PDA

View Full Version : Iwakuni Marines serve up morale, motivation, hot chow

thedrifter
03-14-06, 05:46 AM
Iwakuni Marines serve up morale, motivation, hot chow
MCAS Iwakuni
Story by Lance Cpl. John Scott Rafoss

AIBANO, Japan (March 14, 2006) -- Two Marines from Marine Wing Support Squadron 171 served hot food to Marines from 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division during Exercise Forest Light at Camp Aibano, Feb. 19 to March 3, which came as a surprise to the lone star leathernecks.

During the three week cold weather training exercise, Cpl. Joseph D. Sliva and Lance Cpl. Daniel J. Gary were responsible for cooking two tray rations a day per Marine, giving the Texans plenty of energy.

“It’s unexpected and a pleasant surprise to get hot chow out in cold weather training,” said Lance Cpl. Dylan J. Bourgeois, 1/23 field radio operator and native of Beaumont, Texas. “I expected it to be nothing but MREs (Meals Ready to Eat). Being here in the cold you have to eat it quick before it gets too cold.”

The meals consisted of eggs, beef and potatoes in the mornings. Spaghetti, meatballs and chicken were served in the evenings. Despite the fact that the menu is very limited, serving the infantrymen field chow is a noteworthy duty.

“I am out here to increase morale and motivate fellow Marines by providing hot chow twice a day,” said Sliva, native of Cleveland, Ohio. “If you eat MREs three times a day, it will make you constipated. It is healthy to eat regular hot chow. Your body doesn’t have to use as much water to break it down as an MRE.”

The Marines responsible for cooking are required to wake up at least an hour before everyone else. They began the day in the back of a humvee cooking and heating the meals. While in the back of the humvee, the Marines used a tray ration heating system to heat up the food. The heating system is one big silver box and uses steam to heat up the tray rations.

“Working in the back of a humvee is very easy and efficient,” said Gary, native of Rembert, S.C. “If we have to be on the move, we could cook and drive at the same time.”

According to many of the service members, not only was the food served steaming hot; the chow was more appetizing than the dreaded MREs.

“The food is a lot better than when I was in Iraq, just eating MREs three times a day,” said Petty Officer 3rd Class Thai T. Le, MWSS-171 corpsman and native of Huntington Beach, Calif. “It’s difficult to make a pretty good meal with the ingredients the cooks have. They do a pretty good job at cooking and serving the food.”

“The tray ration that we serve out here is basically just one big MRE,” said Gary. “But it is healthier.”

The rations not only serve as a morale booster to the troops, but are also crucial in keeping up their physical performance and health.

“In a cold weather environment, your body is like a machine,” said Le. “You need the right amount of food, calories to keep you warm, healthy and able to function properly.”

“After eating hot chow in a cold weather environment, I feel like I have enough energy to take on Hulk Hogan and still have some energy left to take care of my Marines,” added Le.

Ellie