PDA

View Full Version : 38 city police thanked for military service

thedrifter
03-16-06, 06:19 AM
38 city police thanked for military service
Department honors double dedication

Alan Morrell
Staff writer

(March 16, 2006) — There have been plenty of days when Rochester police Sgt. Marvin Stepherson completed an eight-hour shift, grabbed a few hours sleep and headed to Buffalo for military service early the next day.

And then, of course, he returned to Rochester for another police shift. Then he tried to cram in a few more hours of sleep and — oh yeah — make time for his wife and three children.

"I love what I do, but it can be very taxing," said Stepherson, who is in his eighth year as a member of the Coast Guard Reserve and also served eight years with the Marines. "It's tough, making sure your family is taken care of when you're gone and juggling the demands of both departments. It's a dedication to help those who can't help themselves."

Stepherson's story is not that unusual among law enforcement personnel, whose members typically have a much higher percentage of representation in the armed forces than most professions. On Wednesday the Rochester Police Department honored 38 of its members, both sworn and nonsworn, for their military service in the war on terror.

The department had pins made with the words "Defending America" on a background of the U.S. flag and the Rochester Police Department patch.

The pins were given to the 38 members who were honored Wednesday, and will be available for their families and all city police. A plaque also was presented.

"I think it's great," said Stepherson's wife, Lena, who was at the ceremony at the Public Safety Building with their children: 9-year-old Blake, 6-year-old Shelby and 10-month-old Carmen. "He loves his (police) job and the military. Any acknowledgment is great."

Plans for such recognition started months ago, said acting Chief Timothy Hickey, who noted that one of his own sons, Ryan, celebrated his 23rd birthday in Baghdad with the Army.

"You make this department what it is, not only by your service to this community, but also by your service to your country," Hickey said.

"You have stepped up to the plate twice. We so much appreciate that. I'm honored to know you, and I commend each of you."

Hickey also recognized the family members for what they have gone through and the sacrifices they have made.

AMORRELL@DemocratandChronicle.com

Ellie