PDA

View Full Version : Negron named MCBJ Marine of the Year

thedrifter
03-16-06, 06:09 AM
Negron named MCBJ Marine of the Year
MCB Camp Butler
Story by Lance Cpl. Bryan A. Peterson

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan (March 16, 2006) -- Chicago native Cpl. Adrian M. Negron, an electrician with Facilities Maintenance Operations, was selected over eight other Marines from Marine Corps Bases Japan as the 2005 Marine of the Year by a board of five sergeants major Jan. 13.

“When I found out I won Marine of the Year, I was overwhelmed because I just won the meritorious corporal board,” Negron said.

Negron was selected not only for winning Marine of the Quarter boards and a promotion board, but for also giving his time to the community and excelling at his job, according to Maj. Bruce Bennett, assistant operations officer for FMO.

“Negron demonstrates leadership by having good physical fitness scores, work initiative, and by volunteering his time,” said Staff Sgt. Janella Hendricks, an electrician with FMO. “Negron is a driver for the commanding officer, fills a (staff non-commissioned officer’s billet), and works as a service desk clerk on top of doing his own job."

“Negron teaches English to Okinawan school children, coaches youth baseball and takes college classes in his spare time. This is why he really stands out,” Hendricks said.
Negron comes to work everyday to accomplish any task assigned to him and more, according to Master Sgt. Scott Sliger, the operations chief for FMO.

“Negron’s a self driver,” Sliger said. “The way he works is unusual for a person his age. I mean, he is only 20 years old and he works at a level most 20-year-old Marines don’t. He’s always at work on time. He finishes everything on time and is always doing more than he is supposed to do.”

Negron likes to credit everybody in his shop for his accomplishments and for preparing him for all of his board selections, especially his former boss, Staff Sgt. Trevor Gray.
“Staff Sgt. Gray taught me everything he knew,” Negron said. “But it was my section as a whole who helped me with my accomplishments.”

The Marines who win this award set themselves apart by knowing their job, giving to the community, running excellent (physical fitness tests), education, having their (required Professional Military Education) completed, Marine Corps knowledge, neatness and bearing, according to Sgt. Maj. Robert E. Mastriano, sergeant major of Marine Corps Bases Japan.

“We look at what Marines have accomplished the most thus far and we make our decision,” Mastriano said. “Marines who win the Marine of the Year award should be very proud of themselves because this award only comes around once a year on this island.”

Negron will also receive the Navy Achievement Medal for winning the Marine of the Year.

Ellie