PDA

View Full Version : Heeding the call, former Marine returned to action

thedrifter
03-16-06, 01:03 PM
Heeding the call, former Marine returned to action
Military - Capt. Jerry Brennan signed up for the Army Reserve after the Sept. 11 attacks
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Sgt. JOE LINDSAY
The Oregonian

NANGALAM, Afghanistan -- Recently, the U.S. Army Reserve ran an ad geared to former Marines and Marines near the end of active service. It read simply, "Sometimes the best soldier for the job . . . is a Marine."

In smaller print, it talked of continued benefits -- money for college, retirement.

But for one former Marine, answering the call to service in the Army Reserve had nothing to do with benefits or a recruiting campaign. It had, instead, everything to do with what he felt was right.

"I clearly remember the president, shortly after 9/11, asking each American to give two years back to their country," said U.S. Army Capt. Jerry Brennan, an aeromedical evacuation officer with the Salem-based 1042nd Medical Company, Air Ambulance, Oregon National Guard. "This is my way of giving something back."

Brennan returned to the United States this month after six months at Afghanistan's Jalalabad Airfield, where he flew a Blackhawk medevac helicopter, supporting the Marine Corps' Camp Blessing. Brennan, a graduate of the University of Oregon, served in the Marine Corps as a pilot from 1984 to 1992.

Why he joined the Marines: "My dad, Tony Brennan, was my biggest influence in joining the Marine Corps. He received a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and sustained multiple combat injuries in Vietnam."

Sept. 11, 2001: "I was originally born in New York and had recently relocated my wife, Sara, and our children, Emma, 6, and Charlie, 2, back to Oregon just prior to the attack. A friend of mine was killed working in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11. Also, my brother was Rudy Giuliani's speechwriter and was there with the mayor when the towers came down. I joined the Oregon National Guard shortly after Sept. 11."

Deployment isn't easy: "My dad passed away shortly before we deployed. He was my hero. . . . Being away from my family is definitely the most difficult part of being deployed."

What he'll do now: "I am going back to work for Welch Allyn Inc., a diagnostic medical company that makes the patient monitors in our Blackhawk helicopters. They have treated me and my family very well and have gone well beyond their call of duty by supporting me on my deployment."

Semper Fi: "I believe I was selected for the position to work with the Marines here in Afghanistan because of my prior Marine Corps service. I hold a special place in my heart for fellow Marines -- I think all Marines do."

What others say about him: "Captain Brennan has reached a sort of folk-hero status out here at Camp Blessing among the Marines, because we've seen him come into hot (landing zones) under enemy fire and risk his life to save ours. We all heard that there's a former Marine pilot out here with the 1042nd, and that makes us feel like we've got a guardian angel in Captain Brennan." -- Sgt. Michael Chambers, platoon sergeant for Charlie Company, 3rd Platoon, in the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment.

"Captain Brennan puts it on the line to help us in tight spots. As far as we're concerned, he's a Marine serving in the Army. Nothing wrong with that. Once a Marine, always a Marine." -- Sgt. Brent Wright, platoon guide with Charlie Company, 3rd Platoon.

"He is a fine officer. And I've been around long enough to know. He's the best of the best." -- Army Staff Sgt. Larrie Ericson, 36-year veteran of the Oregon National Guard attached to the 1042nd.

Sgt. Joe Lindsay is a combat correspondent for the 1st Battalion, 3rd Regiment out of Hawaii, currently deployed to Afghanistan. A version of this article was published in the Hawaii Marine, a base newspaper.

Ellie