PDA

View Full Version : Son following dad’s footsteps into Marines

thedrifter
03-14-06, 07:22 AM
Son following dad’s footsteps into Marines
By Scott E. Williams
The Daily News

Published March 14, 2006
GALVESTON — As Edward Benavidez Jr. begins Marine Corps infantry school, he knows conflict in the Middle East is where he is ultimately headed.

“I’ll worry about that when I get to it,” he said. “I just have confidence in the people who are going to be training me and because they don’t let just anyone go in.”

If he has questions about combat in a foreign land, he can always ask his dad.

Edward Benavidez Sr., now a captain with the Galveston Police Department, rejoined the Marines in 1965, after a stint from 1958 to 1962. In an era of draft-dodging and antiwar protests, Benavidez wanted to be part of the action.

“I had left as a lance corporal, but I accepted a reduction to private first class to get back in,” he said. “My condition was that I would be part of the first unit going to Vietnam, and I didn’t have to repeat boot camp.”

Benavidez Sr. ended up extending for six months and then volunteering to return, to be part of the U.S. forces in the Tet Offensive.

“The North Vietnamese Army, they were good fighters,” he said. “There were a lot of casualties in that operation, something like 70 percent of the men I originally went there with.”

Still, when Benavidez Jr. showed interest in the military, his father’s first thought was not for him to follow the combat experience.

“I had taken him to the Coast Guard base, because I wanted to keep him out of harm’s way,” the elder Benavidez said. “He said no, he wanted to be a Marine.”

Benavidez Jr. was recently home on leave, from boot camp, and said his dad’s advice to listen and absorb everything his drill instructors and other trainers said helped him get through.

On a forced march called the Reaper Hike, many in his platoon fell out, but young Benavidez, who had mastered controlled breathing, made it.

“When you get up there, you feel like you’ve really accomplished something,” he said. “Of course, then you realize you’ve got to go back down.”

Pat Benavidez, wife of the older Edward and mother to the younger one, said her belief in another father would help her through, when her son was overseas.

“I just trust God will protect him,” she said. “My faith is my foundation.”

Ellie