PDA

View Full Version : To serve, to become

thedrifter
03-13-06, 06:24 PM
To serve, to become
8th Marine Corps District
Story by Sgt. Matthew O. Holly

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (March 13, 2006) -- A Twenty-nine Palms Marine participated in a United States naturalization ceremony, along with 33 other people from 20 different countries, more than 60 students here in Fort Collins and political representatives from the national, state and local levels.

Corporal Artyom N. Dutchak was born in the Ukraine and moved to Sterling, Colo. in 1999 when he was 14 years old along with his sister Alyoha and his mother Nataliya Nickels. Shortly after graduating from Sterling High School, Dutchak took the oath to become a United States Marine.

“I have always had the desire to serve my country,” said Dutchak. “In order to vote I have to be a citizen. That is why I felt it was important."

For Dutchak’s mother Nataliya, Artyom's citizenship means everything to her because she cares for and has faith in this country.

Dutchak’s sister expressed how proud she was of her brother shortly after the ceremony.

“It was a very proud moment for me when he received his citizenship. It was the same feeling I had when he graduated boot camp, but he’s more relaxed now,” said Alyoha with a smile.

During the ceremony, which is hosted annually by the students and faculty of Dunn IB World School in Fort Collins as part of a civics lesson, the crowd came to their feet when they announced Dutchak’s name as he approached the podium in his dress blue alphas.

“The Marines always look sharp in their blues,” said Frank Nickels, Dutchak’s stepfather. “There are many people here that don’t even know him, but because of that uniform, they will stand up and give him the respect he is deserves- the Marines really stand out.”

Dutchak has just returned from his second tour in Iraq, serving as a scout on the sniper team and was decorated with the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal while with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, I Marine Division. He plans on attending Colorado State University as soon as his enlistment is over.

For more information about becoming a naturalized United States Citizen, visit www.uscus.gov.

Ellie