PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Marine killed in Afghanistan, father says

thedrifter
03-15-06, 06:37 AM
Posted on Wed, Mar. 15, 2006
Wisconsin Marine killed in Afghanistan, father says
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAUK CITY, Wis. - A Marine from central Wisconsin died in an accident while on patrol in Afghanistan, his father said Tuesday.

Lance Cpl. Nicholas Anderson died Monday after the Humvee he was riding in rolled over as a group of Marines pursued a suspicious vehicle near Jalalabad, said his father, Sauk City Village President James Anderson. Anderson said his 21-year-old son received head injuries in the crash and died as he was being transported to a hospital.

Nicholas Anderson joined the Marines in January 2005 and began a six-month tour of Afghanistan two months ago with the Third Marines Weapons Platoon, his father said.

"I just know that he died fighting for what he believed in," James Anderson said. "He wanted to be a Marine, and even though it was a major risk he just wanted to go."

James Anderson said his son, a 2003 Sauk Prairie High School graduate, enjoyed riding his motorcycle, lifting weights, going fishing and hanging out with friends.

He joined the Wisconsin Army National Guard when he was 18, but an injured shoulder forced him to drop out. He then enlisted in the Marines.

"I was very nervous when he first joined the Marines because two words jumped into my head: Afghanistan and Iraq," James Anderson said. "I just supported him and prayed that it would end before he had to go over."

"I sent him so many letters since he went there. I finished the 11th one but I don't need to send it now."

Rest In Peace

Ellie