PDA

View Full Version : Marine hopes to get it write

thedrifter
03-16-06, 06:15 AM
Marine hopes to get it write

March 16,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Chris Pascale does most of his writing longhand, scrawling pen or pencil across loose-leaf sheets of paper or bound journals.

"It's more convenient," he said. "I can't always find a computer. You can write anywhere."

Even in Iraq.

Pascale, a corporal in the Marine Corps stationed at Camp Lejeune, published his first novel in February after returning from Iraq in September.

With three more novels in the pipe, the Marine currently working as a military policeman aboard the base doesn't plan to abandon the writing life anytime soon.

"It's a career," he said. "If you don't treat it like one, you won't be successful. I decided I would write every day. There's no exceptions, no excuses. It's a challenging field, most people don't make it. And most of the ones who do are bad at it."

His novel, called "Manson," and published by Vantage Press, is the story of a drunken, newly published writer, "a private man now required to be a public personality." It's a story Pascale first conceived when he was in high school, one that he says has evolved over later drafts.

Pascale spent a year in college after high school but then joined the Corps in 2003.

"I joined because of the war, and that was it," he said. "I figured I was going to put everything on hold."

But while he has devoted himself to the Marines, he didn't give up writing. During his free time while deployed, he often wrote by flashlight.

"When I got off work, my time was mine," he said. "In some sense, it was easier (than at home). There weren't many options. The only options were go to the gym, writing, reading or eating."

Back in the states, Pascale said he's excited to see other people reading his words.

"Half of my platoon has read it," he said. "Some of them have bough copies for friends and family. I never figured it would move on its own, or move because other people talked about it."

Pascale's next book, called "The Blank Page," follows the life of a schizophrenic insurance salesman. While "Manson" was a slim 87 pages, Pascale said the next one will be a more regular-length novel.

And while Pascale has very detailed journals, maps and other details from his combat tour with the 8th Engineer Support Battalion in Iraq, he said if he ever turned that information into a book, it won't be for a long time.

"I would never publish them until well after everything's over," he said.

"Manson" is available at Amazon.com for $8.95.