal confrontation.”

The Battle of Iwo Jima began on Feb. 19, 1945 at 8:30 a.m. when the order, “Land the landing force,” sent the first wave of Marines toward the shores of Iwo Jima. Once ashore, the Marines were slowed by the loose volcanic sand that made up the beach. Unable to find cover or concealment, the U.S. service members were exposed to persistent, enemy gun fire.

“We weren’t supposed to land here – they were saving us for Okinawa,” said Allan Lichens, a former Marine.

Marines used flame throwers and grenades to clear bunkers dug by the Japanese.
More than 100,000 men fought on the island, which is roughly one-third the size of Manhattan Island, New York.

After the battle, nearly 21,000 Japanese and more than 6,000 U.S. service members died. Most of the Japanese fought to the death, 200 were taken prisoner.

“One can almost hear the exploding ordnance and (smell the) stench of gun powder and death,” said retired Lt. Gen. Larry F. Snowden, an Iwo Jima veteran. “War is a poor way to solve differences.”

Many of the former U.S. and Japanese service members and their families shook hands and spoke with their former enemies.

“I didn’t want to come back initially, but the officials (in my group) wanted me to come,” Little said. “I feel good about coming back, compared to my initial visit as a warrior in February of 1945.”

For many of the veterans, this anniversary was the first time they had been back since landing on the black sands in early 1945.

“Perhaps time is the best healing, but healing leaves scars,” Snowden said. “We can only hope that over time, the scars will fade away. And we can seek together the peace our nations deserve.”

Ellie