PDA

View Full Version : Marine stationed in Iraq warmly welcomed back to Port St. Lucie

thedrifter
03-13-06, 07:09 AM
Marine stationed in Iraq warmly welcomed back to Port St. Lucie
By Sarah Prohaska
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, March 13, 2006

PORT ST. LUCIE — A cool breeze swept over Trevor Becker and his family and friends as they gathered Sunday afternoon at Lyngate Park.

The weather was so gorgeous and the Florida sky so blue, the 19-year-old Marine cringed when he described the extreme temperatures he endured for the past seven months while stationed in the Middle East. When he first arrived in Iraq last summer, his unit was assigned to cleanup duty, but they had to stop because anything made of metal burned their hands.

There were days, he said, when the thermometer climbed to 150 degrees. But then the winter turned bitterly cold.

"But today is awesome," Becker said while at the Port St. Lucie park surrounded by loved ones.

Sunday was a day for Becker and his friends and family, some of whom traveled from New Jersey, to celebrate that he was home once again — even if he'll only be here for a few more days. His mother, Sisi, organized a barbecue and invited all those who expressed concerns about her son while he was stationed in Iraq.

About 50 people attended.

The Becker family has lived in Port St. Lucie for about 13 years. They said moral support from friends in the community helped them get though the experience.

"There were lots and lots of people praying for Trevor," Sisi Becker said.

Trevor's dad, Robert Becker, said his son is scheduled to go back to his base at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina in about a week.

"Before he leaves again we just wanted to show him how much we missed him," he said.

Trevor Becker graduated from St. Lucie West Centennial High School in 2004 and served as vice president of his senior class. He earned a Bright Futures Scholarship, but wasn't quite ready to use it when he graduated.

"I wanted to serve my country and maybe get in better shape," he said of his reason for joining the Marines. He entered boot camp in September 2004, right after Hurricane Frances hit Port St. Lucie. He was deployed to Iraq just nine months later.

He spent most of his time overseas serving in the Al-Anbar province of Iraq. His unit, he said, did everything from helping with the Iraqi elections to conducting security sweeps of the city.

He came back home in late February as a lance corporal with a combat action ribbon.

Trevor said he believes conditions improved in Iraq during the months he was stationed there.

"I could see a difference," he said. "I could see the job we were doing was making a difference. As we learned the language, we were able to make friends."

Since he's been home, though, Trevor hasn't slowed down.

He's squeezed in several trips to Miami and Orlando, a cruise to the Bahamas and even skydiving. He doesn't know yet where his next military deployment will take him.

"I'm just trying to soak it up," he said.

Ellie