PDA

View Full Version : Habitat the Marine Corps Way

thedrifter
03-13-06, 06:11 PM
Habitat the Marine Corps Way
8th Marine Corps District
Story by Sgt. Matthew O. Holly

MARINE CORPS RECRUITING STATION DENVER, Colo. (March 13, 2006) -- It was a perfect day in Denver to build a house for Habitat for Humanity -- assuming your idea of perfect is 12 degrees below zero.

The weather factor, however, did not deter the Marines and poolees of Recruiting Substation Metro South, Recruiting Station Denver, who teamed up to build a home in the Denver area as a part of their weekly pool function.

“The weather, in fact, made the experience much more memorable and rewarding,” said Staff Sgt. James D. Regan, canvassing recruiter, RSS Metro South. “When one steps out of his comfort zone to help others, whether it’s physical or mental, I think it says a lot about where their heart is.”

Gunnery Sgt. Scott R. Vonbrutt, NCOIC of RSS Metro South, was very pleased with the turnout.

“It shows the commitment that these future Marines have towards the Corps,” he said. “How many people do you know that would show up after waking up to sub-zero temperatures? Not many. This is truly an outstanding group of young men and woman.”

“I felt that I needed to be there,” said Aaron M. Gillaspie, a poolee at RSS Metro South. “I made the commitment back when it was 60 degrees, but I know they were counting on me being there. What kind of Marine would I make if I couldn’t commit to a one-day event?”

“It was an amazing experience to be out here with all of our poolees and fellow Marines,” said Staff Sgt. Jose J. Villapizano. “We all get to learn [about] each other on a different level. It’s a bonding event.”

Habitat for Humanity, according to their mission statement, works with people from all walks of life to build simple, decent houses in which people can live and grow. Habitat is a community based home-ownership program. Homeowner candidates and volunteers build throughout the metro area.

At noon, the poolees broke for lunch and indulged in Meals Ready to Eat. The MREs, with their thermal heating pouches, were a welcome sight. After a short break, it was back to work for the Marines, poolees and construction crew on hand.

“We do this to help prepare these young men and women for boot camp,” said Vonbrutt. “We hope to teach them to get involved with something bigger than themselves-- just like the Marines do.”

Ellie