View Full Version : Marine inspired by father's patriotism dies by suicide bomb

thedrifter
03-14-06, 05:58 AM
MODESTO
Iraq war victim always wanted to be soldier
Marine inspired by father's patriotism dies by suicide bomb
- Cicero A. Estrella, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Bunny Long was only 5 when he dressed in an Army uniform and posed for a picture, which since has been displayed prominently on his mother's dresser. Even at an early age, Long knew he would join the military.

"He always told my mom he wanted to be a soldier," said his sister, Sokha Long.

The Modesto man joined the Marine Corps in July 2004 instead. On Friday, the 22-year-old lance corporal was killed in action in the al Anbar province of Iraq, the Defense Department said.

A suicide bomber drove a vehicle full of explosives into a building that Long had been guarding, according to his family in Modesto.

"My brother had always been patriotic," said Sokha Long, 26. "He took his job very seriously and was very proud of what he did."

She said her brother learned that patriotism from their father, Sim Long, who served 10 years in the Cambodian military until the 1975 takeover by the communist Khmer Rouge.

"Obviously, my father was a big influence," she said. "He was very proud that his son was serving his country."

Sim Long, 61, worked in labor camps during the Khmer Rouge's reign from 1975-79, during which more than 1.7 million people died from executions, starvation or forced labor. Long and his wife, Yen Chea, 51, lost an infant son to starvation.

In 1979, Long, Chea and their three children crossed the border into Thailand. The family gained refugee status three years later and moved to Memphis, Tenn., where Bunny Long was born.

In 1985, the family arrived in Modesto. Long and Chea supported their family by working on farms.

Bunny Long graduated from Modesto High School in 2002 and attended a local community college for a year before joining the Marines.

His sister described him as a popular person who kept in touch with elementary school friends who had moved to other parts of the country.

"There was never a time when he was by himself," she said.

He was also a hip-hop fan, especially of the Tupac Shakur song, "Dear Mama."

"He was very close to my mom," Sokha Long said. "I think the one thing she wants people to know is that he was a very good son. He always took advice from our parents and never raised a voice to them."

Long was assigned to Headquarters Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force based at Camp Lejeune, N.C. He had earned several honors, including the National Defense Service Medal, according to Marine Corps spokesman Lt. Barry Edwards.

In addition to his parents and sister, Long is survived by his brother, Bunna Long, 31, and another sister, Sokhom Long, 25, both of Modesto.

E-mail Cicero A. Estrella at cestrella@sfchronicle.com.

Rest In Peace

Ellie